Pathfinder 2E We need a damage on a miss forum again!!

From the newest PF2 preview:

The fighter can use the special certain strike action, which lets him strike with the following failure effect.

Failure: Your attack deals the minimum damage. (Treat this as though you had rolled a 1 on every die.)

So with certain strike, a failed attack roll isn't actually a miss—your fighter is so skilled that you still get a glancing blow on a failure and miss entirely only on a critical failure!

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
Yes. This may or may not be what the game needs, but it is definitely what the community needs.

Let the hate pour through you.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Welp...

I think it’s great. But, unless all of the 3.X fans drop PF2 like a hot potato and all of the 4e fans adopt it, there’s no way this won’t grt ripped apart in the playtest feedback.

The cynic in me wonders if this is a Censor Decoy for the playtesters. Put in something they know their fan base hates, fully intending to cut it, in hopes that the players direct all of their ire that things are changing there and overlook the less controversial changes.

Last edited:

Arilyn

Hero
Welp...

I think it’s great. But, unless all of the 3.X fans drop PF2 like a hot potato and all of the 4e fans adopt it, there’s no way this won’t grt ripped apart in the playtest feedback.

The cynic in me wonders if this is a Censory Decoy for the playtesters. Put in something they know their fan base hates, fully intending to cut it, in hopes that the players direct all of their ire that things are changing there and overlook the less controversial changes.

The whole "damage on a miss " is not a big deal. It fits fiction quite well, and you see it in action movies all the time. The hero misses with his weapon, so knees his opponent hard in the groin, or whacks him with his shield or gauntlet. It could even be explained as the fighter hitting his opponent's shield so hard, his opponent takes an arm injury. I think players are reacting badly cause they think the breeze from the missing weapon is somehow damaging? I remember my initial reaction to this in 4e was negative, but then realized it was no big deal. Same with 13th Age. If it's easy to explain, it'll work fine.

Kobold Boots

Banned
Banned
I dislike this but it's a good story effect.

When you absolutely must hit, even if for garbage points, you can.
If someone knows of a reason or has a scenario why a fighter might gimp himself every round where this would be imbalancing, do tell.

KB

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
The whole "damage on a miss " is not a big deal. It fits fiction quite well, and you see it in action movies all the time. The hero misses with his weapon, so knees his opponent hard in the groin, or whacks him with his shield or gauntlet. It could even be explained as the fighter hitting his opponent's shield so hard, his opponent takes an arm injury. I think players are reacting badly cause they think the breeze from the missing weapon is somehow damaging? I remember my initial reaction to this in 4e was negative, but then realized it was no big deal. Same with 13th Age. If it's easy to explain, it'll work fine.

I don’t think it’s a big deal either, actually I think it’s a great mechanic. But people get really touchy when it comes to the degree of abstraction involved in attacks, hits, and damage. That’s why damage on a “miss” and if hit points should be meat are two of the most controversial topics in D&D. To me, a failed attack roll doesn’t have to mean a miss, a successful attack roll doesnt have to mean a hit, and damage doesn’t [/i]have to[/i] mean physical injury. For many others, the opposite is true, and damage on a failed attack roll isn’t going to sit well with them even if you argue that the failed attack roll isn’t really a miss. That’s a non-starter for many people, and in my observation, many PF1 fans in particular.

Remove ads