What is *worldbuilding* for?

pemerton

Legend
is 'Gygaxian play' on this continuum, is it a totally different sort of game, and if it is on the continuum, where? I think that Gygaxian Play is 'game over all else', that is, it is an ultimately and virtually completely gamist enterprise. Is RP important in that mode of play? No, not really, or the rules wouldn't just gank off characters left and right, nor emphasize being able to create a new one in 1 minute flat. There's even a place in OD&D where the rules say to introduce the new character immediately, logic be damned. This is fine as a game concept, just pop in the new guy! As RP its incoherent. Now, maybe in another place Gygax says "yeah, come up with some sort of lampshade for this, maybe wait till the PCs get to a new room and put the character there" or something like that.

I'd note that all the advice in DMG about time tracking is a must and etc is all in the same vein. Its not about REALISM, its about making time into a fungible sort of currency that characters have to spend in order to get certain things done! If you don't track it, then its not really a resource, just like if you told the PCs "hey, don't worry about gold, you can have whatever stuff you want." I guess "keep track of money" was too obvious to actually make into advice though!

So, I'm loath to draw too many conclusions from dungeon crawling OD&D. I think it has deliberate elements to add player agency, but it is also intended to act as a test of skill and not a story telling experience, at least in its most archetypal form. I believe that as soon as Gygax went beyond that then things were added to the game like "let the player find a blank spot on the map for his fighter to build a keep on and let him decide what the spot looks like, etc. within reason"
This is basically a restatement of the OP!

Gygaxian dungeon crawling isn't about story or character, except as a byproduct which is fun to muck around with (like the "story" that results from playing Talisman).

Another important thing about Gygaxian dungeon-crawling is that the dungeon isn't just a fiction: it's an actual physical artefact, a map, which is analogous to a board that the players move their pieces on. Choosing where to go on the board is an exercise in agency: at first it might be blind choice, but as you get better, and have repeated forays, you learn more and more and so make better and better choices.

Modern games don't have the world as physical artefact; they don't have the repeat play so that players gradually learn the maze; etc. They're quite different. (Bracketing some OSR play, obviously.)

pemerton

Legend
Except in the case of Robert Downey Jr./Tony Stark we're not talking about an author (at least I don't think RDJ writes any of the scripts), we're talking about a middle step - a player, as it were; tasked with taking someone else's authorship, infusing it with personality, and bringing it to life on the screen.
Who writes the script for players in a RPG? Who writes all the narration, the stage directions, etc?

This is why I think that under your preferred model of RPGing the players have only modest agency at best

That's not where player agency lies, so why worry about it?

Player agency, or the exercise thereof, is what got the PCs here into this orc-infested castle in the first place. They didn't have to come here*. They could have gone to any number of other places and-or done any number of other things; yet they decided to come here.
Well, this takes me back to something I said a long way upthread: having six APs to choose from, or being able to mix-and-match bits and pieces of APs, doesn't make it a player-driven rather than GM driven game. If it did, then a really long choose your own adventure, with lots and lots of options, would be a highlight for player agency. Which they clearly it wouldn't be, as no matter how long it is, someone else wrote it all down!

What she's authoring now may be a direct result of something that happened in the fiction half an hour ago. The orcs are going to the underground well now because the PCs cut off their surface water supply this morning.
I'll try again.

Here's a story: half an hour ago, the PCs cut off the orcs' surface water supply.

Now, what happens next in the story? Do the orcs (i) go to the underground well, or (ii) go to the PCs and try and steal their waterskins?

Which "effect" follows from the "cause" of the PCs cutting off their water supply?

Answer: until the GM makes it up we don't know! And the very fact that the GM has to make it up shows that what the GM is authoring now is not a direct result of something that happened in the fiction half an hour ago. Rather, it's a direct result of some mental process the GM goes through when s/he imagines what might happen if some orcs had their water supply cut off.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Yes, the effect can happen without the fiction - because the fiction doesn't exist yet the effect happens!

Show me an example of the effect of a successful fireball effect coming AFTER a use magic device declaration by the player with no fiction happening at any point prior to the fireball.

