Kate Welch is WotC's New D&D Designer

WotC has a brand new D&D designer, and it's Kate Welch! She plays Rosie Beestinger, the Lightfoot Halfing Monk in Acquisitions Inc's "C Team". She starts work on February 2nd. That's all I know for the moment, but more info if I hear it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
WotC has a brand new D&D designer, and it's Kate Welch! She plays Rosie Beestinger, the Lightfoot Halfing Monk in Acquisitions Inc's "C Team". She starts work on February 2nd. That's all I know for the moment, but more info if I hear it!

amVFPaW2_400x400.jpg

[video=youtube;fRsURJf4SjQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRsURJf4SjQ[/video]
[FONT=&amp]Save[/FONT][FONT=&amp]Save[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT]

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Naw Morrus just doesn't report on most of their hires and departures (because I assume others are not letting him know and he can't be trolling LinkedIn every day for this sort of stuff). I've said before my glance at linkedin hires shows they've basically doubled their staff since the launch of D&D but for some reason that gets ignored and people continue to make the claim that D&D is working on a "skeleton crew".

Now maybe my count is wrong. I am not being precise with it, drilling down on each person and title. But, it's looked that way to me for a while. This is not a "senior" position we're talking about with Kate Welch. It's just another lower level position - one of over a dozen (of various tasks and titles) I think that WOTC has either assigned over or borrowed over from the Magic side of things, the Hasbro side of things. or new hired.
Actually, that's not the case here: she was brought on to be in a similar role to Crawford and Perkins: Mearls made a big deal on social media about hiring a new book lead, they broke WotC HR system with applicants. She will be responsible for being lead on a book every year, which is a major impact on 5E. Good for her.

Sent from my [device_name] using EN World mobile app

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Actually, that's not the case here: she was brought on to be in a similar role to Crawford and Perkins: Mearls made a big deal on social media about hiring a new book lead, they broke WotC HR system with applicants. She will be responsible for being lead on a book every year, which is a major impact on 5E. Good for her.

She does not have the title level of Crawford, who is "D&D Lead Designer and Managing Editor". Her title is I believe "Designer, D&D Team". I don't know about Perkins, but she is not at the level of Crawford. I don't even think she's one below the level of Crawford, I think she's two below him on that org chart. Mearls did not make a "big deal" about it in my opinion, he just made a mention of it and others made a big deal out of it. This is a fairly low level design job. What's all the hubbub about?

Last edited by a moderator:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
She does not have the title level of Crawford, who is "D&D Lead Designer and Managing Editor". Her title is I believe "Designer, D&D Team". I don't know about Perkins, but she is not at the level of Crawford. I don't even think she's one below the level of Crawford, I think she's two below him on that org chart. Mearls did not make a "big deal" about it in my opinion, he just made a mention of it and others made a big deal out of it. This is a fairly low level design job. What's all the hubbub about?
Again, look at the job rec: she'll be the project lead on a book every year, writing, designing and coordinating other resources. This is not a low level job. It will have an effect on the 5E line. Still, it's not that big a deal, but there are some weird strains of jealousy in this thread.

So they don’t make choices for their characters? I would posit that not role-playing is impossible in a role-playing game :)

Wrong again! :) They do of course make choices, but every choice is is grounded in tactical or metagame concerns, no decision is character driven. You might as well call playing Monopoly to be roleplaying.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Wrong again! :) They do of course make choices, but every choice is is grounded in tactical or metagame concerns, no decision is character driven. You might as well call playing Monopoly to be roleplaying.

And no social interactions with NPCs ever? And no interactions with the environment?

Mistwell

Again, look at the job rec: she'll be the project lead on a book every year, writing, designing and coordinating other resources. This is not a low level job.

In terms of the design team, it really is low level. Are you still claiming she is equal ("similar role") to Crawford (D&D Lead Designer and Managing Editor), or have you punted on that claim?

Last edited by a moderator:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
In terms of the design team, it really is low level. Are you still claiming she is equal ("similar role") to Crawford, or have you punted on that claim?
She is responsible for overseeing a book a year: design-wise, that's not low level at all. I'm not going to argue on the org chart, but do note that it has been changed recently with Mearl's promotion.

Mistwell

She is responsible for overseeing a book a year: design-wise, that's not low level at all. I'm not going to argue on the org chart, but do note that it has been changed recently with Mearl's promotion.

If it's not low level, then name one person below her on the design team. I am pretty sure the answer is "there is nobody". She is the lowest level of the design team. I mean are you arguing she has more responsibilities than some people on the design team of another company like Paizo or prior iterations of WOTC for prior editions or something? Because in terms of WOTC right now, this isn't a subjective question. As far as I know she is, literally, the lowest person on the totem poll for the design team.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
If it's not low level, then name one person below her on the design team. I am pretty sure the answer is "there is nobody". She is the lowest level of the design team. I mean are you arguing she has more responsibilities than some people on the design team of another company like Paizo or prior iterations of WOTC for prior editions or something? Because in terms of WOTC right now, this isn't a subjective question. As far as I know she is, literally, the lowest person on the totem poll for the design team.
Um, the team is her, Crawford and Perkins under Mearls: so, by seniority and title, sure, nobody is lower in that group. But she has much more responsibility than many other people already employed, such as Matt Sernett.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

Remove ads