RPG Evolution: Do We Still Need "Race" in D&D?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The term "race" is a staple of fantasy that is now out of sync with modern usage. With Pathfinder shifting from "race" to "ancestry" in its latest edition, it raises the question: should fantasy games still use it?

DNDSpecies.gif

“Race” and Modern Parlance

We previously discussed the challenges of representing real-life cultures in a fantasy world, with African and Asian countries being just two examples. The discussion becomes more complicated with fantasy "races"—historically, race was believed to be determined by the geographic arrangement of populations. Fantasy gaming, which has its roots in fantasy literature, still uses the term “race” this way.

Co-creator of D&D Gary Gygax cited R.E. Howard's Conan series as an influence on D&D, which combines Lovecraftian elements with sword and sorcery. Howard's perceptions may have been a sign of the times he lived in, but it seems likely they influenced his stories. Robert B. Marks explains just how these stereotypes manifested in Conan's world:
The young, vibrant civilizations of the Hyborian Age, like Aquilonia and Nemedia, are white - the equivalent of Medieval Europe. Around them are older Asiatic civilizations like Stygia and Vendhya, ancient, decrepit, and living on borrowed time. To the northwest and the south are the barbarian lands - but only Asgard and Vanaheim are in any way Viking. The Black Kingdoms are filled with tribesmen evoking the early 20th century vision of darkest Africa, and the Cimmerians and Picts are a strange cross between the ancient Celts and Native Americans - and it is very clear that the barbarians and savages, and not any of the civilized people or races, will be the last ones standing.
Which leads us to the other major fantasy influence, author J.R.R. Tolkien. David M. Perry explains in an interview with Helen Young:
In Middle Earth, unlike reality, race is objectively real rather than socially constructed. There are species (elves, men, dwarves, etc.), but within those species there are races that conform to 19th-century race theory, in that their physical attributes (hair color, etc.) are associated with non-physical attributes that are both personal and cultural. There is also an explicit racial hierarchy which is, again, real in the world of the story.
The Angry GM elaborates on why race and culture were blended in Tolkien's works:
The thing is, in the Tolkienverse, at least, in the Lord of the Rings version of the Tolkienverse (because I can’t speak for what happened in the Cinnabon or whatever that other book was called), the races were all very insular and isolated. They didn’t deal with one another. Race and culture went hand in hand. If you were a wood elf, you were raised by wood elves and lived a thoroughly wood elf lifestyle until that whole One Ring issue made you hang out with humans and dwarves and halflings. That isolation was constantly thrust into the spotlight. Hell, it was a major issue in The Hobbit.
Given the prominence of race in fantasy, it's not surprising that D&D has continued the trend. That trend now seems out of sync with modern parlance; in 1951, the United Nations officially declared that the differences among humans were "insignificant in relation to the anthropological sameness among the peoples who are the human race."

“Race” and Game Design

Chris Van Dyke's essay on race back in 2008 explains how pervasive "race" is in D&D:
Anyone who has played D&D has spent a lot of time talking about race – “Racial Attributes,” “Racial Restrictions,” “Racial Bonuses.” Everyone knows that different races don’t get along – thanks to Tolkien, Dwarves and Elves tend to distrust each other, and even non-gamers know that Orcs and Goblins are, by their very nature, evil creatures. Race is one of the most important aspects of any fantasy role-playing game, and the belief that there are certain inherent genetic and social distinctions between different races is built into every level of most (if not all) Fantasy Role-Playing Games.
Racial characteristics in D&D have changed over time. Basic Dungeons & Dragons didn't distinguish between race and class for non-humans, such that one played a dwarf, elf, or halfling -- or a human fighter or cleric. The characteristics of race were so tightly intertwined that race and profession were considered one.

In Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, the changes became more nuanced, but not without some downsides on character advancement, particularly in allowing “demihumans” to multiclass but with level limits preventing them from exceeding humanity, who had unlimited potential (but could only dual-class).

With Fifth Edition, ability penalties and level caps have been removed, but racial bonuses and proficiencies still apply. The Angry GM explains why this is a problem:
In 5E, you choose a race and a class, but you also choose a background. And the background represents your formative education and socio-economic standing and all that other stuff that basically represents the environment in which you were raised. The racial abilities still haven’t changed even though there is now a really good place for “cultural racial abilities” to live. So, here’s where the oddity arises. An elf urchin will automatically be proficient with a longsword and longbow, two weapons that requires years of training to even become remotely talent with, but a human soldier does not get any automatic martial training. Obviously, in both cases, class will modify that. But in the life of your character, race happens first, then background, and only later on do you end up a member of a class. It’s very quirky.
Perhaps this is why Pathfinder decided to take a different approach to race by shifting to the term “ancestry”:
Beyond the narrative, there are many things that have changed, but mostly in the details of how the game works. You still pick a race, even though it is now called your ancestry. You still decide on your class—the rulebook includes all of the core classes from the First Edition Core Rulebook, plus the alchemist. You still select feats, but these now come from a greater variety of sources, such as your ancestry, your class, and your skills.
"Ancestry" is not just a replacement for the word “race.” It’s a fluid term that requires the player to make choices at character creation and as the character advances. This gives an opportunity to express human ethnicities in game terms, including half-elves and half-orcs, without forcing the “subrace” construct.