(Demonstration: I am now going to make you think about Barnaby Joyce as Deputy Prime Minister of Australia. I can do that even though Barnaby may, for all I know, have resigned by now - I haven't followed the news since this morning, when he was still hanging on. The effect my words have on you can occur whether or not Barnaby Joyce is Deputy PM - this is why you can't tell whether or not someone is lying, or whether or not a statement is false, just be identifying the effect that it has on you. Bertrand Russell made this point in a series of essays published around 1910-12.)

The effect can't happen without thinking about the fiction. But that's a real event, not an imaginary one. And in the context of a RPG, it's a highly social event with a pretty complex structure..
This is not the same as the situation I am talking about. Try the situation I laid out above. If you are thinking about the fiction, the fiction does in fact exist, even if it exists in an intangible state.

Last edited:

pemerton

Legend
Show me an example of the effect of a successful fireball effect coming AFTER a use magic device declaration by the player with no fiction happening at any point prior to the fireball.
I gave you an example.

Here's another:

Player: I'm a rouge - I pull the fireball wand out of my backapck and use my UMD to activate it!
GM: OK, roll the d20.

<die is rolled, table consulted>

GM: OK, you succeed - a fireball blasts from the wand!​

No fiction happened - only real things in the real world (eg the player pretending to be a rogue who pulls a wand from a backpack, some dice being rolled, some tables being read, the GM telling a story that follows on from the player's "let's pretend", etc).

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Who writes the script for players in a RPG? Who writes all the narration, the stage directions, etc?

This is why I think that under your preferred model of RPGing the players have only modest agency at best

The players write their own script. They have full control over their PCs words and attempted actions. What they don't control, and which has nothing to do with player agency, is the stage setting(game world) and the results of their attempted actions(unless they have an mechanical ability that gives such control).

Well, this takes me back to something I said a long way upthread: having six APs to choose from, or being able to mix-and-match bits and pieces of APs, doesn't make it a player-driven rather than GM driven game. If it did, then a really long choose your own adventure, with lots and lots of options, would be a highlight for player agency. Which they clearly it wouldn't be, as no matter how long it is, someone else wrote it all down!

No. What gives them agency is the ability to leave the paths and go or do what they want within the power of their PCs. Sure, if they are being railroaded down an AP, their agency is limited. I don't think anyone here is suggesting that they railroad their players.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I gave you an example.

Here's another:
Player: I'm a rouge - I pull the fireball wand out of my backapck and use my UMD to activate it!
GM: OK, roll the d20.​

Okay, see. Now you've gone and made me imagine a piece of moving make-up.

<die is rolled, table consulted>

GM: OK, you succeed - a fireball blasts from the wand!
No fiction happened - only real things in the real world (eg the player pretending to be a rogue who pulls a wand from a backpack, some dice being rolled, some tables being read, the GM telling a story that follows on from the player's "let's pretend", etc).
I disagree with that statement. As soon as the player says he is a rogue that pulls out the wand and attempts to use it, that event has to happen in the fiction BEFORE you can roll the D20. If it doesn't happen inside the fiction, no mechanics are used to see the result because nothing happened to initiate those mechanics. Then also inside the fiction the rogue has to attempt to use his skill to activate the wand. THEN, and only then, do you leave the fiction to roll the D20 and consult the skill table.

The process goes like this. Declaration by player initiates the action inside the fiction. The action inside the fiction initiates the use of the mechanics. The result of the mechanics determines success or failure with the fireball. Success with the fireball might initiate book keeping on the part of the DM and/or players.

The part I don't think you are understanding is that the skill and the wand do not exist in any usable form outside of the fiction. Outside of the fiction they are only mechanics that sit there like a lump. To get those mechanics moving and usable requires the in-fiction PC to do something.

Last edited:

innerdude

Legend
Here's a story: half an hour ago, the PCs cut off the orcs' surface water supply.

Now, what happens next in the story? Do the orcs (i) go to the underground well, or (ii) go to the PCs and try and steal their waterskins?

Which "effect" follows from the "cause" of the PCs cutting off their water supply?

