Lets design a Warlord for 5th edition

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Any other Star Wars Saga Edition players here?

Im away from my books, but what I’d like to see is something mechanically based on the various types of Saga Noble talent trees, especially Inspiration, Leadership, etc. I think there was one that was all about being a revolutionary?

Also, the mechanics of the Officer prestige class are great mining material.

The mechanical language of Saga is pretty easy to translate to 5e, and the talents are of a similar power level range to 5e class features, and they do what we all want from the class, IMO.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
More Necromancy!!!

To be fair, that's only from 1 table, and it was in the middle of messy "everyone bring your homebrew class" sessions which had all sorts of weird interactions and things going on.
So take it with a grain of salt.

So where has this development reached? Could you synopsis what you have so far?

mellored

Legend
I haven't played 5e in a while, and haven't played a warlord in even longer, but the best warlord version (IMO), was...

Level 1; you can help as a reaction.
Subclasses weapons/armor proficiency
Level 2: before you take a reaction, you can move 5' per Int, up to your speed, in order to get into range.
For each reaction you do not spend, you gain +1d4 to your next attack roll and damage rolls on the following turn.
Level 3: give Cha THP as a minor action.
Subclasses reaction maneuver
5: you gain an extra reaction each turn.
6: helping with a skill gives a min d20 roll of half your warlord level
7: a few reaction maneuvers (push allies/enemy out/in of a fireball, prevent an OA, and some others)
9: don't provoke OA when using reactions.
10: subclass out of combat feature
11: 3rd reaction.
13: a few advanced maneuvers that take 2 reactions (interrupt spell casting, advantage on a save, and more)
14: subclass reaction that takes 2 reactions
15: all allies gain Cha THP as a minor action
17: 4th reaction
18: subclass ultimate
20: help no longer takes an action

Sub-class
martyr (shield, become the target of an attack, 2 reactions to have eveyone in an AoE take disadvantage to saves if you are included)
warlord (2-handed, attacks with allies, 2 reactions to turn an ally attack into a crit)
Medic (1-hands, immediately heal half of the the damage taken, 2 reactions to prevent death)
Shouty-lazy-lord that I had a better name for (bonus skill, can help and manuvers at range without moving, 2 reactions for a group shout)

mellored

Legend
The study enemies to build up dice worked nice most of the time, but there where a lot of corner cases that I never got around to ironing out. Such as studying someone else to build up dice and using it on a completely different fight.

In the end, using reactions as a pool just worked better. And the movement made it feel more active, tactical, and team-work-ish, as positioning matters. "I can't help you if you go over there" was a common and fitting thing to say.

I did try out the statigum idea, but it always ended up being either too vague as to basically be just a "whenever" buff. Either that or it was too specific and we felt bad that out plan never came together. It was rarely that happy middle ground where it felt like a real plan than came together. (though it was pretty cool the few times it did happen).

Last edited:

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
I haven't played 5e in a while, and haven't played a warlord in even longer, but the best warlord version (IMO), was...

Level 2: before you take a reaction, you can move 5' per Int, up to your speed, in order to get into range.
For each reaction you do not spend, you gain +1d4 to your next attack roll and damage rolls on the following turn.
7: a few reaction maneuvers (push allies/enemy out/in of a fireball, prevent an OA, and some others)
13: a few advanced maneuvers that take 2 reactions (interrupt spell casting, advantage on a save, and more)

Sub-class
martyr (shield, become the target of an attack, 2 reactions to have eveyone in an AoE take disadvantage to saves if you are included)
warlord (2-handed, attacks with allies, 2 reactions to turn an ally attack into a crit)
Medic (1-hands, immediately heal half of the the damage taken, 2 reactions to prevent death)
Shouty-lazy-lord that I had a better name for (bonus skill, can help and manuvers at range without moving, 2 reactions for a group shout)

Something like this still sounds like the most fun Warlord type character to me.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight

Sub-class

Lots of interesting things in there which I missed on first glance .. I think shouty at a range isnt a subclass thing specific to lazylord tricks though.

Lots of reactions == lots of fast thinking huh ;)

Remove ads