Ability Checks: variant rule PH175

DreamsAndPixies

First Post
Ability Checks: variant rule PH175

A few days ago I wrote an article about the variant rule p175 of the PHB for Ability Checks. I thought I'd share here.

Ability Checks

Ability checks are powerful tools the DM use in a wide array of situations. They allow you to run and control the flow of the game, and to arbitrate and resolve conflicts.
They are also simple: roll a d20, add the relevant ability modifier, and your proficiency modifier. For instance, if you are trying to snatch the purse of a merchant, the DM might call for a Dexterity (Sleight of Hands) check. Dexterity is the relevant ability, and Sleight of Hands is the relevant skill. You might even be a Rogue who has Expertise in Sleight of Hands, highly increasing your odds of success.

This particular check uses a skill, one of the eighteen listed in the game. But the way skills are written in the Player’s Handbook, they are innately tied to an Ability score. Often, the ability score is omitted. E.g. when the DM calls for a Perception check, we make a Wisdom (Perception) check.

The variant rule

Now there is a neat little variant rule in the Player’s Handbook that says the DM can ask for a skill check with another ability score if appropriate. For instance, a rough character could intimidate an enemy by flexing their muscles, or lifting and hurling a nearby boulder. This would be an excellent occasion for a Strength (Intimidation) check. I encourage you to use this variant rule as much as possible as it opens up possibilities. It rewards creative-thinking, and enables less reliance on rigid abilities score.

Examples

And to inspire you, here are a few examples of applying this variant rule:

1. Passing of as a historian at the queen’s banquet could be Intelligence (Deception), as you use sophistry to hide your ignorance.
  2. If you try to hide your spellcasting: Spellcasting Ability (Deception) as you try to appear inconspicuous, or Spellcasting Ability (Sleight of Hand) as you try to keep your focus and somatic components out of sight.
  3. Convincing a barbarian tribe to join you by lifting a heavy boulder in a dramatic manner: Strength (Persuasion).
  4. A delicate surgical operation that requires a steady hand would be an excellent occasion to do a Dexterity (Medicine) check.
  5. For your next infiltration mission, you observe the schedule of the patrols and relieving. By timing your movement and relying on your memory, you can avoid patrols: Intelligence (Stealth) check.
  6. Blending into a crowd as a local: Charisma (Stealth) check (vicious_snek from Reddit).
  7. Wall Jump/Climbing jumping from ropes to ropes: Dexterity (Athletics) or Strength (Acrobatics).
  8. Hurting yourself to intimidate an enemy (for instance, knocking a wall with your solid shining bald head): Constitution (Intimidation).
  9. Playing with a butterfly knife or juggling and throwing shurikens to intimidate small-time thugs : Dexterity (Intimidation).
  10. Juggling: an obvious Dexterity (Performance).
  11. Funding speech for your next cult: Charisma (Religion).
  12. Rodeo: Constitution (Animal Handling), and more generally Constitution (X) for any task involving the skill X and depending on stamina more than anything else.
  13. You need to test wildlife plants in this new unfamiliar environment where you just have teleported? Constitution (Nature) or Constitution (Medicine).
  14. Predicting an enemy’s next move: Intelligence (Insight). While Wisdom (Insight) would work — in fact it is one of its main use —, if the prediction is made based solely on logic, Intelligence makes perfect sense here.
  15. Solving a puzzle in limited time which requires nimble fingers (like a Rubik’s cube): Dexterity (Investigation).
  16. Tie a Knot: Intelligence (Sleight of Hand) from Xanathar’s Guide to Everything‘s rules on tying knots. Intelligence (Survival) might also make sense.
A more in-depth look.

