Anyone else tired of the miserly begrudging Rogue design of 5E?

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
I think there's a bit of slippage going on here.

Quantitatively, though the Rogue's expertise will be better than the Druid or Warlock with the same skill.

As I pointed out above (post 185), while the rogue's skill game is stronger than most classes, the Bard does mean that the Rogue doesn't corner that niche.

Its not singled out: the fighter also has little or no flexibility to contribute in combat, it's just locked in high.
Flexibility to contribute in combat is not the same as build flexibility, though (or at least, it's not to me).

The rogue doesn't have good build flexibility -- dexterity is always important, even when you want a charisma or strength-focused rogue. (Admittedly, the same accusation can be levelled against most spellcasters (Druid and Cleric I think have flexibility); but given the limited number of non-magical class options, build flexibility for the rogue is important.

Rossbert

Explorer
The rogue doesn't have good build flexibility -- dexterity is always important, even when you want a charisma or strength-focused rogue. (Admittedly, the same accusation can be levelled against most spellcasters (Druid and Cleric I think have flexibility); but given the limited number of non-magical class options, build flexibility for the rogue is important.

I think that is not limited to the rogue. Other than the fighter and ranger, who both have DEX or STR builds, there isn't a huge amount of flexibility to most classes, you more or less pick your lead stat when you pick your class. Your spell stat is basically essential, barbarians pretty much need strength.

A strength based rogue is actually more viable than most other off-stat classes even if not optimal (should still use a finesse or light weapon, just use strength for the attack, use Expertise for your essential skills off the top of my head). There are hoops to jump through and limitations to deal with, but far fewer than a DEX cleric or a CHA wizard.

I am sure there are some dual builds I am missing but it doesn't seem to be the norm.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Yup, that's true.

As I posted earlier (#185), I want to be able to create capable non-magical characters favouring Wisdom, Intelligence, and Charisma, as well as Str and Dex. The fighter can do both Str and Dex, the Rogue really needs at least a 14 Dex or will be felt to be behind (at least in my experience).

For me, Cleric is the most flexible class in terms of design options (in 5e). (Moon druid is too, in part because shapechanging allows you to sidestep the issue).

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I suspect the issue is about the Rogue player's enjoyment being reduced by the perception that they are lacking so rather than saying, they should just re-skin as another class (and the UA scout fighter is perfectly functional for someone who wants to play a more skilled fighter - 2 levels of Rogue and the rest as a scout fighter especially with some moves from the martial adept feat might actually deliver but I digress), it's legitimate to think of options that might help.

Perception of play is a big deal and being able to damage spike occasionally might be enough to make the player have more fun. I would say a magic item is the best way to go. The next best is a daily pool of backstabbing dice, and an undesirable third option is letting them sneak attack more often.

Start low and work your way up imo.

I agree on an individual (as opposed to a general game-wide) basis, a magic item to help this player out is probably a good idea.

I guess the question is, what magic item?

I will throw one out there. How about this:

Schrödinger's Necklace

This small metal box is delicately carved with the shapes of cats across it's surface, and hangs from a plain metal chain.

By expending a charge of this necklace along with an attack, you can be in two places at once. Make your attack as normal, and then you may make another attack as if you had moved to a location within range of your movement speed prior to making that additional attack. Your additional attack happens as if you had not made your first attack, so you may use any once-per-turn abilities (such as sneak attack) for the additional attack as well. Once the additional attack is made (regardless of whether it succeeds or not) you snap back to the spot you were in prior to activating the necklace. During each of these attacks, you remain vulnerable to opportunity attacks and other reactions as normal, as if you were physically in both places simultaneously.

The necklace has 5 charges and regains 1d4 + 1 expended charges daily at dawn. If you expend the last charge, roll a d20. On a 1, the box opens revealing the figure of a dead cat, and the necklace ceases to function.

Last edited:

Pauln6

Hero
I agree on an individual (as opposed to a general game-wide) basis, a magic item to help this player out is probably a good idea.

I guess the question is, what magic item?

I will throw one out there. How about this:

Schrödinger's Necklace

This small metal box is delicately carved with the shapes of cats across it's surface, and hangs from a plain metal chain.

By expending a charge of this necklace along with an attack, you can be in two places at once. Make your attack as normal, and then you may make another attack as if you had moved to a location within range of your movement speed prior to making that additional attack. Your additional attack happens as if you had not made your first attack, so you may use any once-per-turn abilities (such as sneak attack) for the additional attack as well. Once the additional attack is made (regardless of whether it succeeds or not) you snap back to the spot you were in prior to activating the necklace. During each of these attacks, you remain vulnerable to opportunity attacks and other reactions as normal, as if you were physically in both places simultaneously.

