D&D 4E What Aspects of 4E Made It into 5E?

If you remember that you can break up movement between attacks on an Attack action, and that you can substitute an attack with a shove attempt, you can replicate much of the action of melee types from 4e.

Lillika

Explorer
Much of XGtE seems to be stolen from 4th edition, it seems they wanted to wait till people forgot about 4e then add things back. I liked 4th and I like 5th btw. Read the optional magic item distribution rules in XGtE seems alot like 4e.

Warlords aren't a thing in 5e (yet), but Battle Master Fighters, Manipulator Rogues, College of Glamour Bards, and Order Domain Clerics (Unearthed Arcana) all have some Warlord-like abilities.

pemerton

Legend
5e follows 4e in its spells having fixed effects, rather than duration and/or damage by level. This is a big part of achieving parity of mechanical effectiveness across classes.

Tony Vargas

Legend
If you remember that you can break up movement between attacks on an Attack action, and that you can substitute an attack with a shove attempt,
That's more of a 3e-ism, you could break up your Full Attack, taking that 5' step at any point and mix different attacks, including quick-drawing a different weapon, making both ranged & melee attacks in the same full attack, or using various attack-equivalent maneuvers.
you can replicate much of the action of melee types from 4e.
Not so much, no.

5e follows 4e in its spells having fixed effects, rather than duration an
d/or damage by level. This is a big part of achieving parity of mechanical effectiveness across classes.
They just scale with slot level, instead. And, it clearly isn't big enough a part, as there's no such parity in 5e. The neo-Vancian casters are still Tier 1, the fighter only migrated from Tier 5 to 4, being genuinely good at it's one thing, now.

It's prettymuch the usual suspects.

Riley37

First Post
Much of XGtE seems to be stolen from 4th edition, it seems they wanted to wait till people forgot about 4e then add things back. I liked 4th and I like 5th btw. Read the optional magic item distribution rules in XGtE seems alot like 4e.

They didn't need us to *forget* 4e. They needed to show the player base that they had learned from the worst of 4e's mistakes, and that playing a 5e character could feel somewhat different from playing a deck of Magic cards.

There is a difference between publishing some written-during-4e material as a splatbook, as an optional supplement to the core rules of 5e, and publishing that material directly in the 5e PHB. 5e supports the option of 4e-style play. That's a fine thing. *Requiring* 4e-style play would have been a mistake.

What if, in 4e, druid abilities depended on affinity with nature, and thus druids had to establish terrain connections before activating their powers? "Ancestral Recall: you can activate this once-per-encounter ability when you have one land in play, of the Rivers and Oceans terrain type."

If you ever run a campaign based on the sequel movies to "Highlander", run it in 4e.

Remove ads