Mending

pukunui

Legend
Mending allows you to repair a single break or tear in an object. If something has been broken into multiple pieces, obviously a single casting of mending wouldn't be enough, but could you use it multiple times to repair the item, piece by piece?

The reason I ask is because two of the players in my ToA game smashed up a clue with a sledgehammer and the cleric's player wanted to know if he could use mending to piece it back together. I initially said no but now I'm thinking I should allow it with multiple castings.

Any thoughts?

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I would, but I might require an intelligence (investigation) check to figure out how to piece it together. A lower DC for simpler items with fewer pieces and perhaps advantage if it is an item that the castor was familiar with before the break and a higher number of for more complex items, many pieces, and items that the castor is unfamiliar with. Instead of multiple casts, I would home rule that it can be cast as a ritual.

Shiroiken

Legend
As a cantrip, as long as they have all of the pieces, I think it could be done, but as [MENTION=6796661]MNblockhead[/MENTION] said, requiring an Int check to do it correct would be a good idea. If it's something that could be crafted from a tool, I'd allow that proficiency, but otherwise Investigation seems like the puzzle solving skill.

Nevvur

Explorer
I'd allow the attempt for sure. I'd most likely make the repair automatic rather than require a die roll. How often is mending likely to save the day in this campaign?

There's a scene early in HotDQ where you can use 5 castings of mending to repair a broken barrier, if you want an official precedent.

pukunui

Legend
Thanks everyone!

In this case, we're talking about a stone panel of various colored tiles that was set into a wall. It's something of a decoder, but I think some of the players thought they were buttons or something and if the just smashed it, they'd find a secret hidey-hole behind it. Much to their chagrin, that wasn't the case. [If you want to know more, take a look at the section on Papazotl's Shrine in Omu (Tomb of Annihilation).]

I'd allow the attempt for sure. I'd most likely make the repair automatic rather than require a die roll. How often is mending likely to save the day in this campaign?
It has already done so once before, when pesky goblins poked holes in their canoes.

There's a scene early in HotDQ where you can use 5 castings of mending to repair a broken barrier, if you want an official precedent.
Right! I'd forgotten about that! Thanks.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Mending is supposed to be used for a mostly-intact item that has been ripped or otherwise damaged. But since the Plot Train needs this clue...

The PCs could "ritual-cast" Mending, maybe several times over, to get the desired result. Since they are trying to do more than the spell was designed / intended maybe it should also require a spell slot or two to "power" it.

From a certain point of view, the PCs are trying to up-cast a cantrip. Handle it on that basis.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I'd allow and just say that it will take X amount of minutes. Perhaps they need to concentrate on the spell and as they do, every few seconds a piece flies back up and reattaches itself to the main piece.

Herosmith14

First Post
Ya know, mending is helpful when you sent your maul trying to knock a swinging axe booby trap off course, as my barbarian found out. We finally found someone with mending (new player) and she didn't cooperate because she didn't like me for some reason. I'm only a cannibalistic lizardfolk.

If the item was ceramic or wooden or of some similar material, just use the line from the 3.X version of the spell that was left out of the 5E version for some reason:

"Ceramic or wooden objects with multiple breaks can be invisibly rejoined to be as strong as new."

Horwath

Legend
As long as you have all(or most of the pieces 95%+) and you know what exactly are you repairing and you put piece next to the piece that it should go, I would say yes.

You could not cast mending 20 times on a bag of broken ceramics and expect a tea set to emerge out of it. But if you find and arrange every piece next to the piece that connects to, you could mend the whole set given enough time and mending casts.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases