When you give up on RPGs because you hate the system.

Chuck Ocenasek

First Post
So a bit of info on my gaming history. I started with 2nd ed D&D, but stopped in college when it became evident being a rpger was gonna get me bullied by my peers and I had no one to play with. Cut to years later where I got heavily involved in 4e with LFR and a 3 year campaign that died to scheduling. I dropped out for a while when I burned out (I don't regret my time, but it was a relationship that ran its course ).
Cut to now, I love 5e, but for the most part everyone in my area loves Pathfinder. They buy all the books to make the most over powered character they can. Discussion turns to "builds" as opposed backstory. When I play I find my characters are ineffectual because I did not take the correct combination of abilities.
It is a shame, I like a tone of the people that play, but the system is so overly complex that I have decided to quit gaming again. Anyone ever feel like this?

neogod22

Explorer
So a bit of info on my gaming history. I started with 2nd ed D&D, but stopped in college when it became evident being a rpger was gonna get me bullied by my peers and I had no one to play with. Cut to years later where I got heavily involved in 4e with LFR and a 3 year campaign that died to scheduling. I dropped out for a while when I burned out (I don't regret my time, but it was a relationship that ran its course ).
Cut to now, I love 5e, but for the most part everyone in my area loves Pathfinder. They buy all the books to make the most over powered character they can. Discussion turns to "builds" as opposed backstory. When I play I find my characters are ineffectual because I did not take the correct combination of abilities.
It is a shame, I like a tone of the people that play, but the system is so overly complex that I have decided to quit gaming again. Anyone ever feel like this?
Rifts. Nuff said.

darjr

I crit!
Run a game. I hav found that there are folks out there of all stripes and sometime you need to be the change you want to find them. Or run and they will come. It might not be immediately and you might have a few false starts, but patience and persistence is the way.

neogod22

Explorer
Personally, I'd prefer a bit more said. I don't know much about Rifts; how does it solve OP's problem?
Then you missed out on the greatest role-playing universe ever created. Unfortunately the system it ran on was terrible and overly complicated, which caused people not to want to play.

the_redbeard

Explorer

Not quite the same. I've been able to convince my friends to play the game more the way I'd like to play it.

As I read this, your choice is:
1. play with the people you like but not the way you'd like to play
2. play with the people you like but ask them to play a different game
3. find other people to play with that like the way you'd like to play

If you choose option 1, you could have other folks make your character for you. That doesn't sound like it is the only problem, but it may help some of your trouble. As OG says, "no gaming is better than bad gaming." Play board games?

As for option 3, you could try online. I know I prefer face to face even though traveling and scheduling is difficult.

Good luck.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
... you just have to find a different group. I too find pathfinder too complicated, but it seems to bother me less than you so...

Then you missed out on the greatest role-playing universe ever created. Unfortunately the system it ran on was terrible and overly complicated, which caused people not to want to play.

Yeah, I have read a bunch of awesome settings that used overly complex or just awful rules systems. How some of them made it to press back in the days before crowdfunding, I will never understand.

And to the OP, yes, I bailed on D&D about a year or so into the life of Pathfinder and 4E D&D. Pathfinder just got more and more complex, making it so I could not even enjoy regular 3.X D&D. And 4E just totally turned me off for reasons I will not state here, as I do not want to fire up the old Edition Wars in this thread. lol

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Yep, there have been a couple I was close to doing so with- RIFTS was one. But I have run games in that setting with other systems. And I didn’t buy 5Ed D&D.

But by and large, I’ll play almost any system with a PC. I just won’t run games in certain systems.

Remove ads