Warriors of Waterdeep: New Free to Play D&D Mobile Game Coming Soon

Once again instead of making a really good CRPG based on 5th edition, they do a gimmicky game trying to cash in on a fad for a quick buck. Meanwhile Pathfinder: Kingmaker seems really awesome, aka the model for gaming that WotC should have been looking at.

Once again instead of making a really good CRPG based on 5th edition, they do a gimmicky game trying to cash in on a fad for a quick buck.

Meanwhile Pathfinder: Kingmaker seems really awesome, aka the model for gaming that WotC should have been looking at.

WotC is teaming up with a video game company called Ludia to produce a new mobile RPG called Warriors of Waterdeep (trailer below). The game is coming in Spring, and features your party of adventurers using Waterdeep as a base of operations.

Screen Shot 2018-02-14 at 15.48.30.png

Venture Beat refers to this as Ludia's "first D&D game", implying that more may be coming.

[video=youtube;ses2yYBa4RQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ses2yYBa4RQ[/video]​

PCs take on missions assigned by NPCs like Laurel Silverhand, trade cards with Mirt the Moneylender, or buy equipment from Durnan of the Yawning Portal Inn. Combat is turn-baed, on a grid, and there are 12 classes and 9 races to choose from. The current lineup is:

• Shevarith — Human Wizard
  • Halbenet — Elf Cleric
  • Tommus — Halfling Fighter
  • Naomlen — Dwarf Rogue
  • Saarvin — Dragonborn Ranger
  • Farideh — Tiefling Warlock
  • Raika — Half-orc Barbarian
It's free not play, but micro transactions are used to buy packs of cards.

You can read more here at Venture Beat.

Screen Shot 2018-02-14 at 15.49.07.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-02-14 at 15.48.30.png
    Screen Shot 2018-02-14 at 15.48.30.png
    339.2 KB · Views: 24,532
  • Screen Shot 2018-02-14 at 15.49.07.png
    Screen Shot 2018-02-14 at 15.49.07.png
    357.4 KB · Views: 4,062
Last edited by a moderator:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Once again instead of making a really good CRPG based on 5th edition, they do a gimmicky game trying to cash in on a fad for a quick buck.

Meanwhile Pathfinder: Kingmaker seems really awesome, aka the model for gaming that WotC should have been looking at.
WotC doesn't make the projects, they field proposals from people willing to pay them: games like this make more money than old school CRPGs, so they probably had the money to spend on development and licensing.

A real AAA D&D RPG will only be possible if Hasbro as a whole owns or is closely partnered with a AAA developer...as they were when Neverwinter Nights was made. No third party who can make a Dragon Age will want to use somebody else's IP, and nobody making a game like Kingmaker will likely have the funding to pay WotC license fees.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Ludia’s first D&D game features a new narrative — unlike Neverwinter, Tales of Candlekeep, or Idle Champions of the Forgotten Realms (some of the other D&D video games that aren’t from Beamdog’s enhanced lineup), Warriors of Waterdeep won’t hew as closely to the annual storylines such as Tomb of Annihilation or Storm King’s Thunder. Instead, you’ll take on missions from Larael Silverhand (one of the Seven Sisters that are also the Chosen of Mystra, the goddess of magic), the open lord of Waterdeep. Mirt the Moneylender, one of Waterdeep’s renowned rascals, handles card-trading. Durnan (the famous proprietor of the The Yawning Portal Inn, which sits above an entrance to the famous Undermountain megadungeon), runs the in-game shop.

“The game follows a plot that runs in parallel with the established 5th edition storylines, but does not cross over directly,” Ludia brand manager Stephen David Wark said over email. He’s also a narrative designer for the project. “Eagle-eyed players will have fun spotting references to familiar settings.”
[MENTION=6811472]GarrettKP[/MENTION] this appears to be what the "cosplaying Durnan" tease was about, and this seems to me to make an Undermountain book less likely...

lkj

Hero
Nathan Stewart, in one of his fireside chats, strongly hinted something was coming on the videogame front. Sounded like this year, but don't quote me on that. He didn't provide any details, but he did go out of his way to emphasize how long the process usually is and how they tend not to announce things until there is something to buy (or will be shortly).

AD

darjr

I crit!
Note that neverwinter nights was remastered and is backwards compatible. I only note it because a few people I know didn't know.

I will take a look at this. Thanks for sharing. I didn't like the clicker thing because those are not for me.

GarrettKP

Explorer
[MENTION=6811472]GarrettKP[/MENTION] this appears to be what the "cosplaying Durnan" tease was about, and this seems to me to make an Undermountain book less likely...

I think it means the opposite. Them setting more 3rd party material in Waterdeep and The Yawning Portal makes me think a book with some tie-in is MORE likely, not less.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads