• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Zards Warlord 2.0

Zardnaar

Legend
Over the years dating back to 2E I have enjoyed modifying the rules and writing my own content. Hell I even tried writing my own D&D (hint its a lot of work).

Writing a 5E class is surprisingly hard. I have tried several times and for the most part there is no real point in writing a new one vs an archetype. There are only a few concepts I thik that are both strong enough to stand on their own two feet and can not be represented with the existing archetypes + feats. The ones that can not be properly represented by the current classes at least in a form that fans of those classes want are the following.

Alchemist
Artificer (was originally a wizard archetype in 2E not the Eberron version).
Psion
Warlord

Now the warlord is a divisive topic with some people not wanting it to exist while others want a functional 4E one in a game that does not use the structure of the 4E system. I do not think it unreasonable for fan of the 4E Warlord to expect an update, I do think it is unreasonable to expect every Warlord subclass to make it in originally or for that warlord to fully replicate the 4E version. I tend to look at the warlord in concept- heal, support, fight just like a wizard cast spells, blasts etc. How they do that concept of course will vary by edition.

Now there have been several attempts to do the warlord on the DMGuild or on EN5ider with the Noble class. In other threads I have objected to at will attack granting because 5E does not really support that due to things like the Rogue or even hunter rangers. If you have a support class granting at will Rogue and warrior type damage they are dealing a lot more damage than the 5E support classes such as clerics, lore bards and druids who generally deal little damage outside of spell buffed or archetypes (moon Druid). 5E has been fairly tight in terms of things like bonus actions, reactions. Now I disagreed with some of the 4E fans in terms of action granting due to fundamental differences between 4E and 5E they did have some good points about some power creep between 4E and 5E in other ways.

Now I don't think at will action granting in 5E can work that well, it will be over powered or useless based of things like the noble which has sacrificed everything to enable the attack granting but is fairly useless in other ways like functioning as a support character. This is what I mean about the 5E design paradigm due to things like the Rogues sneak attack existing and how hard it is to enable them to sneak attack twice a round (situational or limited resources such as spells) I don't think attack granting should be at will. This doesn't mean a 5E warlord however can't be better at it than the Battlemaster Fighter which is kind of a 1/3rd warlord like the Eldritch Knight is a 1/3rd wizard. If you do not go with at will attack granting you open up more design space to allow other things into the game that the Warlord should be good at.

So design goals and ideas of my take on a 5E Warlord?

My goal is kind of a non magical support character that is competitive in a different way than say a Bard or Cleric. Its a martial character in an edition with very few of them so to replace spells they get class features every level and more ASI's than most classes. As a template I tweaked the Warlock as warlock invocations can easily be turned into 4E type powers. Generally 4E riders became bonus actions so the Warlord can do something and use the minor action or the rider was added to the standard action ability. The class is also mostly a hort rest class so AEDU kind of becomes AEU (I have not designed to many U abilities yet).

The following is also the quick and dirty version in prototype form. Hence why I have used "As a BM fighter or as Mastermind Rogue" which is shorthand for their right up. I have 2 subclasses the tactician and inspirational warlord which are place holder names (Battle Captain and Marshall perhaps?). Its mostly based on the 4E one I can also think of some subclasses that would be new or even borrowing some things from the 3.5 Marshall (Inspirational Warlord does an aura thing?). One could strip out my things and plug in a 1/3rd spellcaster warlord (divine or arcane) that can do outright magical things or have outright magical powers (just like the warlocks invocations). Basic idea is fighter ASI on a warlock template and tweaking 4E concepts into a 5E design paradigm.

This is an evolution based on the last one I posted here with points raised by other people.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
Forgive the formatting I have a nice table on MS word. Proficiency of course is the same as every other 5E class.

Warlord 2.1
Class Features
Hit Dice: 1d8 per warlord level
Hit Points at 1st Level: 8 + your Constitution modifier
Hit Points at Higher Levels: 1d8 (or 5) + your Constitution modifier per fighter level after 1st
Proficiencies
Armor: Armor: Light armour, medium armour, shields
Weapons: Simple weapons, martial weapons
Tools: None
Saving Throws: Constitution, Strength
Skills: Choose two skills from Acrobatics, Animal Handling, Athletics, History, Insight, Intimidation, Perception, and Survival

Exploits You gain 2 exploits at level 2 plus an additional exploit at level 5,7,9,12,15,18

Class Features

1. Inspiring Word, Warlord Path
2. Healing Surge
3. Warlord Path Feature
4. Ability Score Improvement
5. Inspirational Word (two targets)
6. Healing Surge 2/rest
7. Skilful Strike
8. Ability Score Improvement
9. Warlord Path Feature
10. Ability Score Improvement
11. Defensive Rally
12. Ability Score Improvement
13. Warlord Path Feature
14. Superior Commander
15. Iron Will
16. Ability Score Improvement
17. Warlord Path Feature
18. Aura Improvement’s
19. Ability Score Improvement
20. Supreme Commander

Inspiring Word

As a bonus action a creature of your choice within 30’regains hit points equal to 1d8+ your warlord level. You regain all uses of this feature once you complete a short or long rest.

Healing Surge
As an action all allies within 30’ of you regain hit points equal to 2d8+ your warlord level. You regain all uses of this feature once you complete a short or long rest.

Skilful Strike
Once on each of your turns when you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can cause the attack to deal an extra 1d8 of the same type dealt by the weapon to the target. When you reach level 14, the extra damage increases to 2d8.

Defensive Rally
As an action all allies within your aura may spend hit dice as if they have completed a short rest. You may not use this feature again until you complete a long rest.

Iron Will

You gain proficiency in wisdom saves.

Superior Commander

As a bonus action you can coordinate your allies within your aura. Until the start of your next turn they have advantage on attack rolls, saving throws and skill checks. You regain the use of this ability when you complete a short or long rest.

Aura Improvement’s
Your Aura increases to 30’.

Supreme Commander
As a bonus action you can coordinate your allies. For one minute they have advantage on attack rolls, saving throws and skill checks. Enemies have disadvantage on attack rolls against your allies. You regain the use of this ability when you complete a long rest.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
Path of the Tactician
At level 1 when you use inspirational cry an ally in your command aura may add your intelligence modifier to their next damage roll.

At level 2 you gain superiority dice (as Battlemaster Fighter).

Commanders Focus

At level 6 For 1 minute as a bonus action any non-hostile creature in your aura gains a 1d6 bonus on damage rolls. The creature bust be able to hear and understand the Warlord. This ability may be used again once you complete a short or long rest.

Improved Combat Superiority

At level 9 you gain Improved Combat Superiority. This feature is identical to the Battlemaster Fighter’s ability.

Quick Step
At level 13 as a reaction you can you can grant uncanny dodge (as Rogue feature) to an ally within your aura

Knights Gambit

Level 17. As a bonus action any non-hostile creature in your aura may make an immediate move action and make one attack or cast a cantrip. The creature bust be able to hear and understand the Warlord. This ability may be used again once you complete long rest.

Path of Inspiration

At level 1 you may add your charisma modifier to the hit points restored via warlord abilities.
At level 2. You gain inspiration dice (as Bard)

Cutting Words
At level 6 you can use cutting words (as Lore bard ability)

Inspirational Aura
At level 9 all allies within your aura gain advantage on all saving throws.

Stand Tough
At level 13 as an action each ally within your aura regains hit points equal to 4d8+ your warlord level. You may not use this ability again until you finish a short or long rest.

Rejuvenating Boost
At level 17 As an action all allies in your aura regain 100 hit points. You regain the use of this ability when you complete a long or short rest.

Exploits

Advantageous Strike
As a bonus action any non-hostile creature in your aura may use its reaction to make an attack. The creature gains advantage on the attack roll. The creature must be able to hear and understand the Warlord. This ability may be used again once you complete long or short rest.

Co-ordinated Attack
Prerequisite: 5th level, Path of the Tactician
When you take the Attack action, you can choose not to make any attack. If you do this two allies can make a weapon attack against an enemy of their choice or cast a cantrip targeting an enemy of their choice. You regain the use of this ability once you complete a long or short rest.

Crucial Advice
Prerequisite: 5th level, Path of the Tactician
All allies within your commander’s aura gain a +1 bonus to AC and all saves.

