D&D 3E/3.5 Ladle of candle forming

abe ray

Explorer
Ladle of candle forming allows you to make up to 10 candles a day at no cost and allows the user to have up to +10 to the craft(candle) for the rest of the day!
What do you fine people think the spells needed & cost would be needed in Making it?

Sent from my iPhone using EN World mobile app

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Are you talking about 3.5e I guess? Probably shouldn't be too much unless these will be magic candles.

freyar

Sorry, I have been meaning to look up pricing guidelines from the old 3.5e Magic Item Compendium, but I mostly post from work and have my books at home, so I keep forgetting!

abe ray

Explorer
I’m trying for my ladle to make non-magical candles, though you could make magical candles by enchanting the resulting candles

freyar

Well, the DMG rules suggest (skill bonus)^2 times 100 gp as a price, but that seems like way too much for this. The MIC suggests pricing based on supply and demand, so I'd just guess about 1000gp, which is about as cheap as permanent wondrous items get. I can't see that this would be more valuable than bracers of armor, right?

freyar

Well, Fabricate sounds like an appropriate spell, but it makes too much and is too high level. Mending and Make Whole are my other thoughts; maybe Make Whole is about the right level. Heat Metal is maybe an interesting possibility. I'm not sure what I'd use for the skill bonus.

Tristissima

Explorer
As a fiction-first, mythopoetic, immersivist kind of qween, I like to consider rough translations of prices into the money/value system I'm used to handling me own self: US dollars. From my investigations around the web, I've come to the conclusion that a copper piece can be roughly considered to be worth $2-5 (to forestall possible flames: note just how WIDE that range is). This would make the 1000gp ladle of candle-making worth about $200,000-$500,000.

This site suggests a candle business would need an annual budget of around $10,000, all told. But that's a very modern number, mind. Candles were much more of a luxury item way back in the day, linked to the slaughter of meat-sources (animals), which was uncommon at best ~ their value is more in their potential to become things than in their becoming those things. Typically, a household would spend mebbe a couple consecutive days (prolly less) turning animal fat into light sources for the rest of the year. They'd make, I'd guess, a thousand max (which would require the slaughter of quite a large percentage of their wealth and many person-hours). And that would last the rest of the year.

A ladle of candle-making could make three times that upper limit over the course of a year for free, easily make a bunch more with that massive skill bonus, and could respond to need rather than requiring budgeting/rationing of items over large periods of time. I'd imagine that'd be worth a good quarter million dollars' equivalent.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases