ZEITGEIST Spirit Medium theme feat in Pathfinder

Lylandra

Adventurer
Hey there,

we just finished one of our Zeitgeist sessions and we got a bit of discussion about the Spirit Medium theme feat in the process.

The original question was: If the feat lets you cast Speak with Dead as a spell-like ability, then how would that work mechanically when the original spell allows a will saving throw to resist?

Meaning, if the spell is on different spell lists with different corresponding spell levels (2 for the medium, 3 for the rest) and the feat suggests no corresponding casting attribute, then how would one determine the DC?

As, personally, I didn't think that a mechanical solution would be the best approach to this problem (even if CHA + 3rd level could seem appropriate albeit punishing for non-caster mediums), I decided to look up the 4e and 5e versions of the theme feats to get a bit insight into the possible author's intention behind the feat.

And not only do the 4e/5e feats simply allow you to speak with the spirit without a saving throw, the PG also suggests that the DM is encouraged to let the medium speak with longer dead spirits who have not yet passed on. Which is how our DM occasionally used the feat anyway (and which resulted in some very memorable exchanges!), but he felt like he was bending the rules quite much and both DM and my other player do have their rules-lawyery phases.

And boy, was I blown away when I saw that these feats actually progressed with character level. All of them feel so much more meaningful than their very basic PF version. (I mean... telepathy? How awesome is that?)

Which leads me to the question: Should the PF theme feats be revised? And, if yes, how should we do that? For our PCs, we'd only need the Spirit Medium and Vekeshi Mystic feats. We'd really be grateful for any suggestions.

regarding the spell Speak with Dead and PF: I guess I know why the spell allows a saving throw etc. in PF as many groups seem to avoid diplomacy or other social solutions to gather information and rather prefer to rip it from dead bodies (why ask when you can slay and cast a spell?). But I guess that Zeitgeist wasn'twritten with groups like these in mind.

I totally would make them better, but when we first did the PF conversion I'd barely played Pathfinder, and trusted the advice of Thurston. He, I assume, was looking for balance. As we got deeper into the campaign, we both got more comfortable with designing things to be cool in PF.

The PF monsters in the first few adventures are just PF monsters. Later on, though, we started making them feel more like 4e monsters, with a narrative to their attacks. Like, this is a spoiler but it's forever in the future and you'll never see it coming: there's eventually a monster that starts off in multiple pieces, and as you kill the bodies they start to merge together, like an inverse hydra. By that point, we felt comfortable being weird with the design.

Lylandra

Adventurer
Okay, thanks!
So I guess we'll just re-work them a bit. Regarding the Unfinished Business feature, I really like the 4e version or a more lenient DM's judgment approach.

We've already seen some of the more creative encounters and I'm all for creativity and cool things. For example, despite my criticism, I liked the pocket dimension weapon arsenal of a certain woman, but the standard PF rules for firearms (x4 crit) made her far too deadly on a crit.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing even more unfamiliar and fresh encounters in the upcoming adventures. The reverse-hydra sounds pretty interesting. And I also loved the weirder WotBS fights, like the Colossus or the several phases of Annihilation.

Remove ads