Echoes of the Ancient Song
You gain proficiency in the history and investigation skills.

Furious Smash
If you take the attack action on your turn, you can use a bonus action to try and shove a creature within 5’ of you with your shield. You must be using a shield in order to use furious smash.

Hammer and Anvil
As a bonus action any non-hostile creature in your aura may use its reaction to make an attack or cast a cantrip. The creature may add your charisma modifier to the attack roll. The creature must be able to hear and understand the Warlord. This ability may be used again once you complete short rest rest.

Heroic Surge
Prerequisite: 5th level
As a bonus action you may grant an additional action to any non-hostile creature in your aura. You regain the use of this ability when you complete a long or short rest.

Improved Inspirational Word
Prerequisite: 5th level, Path of Inspiration

You may use inspirational word on an extra ally.

Insightful Strike

Prerequisite: Level 12 Path of the Tactician
An ally of your choice within your commander’s aura may add your intelligence modifier to weapon damage.

Inspiring Commander
Level 5 Path of Inspiration
You gain 2 extra inspirational dice.

Inspire Confidence
Prerequisite: 5th level, Path of Inspiration
Allies within your commander’s aura gain a +1 bonus to attack rolls and skill checks.

Inspiring Strike
Prerequisite: Path of Inspiration
As a reaction when an ally within your aura makes an attack you may grant them a bonus to hit equal to your charisma bonus. You may use this ability a number of times equal to your charisma modifier. You regain all uses of this ability when you take a short or long rest.

Knights Move
You may grant your move action to another ally. They can use their reaction to make an immediate move action that does not provoke an attack of opportunity. You regain the use of this ability after you complete a short or long rest.

Knock them Down
Prerequisite: Level 9.
As part of an attack action you strike your opponent a mighty blow. If you hit you deal an extra 3d8 damage and may make a shove attack as a bonus action. If you knock them prone every ally within 50’ of you may use their reaction to move up to 15’ and have an attack of opportunity. You regain the use of this ability when you complete a long rest.

Leadership

For 1 minute as a bonus action any non-hostile creature in your aura gains a 1d4 bonus on an attack roll or saving throws. The creature bust be able to hear and understand the Warlord. This ability may be used again once you complete a short or long rest.

Lions Roar
Prerequisite: level 7 Path of Inspiration

As a bonus action you grant all of your allies 30’ 1d6+charisma modifier+ your hit dice temporary hit points. A creature can’t gain temporary hit points from this ability until it completes a short or long rest.

Parry
As a reaction you can add +2 to an adjacent allies AC against an attack that would hit it.

Provoke Overextension
Prerequisite: level 7, Path of Bravery
As a bonus action you provoke an attack of opportunity against an adjacent creature. They have disadvantage to hit you. If they miss an ally within your commanders aura may use their reaction to gain an attack of opportunity with advantage. If they hit they get to add your charisma bonus to the weapon damage roll.

Skilful Commander
Prerequisite: level 5, Path of the Tactician
You gain 2 extra superiority dice.

Surprise Attack
Prerequisite: level 7, Path of the Tactician
As a bonus action any non-hostile creature in your aura may use its reaction to make an attack. The creature gains a bonus on the on the attack roll equal to your intelligence modifier and gains an extra 1d8 to the damage roll . The creature must be able to hear and understand the Warlord. This ability may be used again once you complete long or short rest.

Rallying Cry
As an action all allies within your Commanding Aura gain hit points as if they had completed a short rest and spent a bonus hit dice. You may use this ability again once you complete a short or long rest.

Reinvigorating Rest
This ability is identical to the Bard Song of Rest feature.

Shake it Off
As a bonus action you may have ally within 30’ make a saving throw with a bonus equal to your charisma score.

Timely Warning
Prerequisite: Path of the Tactitian
As a reaction when an ally within your aura who can see and hear is attacked may add your Intelligence modifier to their armor class. You may use this ability a number of times equal to your intelligence modifier. You regain all uses of this ability when you take a short or long rest.

Vipers Strike
Creatures within 5’ of you provoke attacks of opportunity even if they take the disengage action before leaving your reach.

