Mike Mearls Happy Fun Hour: The Warlord

They also used the 4e eladrin as an example of how to homebrew races in the 5e DMG.

But soon the 4e-style eladrin will be 5e canon in Mordenkeinens.

Controversial traditions take time to smooth out to integrate.
But... if they wanted to gauge interest, why not just have a survey? Why hide their intentions and risk people missing out on giving feedback?

Why have the multi-year long game? What’s the advantage over just releasing it to UA like the artificer or mystic?

Pauln6

Hero
It seems to me, the 5e classes so far evidence strong interest for the warlord.

The original design strategy was to split the warlord tradition into a magical bard and a nonmagical battle master. But that failed to satisfy desires for warlord.

Then the Purple Dragon Knight came out. But that too failed to satisfy the interest in a warlord.

Finally, Mearls is tackling the warlord tradition head on, and seeing how this might work.

Mearls does this thru Happy Fun, precisely as a venue that can receive lots of informal feedback, before codifying a formal playtest version.

He wants this to satisfy players who are interested in a warlord.

I rather liked the UA fighter classes with alternate uses for superiority dice. I thought that gifting Purple Dragon Knight some of the Warlord battlemaster manoeuvres through this method would have been a step closer to a more satisfactory Warlord.

Yaarel

He Mage
So the concept as described in the two hours of video does cut it?

For me, the Happy Fun warlord comes close to meeting all the criteria of the warlord. Close enough that it seems to me, it might work. So I am enthusiastic.

Heh, but the truth is, to me, [MENTION=996]Tony Vargas[/MENTION] pretty much personifies the warlord fan. If he is happy, I will rest easy about the warlord tradition.

The reason why care about the warlord is, it opens up viable nonmagical options for D&D, that are essential to a DM for worldbuilding.

Plus, if the warlord turns out cool, as Happy Fun suggests it will, I would love to play it as a player.

Tony Vargas

Legend
For me, the Happy Fun warlord comes close to meeting all the criteria of the warlord. Close enough that it seems to me, it might work
It does run through and lightly tick a number of the required boxes, and some of the ideas seem interesting. But it meets criteria the way wizard class with just one or two spells from, not each and every, but most of the schools, and none of them above 3rd, would do for that class had it been omitted for years.

So it's a better substitute for a multi-class Fighter/Warlord than the BM was, and blows the PDK away.

And, if it is done very well, it could serve as a much better template for a full class than trying to extrapolate the BM.

. So I am enthusiastic.
Heh, but the truth is, to me, [MENTION=996]Tony Vargas[/MENTION] pretty much personifies the warlord fan. If he is happy, I will rest easy about the warlord tradition.
I'll admit to being more hopeful than before this started.
The reason why care about the warlord is, it opens up viable nonmagical options for D&D, that are essential to a DM for worldbuilding.

Plus, if the warlord turns out cool, as Happy Fun suggests it will, I would love to play it as a player.
Those are good reasons.

mellored

Legend
So the concept as described in the two hours of video does cut it?
His outline, yes. I think he hit all the key points. Fight smarter, not harder.
His ideas, yes. I like the overheal and very much like tactical zone.
His implementation, I don't know yet. It still seems like you would spend most of your time muli-attacking. Which is the main problem of the other sub-classes. You could do a cool warlord thing once, and then you go back to being a fighter.

But I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

mellored

Legend
Why have the multi-year long game? What’s the advantage over just releasing it to UA like the artificer or mystic?
Because he tied warlord as a sub-class twice, and failed twice.
Live stream gives him faster feedback and more ideas. UA is better for refinement of those ideas.

Also, they already took an interest survey, and warlord was a little behind artificer and mystic.

Because he tied warlord as a sub-class twice, and failed twice.
Live stream gives him faster feedback and more ideas. UA is better for refinement of those ideas.
Having seen Twitch chat and YouTube comments, uncertain if the “faster feedback” would contain much that is useful.

Also, they already took an interest survey, and warlord was a little behind artificer and mystic.
I don’t recall that one. Link?

Remove ads