Answer: until the GM makes it up we don't know! And the very fact that the GM has to make it up shows that what the GM is authoring now is not a direct result of something that happened in the fiction half an hour ago. Rather, it's a direct result of some mental process the GM goes through when s/he imagines what might happen if some orcs had their water supply cut off.

To carry it a bit further --- let's suppose that there's far more options available to "forward" the fiction than even that.

• The orcs immediately band together and go on a raiding rampage to a nearby village.
  • The orcs are okay with it, because they didn't really like the taste of that water anyway, and can sustain healthful hydration from the demonic fountain that's spouting blood on Level 19 of the dungeon.
  • The orcs are convinced that it was a sign from Gruumsh, and they should immediately evacuate the area.
  • The orcs laugh and smile and eat apple pies together with their pet winter wolf, while wearing sombreros and stilts because clearly these orcs are acrobats.

Now of course the argument here might be, "Well none of those are realistic! None of those follow-up results seem to follow from the authored fictional cause!"

And this is true---but it doesn't change the fact that no matter what result is chosen by the GM, he or she is still the one authoring the fiction.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Agatha Christie's crime stories aren't news reports. She's not discovering whodunnit, by following the clues and tracing back the causes.

She's making it up!
Sure she is, but repeatedly bringing novels into this to use as examples doesn't help at all; as novels don't have players directing where the story goes and can - unlike just about any RPG campaign I've ever heard of - be written from the end forward if that's what the author wants to do (e.g. Ms. Christie could in theory start her thought process with the end scene in the plot and work backwards from there - this isn't really possible in an RPG unless it's a very hard railroad).

Movies or plays are a better example, though still not perfect; as there we have actors between the author and the finished product. However, except in improv theater the actors don't have much if any say in where the story goes, unlike an RPG where the players do.

In the context of your PC's sword swing, the only way anyone knows that the sword was swung true is because there is a social process, which includes rolling dice and looking up to hit charts and the like, which tells us what the next bit of the fiction is to be: we all agree that f the dice come up a hit, then the fiction includes the sword swinging true; if the dice come up a miss, the the fiction includes a failed attempt to hurt the orc.
[MENTION=23751]Maxperson[/MENTION] summed this up very nicely a few posts above, where he points out how the fiction and reality kinda bounce back and forth in affecting each other. You're only looking at how reality affects the fiction.

So the "causal relationship" between sword swing and injured orc is authored in response to the dice rolls.
But it's still authored, and it's still causal.

The fictional event doesn't cause you to roll a d20. Your action declaration "I attack the orc", perhaps followed by a nod from the GM, is what causes you to roll the die.
Were there no orc present in the fiction at that moment neither the action declaration nor subsequent roll would happen...

This is what I am saying about analysis: no one is obliged to analyse, but once you do you have to at least try and get it right. Saying that events in the fiction cause people to do stuff is obviously not right. Look at the actual procedures of the game - it is people talking to one another that causes them to pick up dice, consult charts, etc. It is these actual social processes that lead to the creation of some fiction. The fiction doesn't create the social processes!
Social processes are required to get the ball rolling, to set up the initial foundation for the fiction (the players roll up characters, the DM builds a world and sets some sort of initial scene for the PCs to start in); but once the PCs start moving through the game world and doing things in the fiction then those actions and that fiction starts creating and-or modifying social processes at the table. If the fiction during that first session* leads, say, to a meeting with the local mayor then the words and actions of the players at the table are extremely likely to be quite different than had the fiction led to, say, a battle against a band of orcs.

* - here it doesn't matter how the fiction is generated, or by who; only that it is generated at all.

Because the real world is not a fiction that someone authored. Asking who has agency over the content of the real world doesn't make any sense. The real world isn't content/I], it's actual stuff that enters into actual causal processes.
I suspect [MENTION=82106]AbdulAlhazred[/MENTION] might beg to differ, based on his post #925 above. :)

At the RPG table, the players can declare "I pick up a rock and throw it at the window." Who decides what happens? Who decides if there is even a rock or a window ready to hand? Until we know how these things are established, how can we work out who has what sort of agency?
Sigh.

You're defining player agency quite differently than I am, I think; and looking for it in places where it should not be found while ignoring its existence (or, where you do occasionally choose to acknowledge it, doing so in a demeaning and dismissive manner) in the various places where it in fact exists. Exhibit A: your constant reference to players being able to decide what to do within the game world as being no better than a choose-your-own-adventure book.