You can notice those examples emphasize two different aspects tied to two different ability scores. For instance, solving a puzzle in limited time involves a measure of intelligence or memorization, but also quickness. The variant rules shine here as it allows us to reward those two aspects, instead of having to choose one and ignoring the other.
This idea is also touched upon in Xanathar’s Guide to Everything in another form. If a PC is proficient in both a skill and tools relevant to the situation, the DM could give them advantage on the check. E.g. someone proficient with the Alchemist kit and the Arcana Skill is doubly qualified to investigate a wizard’s laboratory. The idea can be extended to all checks without any difficulty.
And last, raw pure checks are also interesting in their own regards, when there does not seem to be an ability check to tie.
At this point, or right from the start, you might have asked yourself why bother, won’t it be the default PHB ability score most of the time? Not to mention the lack of proficiency might make the ability check a simple raw check. It might be, but the few cases where you go into a different direction, the players that enjoy solving conflicts through creative thinking are going to enjoy it, even if your choice of ability is at their detriment. In fact, if a player makes a convincing argument to use another ability score than the default one, you should allow it.
Next time, we shall take a look at passive scores and how to use those, beyond the simple textbook use of passive perception.

Strength checks, not Athletics checks!

Side note, the Strength section of Using Each Ability (PH125), is of particular interest and I recommend its reading. Here you learn that Athletics should be used for climbing and pulling, lifting or carrying any objects would be excellent Strength checks (just a pure raw Strength check, not Athletics). I would recommend following those guidelines as a way to promote Strength differentiation in the party, and punish Strength dumping. The way a party deal with a shared common weakness is as interesting as the way a particular individual can shine through their strengths.

Follow me on Twitter. My blog for more articles and some homebrew.

CapnZapp

Legend
SkillStrengthConstitutionDexterityIntelligenceWisdomCharisma
Acrobatics
Animal Handling
Arcana
Athletics
Deception
History
Insight
Intimidation
Investigation
Medicine
Nature
Perception
Performance
Persuasion
Religion
Sleight of Hand
Stealth
Survival

Tony Vargas

Legend
Yep, skills briefly worked this way - reminiscent of Storyteller Attribute+Ability - in the playtest, it was a step up in sophistication & flexibility and even intuitive if you were not already acclimated to 3e/4e/d20.

I'm glad it survived as a variant.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I never not run the game using the variant rule. It has helped me tremendously to avoid the so-called "dump stat" phenomenon, considering that I use Wisdom for "passive" Perception and Investigation checks, and Intelligence for "active" Perception and Investigation checks (and thus INT jumps up in usage more than 200%). It's also allowed me to get rid of what I've always found to be rarely-used niche skills because I can now roll them into other ones to beef them up and just use different ability scores to represent them. So I got rid of Acrobatics as a skill because now I just ask for a Strength check or Dexterity check and then they can add Athletics to either one if the check is about body manipulation and physicality. And Sleight of Hand went by the wayside and instead I ask for Dexterity (Deception) checks-- thereby beefing up Deception's use too slightly.

Mu current slate of skills in my games are:

Animal Handling
Arcana
Athletics (absorbs Acrobatics)
Commerce (anything business or money related)
Deception (absorbs Sleight of Hand)
Etiquette (anything related to nobility, high society)
Folklore (anything related to common folk, low society)
History
Insight (WIS + Insight for sensing emotions, INT + Insight for strategy and tactics)
Investigation
Mechanics (absorbs Thieve's Tools and anything related to tinkering/engineering)
Nature
Perception
Persuasion (absorbs Intimidation, Performance)
Religion
Stealth
Survival (absorbs Medicine)

Last edited:

5ekyu

Hero
Honestly, i saw it as an obviously useful and i figured common thing. Most "modern" systems that marry skill to att have such a "switch" option and to me it always seemed like the expected thing even if the base rules put up front the simpler "beginner" pairings.

It is common in my games.

I also think it is more intuitive if one uses the prof die... Because there the proficiency die is actually a physical thing you add to the basic roll, not just a modifier pre-figured into the stats.

5ekyu

Hero
As an aside, investigation in my games gets a lot of alt abilities depending on approach.

Wis inv if its studying for perceptual details

Cha inv for interview and question

Con inv for out drinking someone to get them drunk and question along the way

Dex inv for solving physical puzzles

Etc

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
So, each character has six ability scores, and one ability bonus is used on every check.

And each character has some skill proficiencies, which add the proficiency bonus to a check.

The Player's Handbook goes on to list each skill under one of the six abilities, and says that you should add your proficiency bonus - when using the skill - when making a check with that ability.

And then on page 175 it says that you might want to consider not doing it that way.