Voice of All

The range of your rallying cry doubles to 60’.

Warlords Favor
As a bonus action any non-hostile creature in your aura may use its reaction and to make an attack or cast a cantrip. The creature may add your intelligence modifier to the damage roll.The creature must be able to hear and understand the Warlord. This ability may be used again once you complete short rest rest.

Warlords Surge
As an action you may grant an additional action to any non-hostile creature in your aura. You regain the use of this ability when you complete a long rest.

Last edited:

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
A few thoughts:

1. I firmly believe that a single attack can be granted on any allies next turn without breaking the game. This is the closest incarnation of at will attack granting that I'm comfortable with.
2. I firmly believe off turn attack granting can be granted with a limited resource (preferably one that can also be used for buffing or healing, etc). It can just never turn into something that occurs nearly every round of every combat.

3. I really like the flavor of warlords getting "reaction abilities" that key off something specific happening on the battlefield and helping the ally based on what is happening.
4. I may be the only person in this position but I'm leaning less towards warlords granting what is essentially a new buff every round style abilities and instead granting a major encounter long buff per combat.

FrogReaver

For warlords, don't call abilities aura's instead call it "Commanders Presence" instead of "Commanders Aura". Basically steer clear of names that sound magical.

I also think your class is a little front loaded which makes my multiclass rader go haywire.

Zardnaar

Legend
A few thoughts:

1. I firmly believe that a single attack can be granted on any allies next turn without breaking the game. This is the closest incarnation of at will attack granting that I'm comfortable with.
2. I firmly believe off turn attack granting can be granted with a limited resource (preferably one that can also be used for buffing or healing, etc). It can just never turn into something that occurs nearly every round of every combat.

3. I really like the flavor of warlords getting "reaction abilities" that key off something specific happening on the battlefield and helping the ally based on what is happening.
4. I may be the only person in this position but I'm leaning less towards warlords granting what is essentially a new buff every round style abilities and instead granting a major encounter long buff per combat.

Yes I have looked at some minute long buffs that are similar to parts of haste or bless (like the knights abilities). I brought things like bard and BM dice forward a level since I thought a dedicated WL platform should get them sooner than a Bard or 1/3rd WL like the BM fighter.

You might be right about the front loaded part, I overhauled it the other night due to some comments raised on other threads.

I would strongly recommend against using the term 'exploit' to describe your abilities. It has fundamentally negative connotations, and those connotations are within the realm of games and game design.

You grant extra ASIs at both 6th and 10th, and thus grant one more ASI than any other class in the game. Remove at least one of them. Removing both would depend on how the rest of the class is balanced.

You have various typos with discrepancies between your list of abilities by level, and your description of said abilities.

Please write out each ability's description properly, rather than merely refer the reader to another sourcebook. It's annoying to have to look up. Do, however, still note the source ability if you're copying from elsewhere.

Supreme Commander seems significantly overpowered compared to other classes' capstones.

You have 28 Exploits. Will take a while to get a handle on them all. Rather impractical to be able to evaluate their effective balance offhand, particularly as they accumulate rather rapidly with level.

You don't provide any details on the usage of Exploits. Based on the way the class is built, they are basically spells, but there's no info on usage limits or anything like that, if any.

Overall impression: A big bag of buffs (analogous to a big bag of hit points). It's interesting as a mechanical curiosity, but doesn't really grab me as an actual character.

FrogReaver

Initial reactions to the class...

Things I like:

Exploits (Kinda of like martial invocations). There's a lot of design that can be placed there.

Things I dislike:
Multiple classes unique design mechanics being reused. You have the mastermind subclass ability, the battlemaster subclass ability, a paladin style aura ability in there, a bard style ability. The class tries to reuse to many other classes defining features.

I also feel the class doesn't focus enough. Exploits and subclasses should be enough to define any particular type of warlord.

Examples include things like your:

Commanders Aura (there should be an option to pick or a subclass to pick that helps party initiative). However, it should not be an ability that gets associated with every warlord ever in 5e.
Iron Will (just isn't that thematic for a warlord)

A few additional thoughts.
A Paladin subclass that could use a reaction and apply his divine smite damage to their attack would be cool.

Last edited:

Remove ads