Another important thing about Gygaxian dungeon-crawling is that the dungeon isn't just a fiction: it's an actual physical artefact, a map, which is analogous to a board that the players move their pieces on. Choosing where to go on the board is an exercise in agency: at first it might be blind choice, but as you get better, and have repeated forays, you learn more and more and so make better and better choices.

Modern games don't have the world as physical artefact; they don't have the repeat play so that players gradually learn the maze; etc. They're quite different.
Yikes.

First off, who says 'modern games' don't have maps or other physical representations of the game world or parts thereof? How, without a map, is a DM (or the players, for that matter) supposed to remember where everything geographically is in the game world; how long it takes to get from place to place; where the mountains and rivers and seas and cities (and adventure sites!) are; which halls and doors in the mansion are trapped and which aren't, and so on?

Second off, who says 'repeat play' doesn't exist in modern games? Do PCs in modern games never fail on a mission and try again, learning more about it each time until they succeed?

Lanefan

hawkeyefan

Legend
You're the one who said we were talking about GM-driven games - I'm just following your lead!

If, in fact, the players are contributing the key material (eg the stakes, the context, the motivations that are going to be actually salient in play - see my reply just above to @innerdude - etc) then why would you describe it as GM-driven?

I actually am only describing it that way because my understanding of your views is that is how you would see it.

I don't necessarily allow player authorship of fictional elements through action declaration. I'm not necessarily against that in theory, and I may allow it in some ways (establishing a contact through some kind of Diplomacy or Gather Information check would be a good example). But it really depends on the action and goal in question.

I think that saying that "all games contain elements of both "styles"" is, in the context of a thread like this, mostly unhelpful. It adds nothing to the analysis, and tends to make everything dissolve into porridge. It makes it impossible, for instance, for @innerdude to make the point he just made in his most recent post. It means that we can't talk about the difference between @Lanefan's example of the GM making up all this off-screen fiction about the harlot, and the way that @Manbearcat might conceivably have produced similar fiction using DungeonWorld.

So it is a binary choice in your opinion.

I disagree with that, and with the idea that thinking the opposite makes discussions or examples impossible. I think my game contains both elements, yet I could follow the D&D/Dungeon World comparison done by Manbearcat, and Innerdude's point just above is equally clear. I agree with him that when a player can add to the fictional world, they become more involved in the game.

I honestly don't know much about how you run your game. I haven't read a lot of actual play examples from it. You persist in calling it GM-driven (as best I can tell from your posts and my recollection of them) but you also say that the players have a lot of agency in respect of the content of the shared fiction, and I am left trying to understand what you have in mind.

All I can say is stuff like this: if, at key moments of crunch (eg trying to find the important map; trying to persuade an NPC to accept a bribe; etc) the outcome depends to a significant extent on what the GM decided about the fiction in advance (eg s/he wrote in her notes that the map is in the kitchen; she has already made a note that the only official in town who will take a bribe is Old Ludo the cemetery gatekeeper; etc), or what the GM secretly decides about the fiction at that moment; then the players are, at that key moment of play, exercising little agency over the content of the shared fiction.

This god-awful map example again. Devoid of any sense of context or why it matters or anything else. A hastily sketched example that unsurprisingly does not hold up to scrutiny.

Now, I know other folks have defended the GM denying the player the ability to author the map into existence. And that's fine. I may or may not agree. But without a more meaningful example, it's hard to say. The bribery issue is simpler....unless I had a compelling reason to have pre-determined all the guards in the location and their disposition toward bribery, then I would leave that up to the results of the player's roll. I'm all for that. I don't like to thwart players' ideas when it comes to solving their problems.

But that map example....how can one say? If the map is important to the players.....let's say it holds the location of one PC's father's sword, the recovery of which is an important stated goal for that character....then I would imagine that the discovery of the map is some kind of goal. Allowing the player to simply produce the map in a kitchen is horrible from a story point of view, and I woudl not allow that at all. Agency be damned at that point, although I don't think any of my players would actually attempt such a thing, so no agency would actually be harmed in the making of this example.