The necklace has 5 charges and regains 1d4 + 1 expended charges daily at dawn. If you expend the last charge, roll a d20. On a 1, the box opens revealing the figure of a dead cat, and the necklace ceases to function.

Genius.

Ilbranteloth

Explorer
I refuse the argument "you need to remain weak, little rogue, so us others can have enough combat time".

The rogue isn't "as good as the others", you yourself said it. But there is nothing the Rogue can do out of combat that is qualitatively better than what a Druid or Warlock or Bard can do out of combat. They don't do the same things (at least not in the same way), but they can all pick ooc tasks and be successful at them.

---

So I ask again - why single out the Rogue as the sole class with no or little build flexibility to contribute in combat especially given its class description which suggests it should be excellent in combat (fearsome assassin, etc) ?

Again, if you want to be able to murderize your foes, why play a rogue when a fighter (or sorcerer) is much better at the job, which isn't just "killing the mark quickly" but also "...with as little risk of dropping yourself as possible"?!?

And again, those of you answering "I don't mind my rogue being weakish in combat, he's excellent out of it" - you are not answering the core question!!

If you don't mind its combat capability then you won't mind if we boost that? Right?

And don't come running with "if you boost combat, you need to take away from out-of-combat, and I'm not having that" - I am not taking away anything from you. If the player chooses a combat focus, it is not a problem that this becomes the focus - it is the answer.

And if you answer that with "but I need my rogue to be a weak combatant" I'm saying "but I'm not removing the possibility to build such a rogue, I just want to add a combat build".

Only if you answer that with "but I need Rogues to be the only class that isn't and can't be built for combat, despite being a martial class clearly advertised for precise strikes" are we done, because then you are clearly unreasonable.

So what it is? Where do y'all stand?

OK, I'll start with the last question. You know where I stand, I think the rogue plays just fine as it is.

And I will also state that this thread is like many others where there is a declared "problem" with the game, with the assumption that it's a problem for everybody. So when you ask for input with that approach, you'll often get a debate about whether your declaration is right or not, instead of just input about how to tweak the rules.

I don't think "it's not as good as the others" and I personally don't care whether there is balance between the classes in and out of combat. However, in my experience when I've played in games where people focus on things like DPR, they also tend to focus on spotlighting, balance between the characters, etc. So making a rogue more deadly in combat can affect how players who care about such things feel about the rogue in relation to other classes.

We don't look at "who is better at the job." The PCs are the PCs, they are people in a world that have banded together for some reason to go adventuring. If a combat ensues, their only real concern is surviving it. If the rogue takes 4 rounds to kill their orc, and the fighter only took 3, they don't care. All they care about is that the orcs are dead. The fighter might have had a round to go help the wizard with their orc, or whatever.

Our characters aren't designed to "murderize their foes," and when they are in combat, they aren't in a competition to see who does it "best." That's not their focus. In addition, they expect that a fighter will be better than a rogue in combat, and that magic is often more powerful than mundane combat. If I was to complain about anything (and I have) it's that there are far too many spellcasting classes, and they get spellcasting at too early a level.

I haven't seen rogues dying more frequently than other classes, nor have I seen any significant difference between classes in how quickly they defeat their foes in actual gameplay. Combat is dependent on a lot of variables, and with the rogue's mobility and, as they get to higher levels, their defensive benefits make them a considerable asset in any combat. Combat is generally a team effort in our play, so it's more about each character contributing, rather than keeping track of individual kills.

All of this comes together to a very simple conclusion. The rogue is just fine as is. For us. It meets all of our expectations in and out of combat, and considering altering the combat capability of the rogue alters the game in ways we don't want. In particular, we prefer a grittier, "normal people" doing heroic things to "heroic people" doing super-heroic things. So if anything, our approach would be to reduce damage output across the board, and if that means lowering the rogue less, that would probably be OK.

If you feel differently, then go ahead and make changes. And if nobody at your table minds boosting the rogue's combat without altering anything else in the game, then you're good. But saying that there is no need to consider the effects of balance across the entire game and all classes if you boost the rogue's combat ability can cause problems in other people's games. Because some people may like the overall balance of the classes, and boosting the abilities for only one class alters that balance. Just because you don't consider the out-of-combat abilities worthy of consideration doesn't mean that others don't.