The Last Race

It seems likely that, from both a modern parlance and game design perspective, “race” as it is used today will fall out of favor in fantasy games. It’s just going to take time. Indigo Boock sums up the challenge:
Fantasy is a doubled edged sword. Every human culture has some form of fantasy, we all have some sort of immortal ethereal realm where our elven creatures dwell. There’s always this realm that transcends culture. Tolkien said, distinct from science fiction (which looks to the future), fantasy is to feel like one with the entire universe. Fantasy is real, deep human yearning. We look to it as escapism, whether we play D&D, or Skyrim, or you are like myself and write fantasy. There are unfortunately some old cultural tropes that need to be discarded, and it can be frustratingly slow to see those things phased out.
Here's hoping other role-playing games will follow Pathfinder's lead in how treats its fantasy people in future editions.

Last edited:

Michael Tresca

Michael Tresca

Obryn

Hero
Thank you, Obryn. This topic is exquisitely frustrating for me and you said what I should have said. Eloquent and respectful. Well done.
I'm trying a kinder, gentler approach. I am burnt out on piss & vinegar from an unrelated discussion about the merits of homeopathy. :D

(That is, none. It has no merits at all.)

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
D00d. STOP.

There is at no point in anything that I've said where I've even insinuated that it was becasue of Racism of White People.

I don't recall saying you did. I just often read how problematic the ancestral makeup of D&D gamers is/was and wondered why it was a negative, and if there was some particular reason people think it developed that way? Not trying to fight or anything, but I'll take my leave of this.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Blood.

Blood is the word everyone is grasping for. We are talking about something to define "genetics" in a non-anachronistic sounding way.

The word "Ancestry" is almost already a dogwhistle for the word "Race" right now anyway.

Kite474

Explorer
Eh sure, if it makes some folks comfortable sure. Gonna need a catchy replacement thought. Ancestry could work. Shadow of the Demon Lord uses it and it works pretty well. Especially when some of the stuff you play in that cant really qualify as a physical species

I dont think we should get rid of race as mechanic though. Its a fun customization feature.

Celebrim

Legend
When we use the term "race" in our games, isn't that a reminder?

No. And even if I thought it was, I don't think you can preserve the actual ideas and make any sort of meaningful change by just replacing a word. Or, in the words of the proponent of this theory, "You still choose a race, only it's called an ancestry." Leaving aside the silliness of thinking that a pointer to something is in itself problematic when the idea it represents isn't and is by their own admission basically unchanged, the act of dumbing down the language like that is threatening to the ability of society to think clearly. The last thing we need is more of this Gleichshaltung and EngSoc manipulation of the language to prevent badwrongthink.

I'll ask again what I asked earlier in the thread: if one more gamer feels welcome in gaming because we move on from this term, wouldn't it be worth it?

No. Because it doesn't work that way. It's just a logical fallacy, and I'm not required to treat the "if it saves one life..." type arguments as very serious.

Are you so attached to this term (which you admit has functional equivalents without the connotations) that you would leave it as a barrier?

It's not a barrier. If you think the word "race" is in and of itself derogatory and problematic, I just have no words. But even if I conceded it was problematic, then it would be problematic not as a pointer but because of the idea it pointed to. So if it really was problematic, just changing the word out wouldn't help. But no one actually seems to really think we don't need race in our fantasy games; at most they think we should invent an obscuring imprecise term for what we are talking about so that we don't have to actually think about what we are talking about.

I mean, among the things that really bothers me about this is that the people pushing for "ancestry" actually are making it part of there justification that once you did that, then it would be just peachy keen to mechanically divide humanity into different races. Oh swell, isn't that just so progressive. The idea that there would be one gamer that feels unwelcome in gaming because you do that, probably doesn't matter to you much, because we are going to win on that one gamer that feels welcome, right?

D&D moved on from gender-based ability score penalties years ago. Why can't we move on from this?

LOL. Oh dear. So you are going to argue that "race" as a word is actually equivalent to gender-based ability score caps, but you aren't actually even slightly concerned about the fact that multiple posters in this thread are using this term shift as a cover for bringing actual mechanical race based packages to the hobby, and that actual idea would be blessed as all right then because we used the non-problematic pointer "ancestry"? You got all your priorities absolutely backwards.

Gaming should be for everyone that wants to participate, right?

Yes. Absolutely. That's one thing we can agree on.

Last edited by a moderator:

Phasestar

First Post
Am I correct in giving all different ideas their due and boiling this entire long heated discussion down to:

"Race is probably the most accurate and genre appropriate word for describing different sentient fantasy creatures, but it is also a word that some people find offensive in the real world and should be changed to increase inclusiveness." ?

