D&D 5E Best 5E Adventure Paths?

hastur_nz

First Post
I liked Curse of Strahd; everything requires modifications by the DM to suit their group, especially long-running campaigns, but I found CoS fun and could easily have got more out of it but decided to finish it before Christmas so we had a nice year-end conclusion.

Out of the Abyss, not so much (was a player; we cut it after the first half, it didn't play as well as some would-be-DM's might have you think).

I'm a big fan of some of the original 3.5 Adventure Paths in Dungeon Mag - in particular, Age of Worms is great (ran it from 1-20+ using 3.5 and also 5e), and I loved running Savage Tide (skipped the first adventure, and ran it using 4e rules, 3-30+, with Eberron as the setting, it was a really good fit for 4e).

Personally, I don't find any real value in a 5e conversion of old material - I can convert old stuff myself, easily enough - have done so for large campaigns as above, and also single adventures woven into a campaign e.g. B5 into Storm King's Thunder. Once you stop over-doing the prep, it's really easy to make a few basic notes on monster swaps, DC's, and basically wing it. Most 5e products are not that great, IMO, so I happily scavenge pieces from wherever. In particular, the designers have never really figured out how to design adventures for higher-level PC's, so as a DM you really do end up using the tail-end as a rough guide and making changes to suit your group.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Love, love, love Tyranny of Dragons. Especially the second half, where the PCs are considered as IMPORTANT by the rest of the world. (Makes a change!)

Curse of Strahd is great. I'm enjoying Storm King's Thunder, though I haven't finished it yet.

Cheers!

Tormyr

Adventurer
Out of Curiosity, which commercially available 5E adventure path that you've read/played strikes you as 'the best' one?

I'm not making this a poll because I don't want to limit it to just WotC products - it could be a 3rd party product.

For these purpose, an adventure path is any product that:
* Anticipates characters advancing for at least 10 levels during the course of the materials,
* Is in one product series (one book or a series of books/magazines/etc...), and
* Can be played back to back without jumping levels.

Something like Yawning Portal meets this criteria. Even though the story is not contiguous, it meets all the requirements. However, Campaign Settings (by themselves) would not as they do not actually include an adventure that spans 10 levels.

(Bonus Question - which Adventure Path from a previous edition would you most want to see updated and rebalanced for 5E rules/monsters?)

I really enjoyed running Age of Worms in 5e. You can get my conversion guide here->http://www.enworld.org/forum/rpgdownloads.php?do=download&downloadid=1254

While it is not out quite yet, War of the Burning Sky is an excellent adventure path. Chapter 1, Player's Guide, and Campaign Guide will be available in a couple weeks as PDFs and on Roll20.

Zeitgeist is also fantastic.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
If you want to go The Full Twenty Levels (and have LOTS of time on your hands), figure out a way to combine Hoard of the Dragon Queen, Rise of Tiamat, and Storm King's Thunder.

The result could feel like the Second World War or feel like Twilight:2000 - The Sword Coast Front.

I'll go even further and say combine LMoP, HotDQ, RoT, SKT & OotA! (We've started a remix of OotA as the final level 15-20 arc of this epic campaign.) (I mixed in the second half of SKT as a replacement for a couple of the weaker sections of RoT).

Remove ads