This is why I used the somewhat cheeky example of Boromir authoring the presence of Sauron at the Council of Rivendell. The player knows the goal, so the character wills it into being. It seems a horrible way to play, and I believe is the kind of play the Czege Principle points out as being unfun.

In my game, such a specific goal for the players would not be sitting in some random kitchen. It would likely have a specified location. In this sense, I realize I am being very "GM driven", but I don't really see the reason to avoid this. I don't really think it actually robs players of agency, either, except in the sense that they cannot author the presence of the map wherever they may like. Which to me, is a pretty broad application of agency. I also don't allow players to kick me in the nethers....but I don't think anyone would say that's denying them agency. Maybe a few people, but not most.

Now, if you're talking about a map that the player has suggested, that's different. Not something the GM has in mind beforehand, but an idea that occurs to the player and they run with it. So they find themselves in the gnoll warmaster's quarters, having killed him and secured the location. And one of the player says "I'd like to see if there are any maps that may show the areas the gnolls might be targeting?" In such a case, I'd likely be happy they suggested this and allow them to search, and have the result of the check reveal the presence or usefulness of the maps.

In this sense, my game would be very "Player Driven" I believe.

So it is a situational thing, depending on the needs of the game and the story. I don't know if granting players carte blanche to introduce elements into the fiction through action declaration is always a good idea. Or that it's agency in the sense that we typically ascribe to the kind desired in a game. Of course, principled use of such techniques can likely produce a great game experience...I wouldn't say it cannot. But generally, I don't think that having certain elements of the fiction being the GM's purview is a bad thing.

Or stuff like this: if your game is run in a similar way to what the Alexandrian describes with his "three clue rule" and "node based design", then you are running a game in which most of the agency over the content of the shared fiction resides with the GM.

If sometimes your game is like that, but sometimes like something else, then that means that sometimes the GM is the predominant author of the shared fiction, and at other times the players have agency over it. That sort of precision is - in the context of a thread whose aim is analysis - far more helpful than a bland statement that tries to average everything out. (For the same reason that, when you're analysing human thermal comfort, it sheds little light on the matter to describe the person whose head is in the fridge and feet are in the oven as having the same overall thermal experience as the person who is in a room heated to 40 degrees.)

I believe perhaps you missed my exchange with AbdulAlhazred some pages back where we talked about a skill check establishing a new player contact NPC.

I do move from one to the other. Almost everything that is happening in my game is based on elements my players have introduced through character backstory and connections they've established in play. But there is also a story I've come up with that connects all their stories, and weaves in and out of them. The actual play tends to depend on what they want to do. I wait until they've narrowed in on an area of interest, and that's what we explore. I occasionally, but not very often, introduce events that may occur that demand their attention, but when I do so, these are usually drawn from player cues rather than invented whole cloth by me.

So I do have "worldbuilding" elements as you describe them. Most of these don't come into play when it comes to action declaration and resolution, but are more macro and story related; e.g. Iggwilv has formed an alliance with Yug-Anark and Eclavdra, and what that may mean for the world (or words, really).

I don't really tend to think of my game as player driven or GM driven....it contains elements of both. What it may lack when compared to Burning Wheel or even Dungeon World is mechanics that support a more player driven style of play. Instead it's all in how we've come to play and the expectations that we have now.

Last edited:

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
The players write their own script for their characters' lines (i.e. what their characters actually say) and provide stage direction for what the characters do (their in-game actions) and how they move (where they go within the game world). That's almost infintely more agency than an actor has on a movie set or a stage.

Yet again, you're falsely seeing player agency level only in terms of how much of the stage or set they get to build; where stage-building is in fact not even a part of their job description. Get over this - or at least step back from it a ways - and this discussion will go a lot further.

Sigh, again.

See above post regarding dismissal of actual player agency in favour of your own definition of it.

I'll try again.

Either is valid; and either (or both) could happen or try to happen.

Yet it's the fictional cutting off of that fictional water supply that has caused the DM to go through those real-world mental processes that she otherwise quite likely would not have...and around and around we go. :)

Lanefan

Remove ads