The rogue is designed as a skirmisher. To get in, make a (big) hit, and get out of the way of danger. They can benefit from their increased damage output using ranged or melee weapons. They can help turn the tide of combat more than just about any other class with these abilities, by providing that extra damage (either before or after their ally) that pushes the total damage in that round over the threshold to drop the creature.

Beyond that, we don't really think in terms of "alpha strikes" "burst capability" or "going nova." It's just not our playstyle, so I can't really help with those. It seems to me that Dual Wielder, Martial Adept, Sharpshooter, Skulker, and Sentinel all benefit the Rogue greatly in combat. Additional archetypes that have been published provide other ways to gain Sneak Attack as well.

Beyond that, if I were to consider altering the Sneak Attack mechanism, I might look back to earlier editions that multiplied damage instead of adding damage. This can be much more variable (not just because of the die rolls, but the die types used, etc.). Perhaps the Proficiency bonus could be used as the multiplier (x2 at 1st level, x3 at 5th level, etc.) I have no idea how the math scales out, and the damage increase happens slower. But it might address the issue that you have.

Tony Vargas

Legend
A lot of pages are spent on combat rules, and there are reasons for that - but those reasons do not inherently include "that's what the game is about" for every game that has combat rules that take up more pages in the book the other sorts of rules do.
We seem to be in contentious agreement on that point.

Flexibility to contribute in combat is not the same as build flexibility, though (or at least, it's not to me).
I didn't think that was the topic. I thought it was whether the class had the flexibility to contribute more or less to combat relative to the other two pillars, thus adapting itself to the emphasis of a given campaign....

Last edited:

Ilbranteloth

Explorer
I think it is hilarious when people equate word count needed to make fair and functional rules for a thing with the importance the game puts on that thing, so they see the book as being "all about combat" because those rules take more words than other rules do.

Never mind how the book says to actually play the game or what the book says the focus of play is meant to be on - only page count means anything!

Which is made even more hilarious by the fact that even Call of Cthulhu, a game that explicitly tells you that if you are in combat you are likely to end up with your character dead so you should seriously avoid combat - especially with actual monsters - spends more page count on combat rules than other sorts of rules, so this failure of logic that equates page count with "what the book's about" would say that Call of Cthulhu is "all about combat."

And if you don't think so, you must not be "thinking for yourself."

Absolutely. Not to mention the fact that the APs that have been released provide lots of exploration, adventuring, and scenarios where combat isn't the preferred option for resolution.

Designing combat rules is complex, and has a lot of parts to address. Which means more words. In addition, the combat rules are very mechanically-based, and provide a framework for the players to engage directly with the mechanical rules. On the other hand, exploration, social encounters, etc. are all dependent primarily on DM input. The mechanical aspects can be summed up fairly easily in the Using Ability Score and Adventuring chapters, and the rest of the material is in the DMG, where there is a much lower page count for combat rules.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Hey, has anyone heard whether everyone's furious arguing in this thread about the target has worked yet? Has Mearls said anything about Revising the rogue because some people feel it could use a little more DPR?

I presume that's why people are still going on about it as though there's a chance of a change being made to the Core game. Because no one would go on this long over a pointless argument to which the result has already been determined, right? No one would be wasting their time like that, would they? ;)

Beyond that, if I were to consider altering the Sneak Attack mechanism, I might look back to earlier editions that multiplied damage instead of adding damage. This can be much more variable (not just because of the die rolls, but the die types used, etc.). Perhaps the Proficiency bonus could be used as the multiplier (x2 at 1st level, x3 at 5th level, etc.) I have no idea how the math scales out, and the damage increase happens slower. But it might address the issue that you have.

Although I still think that the rogue is fine as it is, this idea caught my eyes.
20th level Assassin...
+1 Rapier, 20 dex. 14 max damage multiplied by 6. For a total of 84 dmg.
+1 Arrow, Longbow... Same results...
Factor in the SS feat... 144 dmg.

And that is just one attack. One attack that will normaly be made with advantage. That strike can kill a lot of things. That is way too much damage if you want my opinion.
At least a fighter with the PM and GWM will have to roll a few dice and might miss some attacks. Even if all attacks hit, we look at a damage range going around 79 to 124 with a +1 polearm. I am not factoring in the action surge.

The fighter will not be able to surge indefinately, but a well built rogue could go at this kind of damage for a long time (wood elf, in some woods will hide then sneak almost indefinitely.) The fighter, will be seen and attacked, the enemies still got some chance to fight back.

Nope, rogue is quite fine as is.

Remove ads