Except for the last part, that's about right. If we stop using every word someone finds offensive, even if used in a completely different context, what exactly will be left? If the only requirement to stop using a word is that someone pipe up and declare that it has baggage, where is the line drawn on that? I refuse to agree to this type of useless censorship. When a word is used accurately, in good faith, with no malice and in a setting where it should not cause any possible offense, then to me the argument that it is nevertheless somehow offensive is without merit.

Moreover, the proposed synonyms all have slightly different meanings and are not better as alternatives. It also seems likely that it is only a matter of time before someone finds one of the proposed synonyms offensive in some other way...

Actually, I think that'd be pretty cool.

Let people take X number of "ancestry" traits and it would literally define their biological ancestry. Perhaps they're just a mutt and thanks to that they've got darkvision, stonecunning and trance-sleep. Or something.

Have 4 degrees of ancestry, (and these labels are off top of my head after a VERY long day, my oldest daughter’s pet rabbit died, so yeah, long day, but anyway) have Least, Lesser, Greater, and Full or Trace/Half/Strong/Full or some such, each with increasingly powerful abilities. You get 4 points/levels/whatever to use. So a Full Elven ancestry would have all the possibly abilities, but a Half-Elf/Half-Human would have 2 stages in each of those races. You could add all sorts of fun Least stages. So you want someone only mildly tiefling, be Greater Human/Least Fiendish, and so on. (Hmm, maybe “Strong Human and Trace Fiendish ancestry” labels might sound better, I dunno.) Or like Shidaku’s example, have 4 entirely different Trace ancestries for a very cosmopolitan, blended ancestry. Might be an interesting system to explore.

S

Sunseeker

Have 4 degrees of ancestry, (and these labels are off top of my head after a VERY long day, my oldest daughter’s pet rabbit died, so yeah, long day, but anyway) have Least, Lesser, Greater, and Full or Trace/Half/Strong/Full or some such, each with increasingly powerful abilities. You get 4 points/levels/whatever to use. So a Full Elven ancestry would have all the possibly abilities, but a Half-Elf/Half-Human would have 2 stages in each of those races. You could add all sorts of fun Least stages. So you want someone only mildly tiefling, be Greater Human/Least Fiendish, and so on. (Hmm, maybe “Strong Human and Trace Fiendish ancestry” labels might sound better, I dunno.) Or like Shidaku’s example, have 4 entirely different Trace ancestries for a very cosmopolitan, blended ancestry. Might be an interesting system to explore.

Trace, Mild, Strong and Extra Spicy Ancestry!

I think it would be most interesting to see blends of near-races, like Drow and Wood Elf.

Jay Verkuilen

Grand Master of Artificial Flowers
Here's what had bothered me for the longest time, and I am quite serious on this: "Race" is largely acceptable in fantasy genres where they were once classified in older games as "human" and "demi-human". The connection was the assimption that all human-like races were evolved or created from the same mold in the same world by different deities as different expressions and aspects of the world created. I find this acceptable and meaningful and not overly concerned with modern alertism and hyper-sensitive overreactions.

Yeah, makes sense to me.

My only beef, speaking strictly in game terms, is how there is little emphasis on actual cultural differences for humans. Elves have come in all kinds of flavors, complete with significant changes in character packages, options, midifiers, etc. Elves being the primary example, of course, as we see similar treatments for dwarves, halflings, and other fantasy staples. But humans, who traditionally dominate the landscape as the most numerous, most varied, and most adaptable race on nearly every world is left flavorless, untouched, and purely vanilla. Is it caution to err with a conservative approach so as not to offend real-world races with interpretations that might be construed as offensive if viewed in the wrong light? Or something else?

I'm not entirely sure, but there have been a wider set of human cultures in worlds such as Forgotten Realms and Greyhawk. The core areas of both are pseudo-Europes, of course, but there are plenty of other choices throughout and highly cosmopolitan areas such as Waterdeep and the City of Greyhawk, where one can encounter humans from all over the place. I put in a number in my own campaign world, which were explicitly drawn from RL human cultures, but of different times, due to the presence of planar travel at different times. Indeed, even RAH has many real world analog cultures, although they are treated in the manner of his times.

Nevertheless, I think a lot of the reason comes from the fact that the main authors of these worlds were largely white guys from the Midwest or Canada who were highly interested in things Medieval who were mostly working on these worlds in the 1970s.

Obryn

Hero
Except for the last part, that's about right. If we stop using every word someone finds offensive, even if used in a completely different context, what exactly will be left? If the only requirement to stop using a word is that someone pipe up and declare that it has baggage, where is the line drawn on that? I refuse to agree to this type of useless censorship. When a word is used accurately, in good faith, with no malice and in a setting where it should not cause any possible offense, then to me the argument that it is nevertheless somehow offensive is without merit
Who's actually arguing this?

And why's there a big pile of straw on the floor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases