Mordenkainen's Tome Of Foes Showing Up In The Wild -- See These Preview Shots!

That tweet seems to have disappeared quickly - I can't find it on his account, unless I'm missing something. And it's not surprising if it has been removed as it's a month before even the FLGS release date!

That tweet seems to have disappeared quickly - I can't find it on his account, unless I'm missing something. And it's not surprising if it has been removed as it's a month before even the FLGS release date!

dave2008

Legend
I would bet money that this was the beginning of an elaborate con.

I think so. Fortunately, or unfortunately depending on your point of view, the realtor thought to call the Mussels from Brussels agent. Personally, I think it could have been an interesting story if this had worked for a bit longer. I'm guessing that the agent questioned why JCVD would be interested in a house in central Ohio!

So you don't actually know anything about Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes/ Volo's Guide to Monsters/ Xanathar's Guide to Everything. And are just judging them harshly because they are featuring D&D lore in books. Despite the fact that the books don't do anything you mention.

Like this is possibly the most petty and minor complaint about a D&D book I have heard, along with a bunch of stuff that is blatantly false. Of course you would not know it's false cause you decided to just judge it by some crazy standard and never give them chance.
I guess if someone judges a book by its cover, if they never actually open the book, they can, in their own mind, never be proved wrong about the conclusions drawn from looking at the covers alone...

conclave27

First Post
Can't an old grognard poke fun at his least favorite edition? I'd comment on other products so as not to pick on one all the time, but I can't wait that long for the next one to appear! Ba-dum! Ching!! *rimshot*

I know what you mean of awaiting "new" new stuff. It does seem like we are still recycling things and playing catch up. I am hoping they have some great stuff on the other D&D worlds.
Hopefully we will gets a "Dalamar's Dossier of Dangerous Things"...which will just concentrate on Krynn....because those mages don't like to look beyond their world.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
It’s terrible, and I’ve encountered several new players who are reluctant to play halflings because the art looks so stupid. It’s like a silly cartoon character in a book of characters you’re supposed to be able to take seriously.
Are people taking the other characters "seriously" now...?

The Halfling art isn't the standout in the PHB (I like the Guild Artisan image, and the raccous musician piece), but it isn't any more or less "cartoon character" than the Elves or Dragonborn, say.

E

Elderbrain

The art isn’t great, but the proportions are far from cartoonish. They’re exactly the same proportions as a 4-year-old child.

Funny - I saw that picture and thought "Finally! Real Halflings!". To me the "Halflings" in the art from 3e, 3.5 and 4th weren't real Halflings (to me, real Halflings are Tolkien-style Halflings, the chubby round-headed kind, not something with adult human proportions and looking like a runway model merely reduced in size, and real Halflings live in burrows, not on river rafts! I also reference the Ranklin/Bass cartoons as my standard as what they should look like. But I grew up with those cartoons, so maybe that's just me... :heh:)

Last edited:

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
The art isn’t great, but the proportions are far from cartoonish. They’re exactly the same proportions as a 4-year-old child.

That is cartoonish. An adult with the proportions of a 4 year old is cartoonish.

The idea that a race with the agility and coordination represented by +2 Dexterity has the proportions of a 4 year old human is just absurd.

4 year old children aren't fully grown though. How huge are the heads of 4 year old halflings? Do they have special pillows to keep from breaking their necks?

The art direction is terrible and should feel bad. Though we do get to tease my wife about her gross halfling rogue abomination, so I guess there is that.

Staffan

Legend
Is it, though? I know the style isn't to everybody's tastes, but I've never heard anybody outside if a form who objected to the current D&D Halfling style.
Well, now you have.

The best D&D halflings are, of course, Dark Sun halflings. They live in the jungle and are likely to eat you if you trespass on their territory (contrary to popular belief, they are not​ cannibals - they never eat other halflings). The second-best halflings are Eberron halflings. They are plains nomads who ride on dinosaurs. After that, it's the regular semi-nomadic/river-rat 3e/4e halflings - they're OK, but nothing special.

Old-school/Tolkien halflings? Meh. They're boring. They should stay in Middle-Earth where they belong.

Remove ads

Remove ads