Now there is a neat little variant rule in the Player’s Handbook that says the DM can ask for a skill check with another ability score if appropriate.

This makes the ability sound like the optional portion, not the skill. Yet, every check requires an ability, but not a skill proficiency. It's a little misleading.

DMs can easily put the OP's advice into action without thinking (too much) about it by just asking for an ability check after a player declares an (questionable) action, and allowing the player to apply an appropriate skill proficiency. Some examples from above:

- Passing off as an historian at the queen’s banquet, as you use sophistry to hide your ignorance.

DM asks for Intelligence upon hearing "sophistry."

- If you try to hide your spellcasting . . . as you try to appear inconspicuous, or as you try to keep your focus and somatic components out of sight.

DM asks for (prime spell ability) at "hide spellcasting," or Dexterity at "keep out of sight."

- Convincing a barbarian tribe to join you by lifting a heavy boulder in a dramatic manner.

Strength. Duh?

- A delicate surgical operation that requires a steady hand.

Performing surgery could be Dexterity or Intelligence. But why not both?

- For your next infiltration mission, you observe the schedule of the patrols and relieving. By timing your movement and relying on your memory, you can avoid patrols.

"I plot a gap between guard postings." Intelligence. "I anticipate where the guards will leave a gap in security." Wisdom. "I dive behind cover when that guard looks in my direction." Dexterity.

In each case, the player probably has a skill in mind that he'd like to use. If it fits, let him use it.

Last edited:

I generally use use the variant. However I sometimes allow subsidiary skill use to gain advantage on another skill check rather than defaulting to a different ability. For example most checks to intimidate someone are to make them do something constructive rather than just run away. Hence Charisma (Intimidation), but I'll allow a DC10 Strength check beforehand to gain advantage on the intimidation roll.
With the benefit that it doesn't have to be the same person making both rolls, so more of the party get involved in the social encounter.

Syntallah

First Post
I never not run the game using the variant rule. It has helped me tremendously to avoid the so-called "dump stat" phenomenon, considering that I use Wisdom for "passive" Perception and Investigation checks, and Intelligence for "active" Perception and Investigation checks (and thus INT jumps up in usage more than 200%). It's also allowed me to get rid of what I've always found to be rarely-used niche skills because I can now roll them into other ones to beef them up and just use different ability scores to represent them. So I got rid of Acrobatics as a skill because now I just ask for a Strength check or Dexterity check and then they can add Athletics to either one if the check is about body manipulation and physicality. And Sleight of Hand went by the wayside and instead I ask for Dexterity (Deception) checks-- thereby beefing up Deception's use too slightly.

Mu current slate of skills in my games are:

Animal Handling
Arcana
Athletics (absorbs Acrobatics)
Commerce (anything business or money related)
Deception (absorbs Sleight of Hand)
Etiquette (anything related to nobility, high society)
Folklore (anything related to common folk, low society)
History
Insight (WIS + Insight for sensing emotions, INT + Insight for strategy and tactics)
Investigation
Mechanics (absorbs Thieve's Tools and anything related to tinkering/engineering)
Nature
Perception
Persuasion (absorbs Intimidation, Performance)
Religion
Stealth
Survival (absorbs Medicine)

I'm already using your Perception/investigation variant, and I love it. How did you break up the new skills (i.e. Commerce, Etiquette, and Folklore) for the purposes of who can learn them? Did you add them to class lists, all/some Backgrounds, or both?

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I did make some adjustments to the various backgrounds to take the new ones into account (and the loss of some of the others). My backgrounds list for my last two Strahd campaigns were as follows, although I hadn't yet made the switch from Thieve's Tools to the Mechanics skill (as tinkering/engineering was not going to have much of a place):

Code:
Background	Skill		Skill	
Acolyte		Insight		Religion
Charlatan	Deception	Etiquette		
Courtier	Insight		Persuasion	
Criminal	Deception	Stealth		
Entertainer	Folklore	Persuasion		
Folk Hero	Animal Hand.	Folklore		
Inheritor	Commerce	History		
Investigator	Insight		Investigation	
Haunted One	Folklore	Perception		
Hermit		Nature		Religion