D&D5e // Gamma World at GaryCon

exile

First Post
I am taking this year's Garycon at a fairly relaxed pace. After a morning walk and coffee, I dived into my one game of the day: a Gamma World hack of the D&D 5 e rules. Mike Mearls ran the game (and bought lunch for the table). This was my first interaction with him, and I must say he is a stand-up, easily-approachable dude. The game overall had a wacky vibe, which seemed to suit Mearls well; that said I would love to see him ru. A more serious game.

We generated characters on the spot. We did this by allocating 18 dice between the 6 traditional ability scores. You had to roll at least 1 die for each ability, meaning that if you nerfed all of your other scores, you could roll as many as 13 dice for the one you really want to be sky high.

I distributed my dice evenly, 3 per ability score. This automatically made me a human. As such, I had a higher tech level than everyone else, as well as some action points. I named my character Cledus. He was an ugly, freckled ginger with decent Dexterity and Intelligence, a crowbar named Lucy, and a handgun named The Judge.

The rest of the party consisted of an alien with an obnoxious stench (obnoxious enough to cause Disadvantage), a mutated bear (which given his empathy and sonic blast was essentially a Care Bear), a mutated triceratops, a mutated showdog with patchy fur, and a mutated snake. The mutant types and mutations were, I think, borrowed from a third party product, maybe Omega World.

We worked together to explore an artificial island off the coast of Sea-rattle. We fought a host of robots, mutated roaches, and rat men (all of which Mearls said were re-skinned D&D monsters).

One mechanic that seemed unique involved tech levels. Whenever a character attempted to use tech of a higher level than they were familiar with, they had to roll a d4 (for one TL difference), d6 (for two TL difference), or d8 (for three tech level difference). If that die generated a number equal to or greater than the d20 roll, the tech backfired... often in a catastrophic manner.

I asked Mearls if there were any plans for an official Gamma World adaptation of the 5e rules. His answer was that Garycon afforded him an opportunity to play with mechanics and ideas that might eventually show up in future products (which might or might not be Gamma World). I thought, in this age of product/release secrecy, that his answer was a pretty awesome one.

I am happy to field questions.

Duan'duliir

Devil of Chance
Sounds like it was pretty fun. Were the action points you had the hero points from the DMG or did they function differently? I'm also curious about the stats of your weapons if you recall them, and any other major departures from 5e.

I'll mention that on twitter, he indicated that the tech rules were based on his weapon breakage rules for Dark Sun. They seem like a solid way to handle it (assuming its based on material rather than comparing a tech level to your tech ability).

The original featured an elaborate flow chart for trying to use a high tech object, with plenty of opportunity for disasterous outcomes. A similar chart was used in Expedition to the Barrier Peaks. I wonder if there is some thought to bringing that out for 5e? It's been referenced in the DMG and the vegepygmy descriptions.

Starfinder seems to be reasonably successful (despite, IMO excessively complex rules). There might be an apatite for SF conversions. Gamma-World always had a much lighter tone than other post-apocalypse RPGs (apart from Paranoia maybe).

exile

First Post
Sounds like it was pretty fun. Were the action points you had the hero points from the DMG or did they function differently? I'm also curious about the stats of your weapons if you recall them, and any other major departures from 5e.

I'll mention that on twitter, he indicated that the tech rules were based on his weapon breakage rules for Dark Sun. They seem like a solid way to handle it (assuming its based on material rather than comparing a tech level to your tech ability).

I am only a casual player of 5e and do not have my DMG handy, so I can't say if these action points were the same as 5e hero points. Basically, I could spend one for an extra action. I am not sure how they replenished, as this was a one shot.

My crowbar was a light weapon, meaning I modified my attack and damage rolls with Dex, not Strength. It's base damage was 1d8. I know two-handed melee weapons did more.

My pistol did 2d6 base damage (again, modified by dex). It was a higher tech level item than what the mutants had, and their ranged weapons did less.

exile

First Post
The original featured an elaborate flow chart for trying to use a high tech object, with plenty of opportunity for disasterous outcomes. A similar chart was used in Expedition to the Barrier Peaks. I wonder if there is some thought to bringing that out for 5e? It's been referenced in the DMG and the vegepygmy descriptions.

Starfinder seems to be reasonably successful (despite, IMO excessively complex rules). There might be an apatite for SF conversions. Gamma-World always had a much lighter tone than other post-apocalypse RPGs (apart from Paranoia maybe).

My guess is, if they publish something like this, they will stay away from elaborate flowcharts. Mearls mentioned that there was a need for quick play RPGs that a group could get together and play with the same effort as a board game. Of course, I think there are a lot of complicated board games on the market today.

Duan'duliir

Devil of Chance
I am only a casual player of 5e and do not have my DMG handy, so I can't say if these action points were the same as 5e hero points. Basically, I could spend one for an extra action. I am not sure how they replenished, as this was a one shot.

My crowbar was a light weapon, meaning I modified my attack and damage rolls with Dex, not Strength. It's base damage was 1d8. I know two-handed melee weapons did more.

My pistol did 2d6 base damage (again, modified by dex). It was a higher tech level item than what the mutants had, and their ranged weapons did less.
Very different to Hero Points then (hero points allow you to add 1d6 to a d20 roll or turn a failed death save into a successful one).

Sounds like the crowbar is a bludgeoning rapier almost, while the pistol matches the DMG's automatic pistol.

Did you have classes?

jgsugden

Legend
I like the "roll a small die with your d20 and if the small die is greater, bad stuff happens" mechanic. It should have been part of the wild sorcerer. In fact, I may just have to steal it for a revised Wild Mage Sorcerer ...hmmm....

I never played (or even read) Star Frontiers when it first came out (I was a Traveller player), but I heard is was kind of complicated. Or am I confusing it with Space Opera?

I would love a Space Opera RPG what was as playable as 5e though!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases