Looking for Advanced Role-Playing Content

Simon T. Vesper

First Post
Alexis Smolensk, at the Tao of D&D, recently wrote: "NO ONE else is creating the content I'm creating." I understand this reference in terms of the game rules he's posted online, the literally thousands of posts he's written about D&D specifically (and role-playing in general), his recent podcast (Authentic Role-Playing, where he interviews everyday DMs and GMs), and so on.

My question to this forum: is he correct? Is there gaming content out there that matches (or exceeds) the quality or clarity of his work?

For example, I've been going through D&D podcasts lately, looking for in-depth analyses of the game. I'm talking about people discussing rules, paradigms, gaming philosophy, strategies, tactics, game design, etc. All I'm finding is people playing a story-telling game, which holds no interest for me. Are there podcasts that touch on these topics? Or is the Tao of D&D alone in exploring the game at this level?

P.S. I understand the potential for this query to turn into a flame war. That's not my intent. I'm seeking honest feedback from members here.

EDIT 1: Fixed the URL links.

EDIT 2: I offer the following clarification for advanced: ahead or far or further along in progress, complexity, knowledge, skill, etc.

For example, the earliest versions of the game had encounter tables with 11 options, where the DM would roll 2d6 to determine the wandering monster. Each table had to be tailored by the DM to fit the dungeon or wilderness site. An advanced version might include dozens of options, where the DM would roll 1d100; or it might be a series of nested tables, where you'd roll to determine the encounter type, then the time of the encounter, then the specific monster/NPC; or it might be an Excel spreadsheet with hundreds of tables and a few macros, where you'd input a few data points for the encounter and randomly generate the rest. Per the definition, however, an advanced encounter table could be one that took into consideration such factors as time of day, the surrounding landscape, the presence of civilization (and the complexity of that civilization), the season or weather, and so on; the final product wouldn't have to be complex, but the thought process that went into it, would be.

Who are the creators of advanced role-playing content? What have they made and where can we find it? Have you used their products; how did it benefit your game?

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I’m not sure I understand the question. D&D is quite a light game; if you’re looking for something more tactical or complex, you might want to look to other game systems. Pathfinder, maybe?

Simon T. Vesper

First Post
I’m not sure I understand the question. D&D is quite a light game; if you’re looking for something more tactical or complex, you might want to look to other game systems. Pathfinder, maybe?

This version of the game is certainly not light; and although I'm not currently running a game, when I get back into it, I won't run a light game either ~ assuming, of course, that you're referring to the quantity, quality and complexity of the rules.

I suppose it's relevant, for this discussion, to note that I don't recognize any one version of the game as "the game." The game is whatever the DM says it is. So if a particular DM wants to run RAW 5E, that's her game. But if she wants advice about how to improve or better her game, where does she go? What resources are out there?

Simon T. Vesper

First Post
:( ?

I'm sorry, I'm not sure I understand the confusion.

A blogger claims he is creating role-playing content that doesn't exist elsewhere. I like his work and I'm looking for more ~ not necessarily the same, but something that can provide insight, that helps me to advance my game. For example, The Alexandrian has some good stuff on running better (or more advanced) games (though he doesn't necessarily use that language to describe his work ~ that's my interpretation).

I'm curious if anyone here can make recommendations for similar material.

TheSword

Legend
I find the writing a bit pompous to be honest and a bit self congratulatory. I also am not a fan of anyone who refers to themselves in the third person on their own blog. The Kanye of D&D.

There is no way I would shell out £16 for an ebook.

Arilyn

Hero
It's hard to give advice on what you would find appealing in a blog or podcast, since no one here is familiar enough with your tastes in gaming, other than a leaning toward old school?

There's tons of stuff out there. I think you just have to slog through it, looking for gems. Seems like you have found two to your taste already, so you are off to a very good start.

As far as advanced, non-light DnD? It's DnD. It's not deep, no matter how many rules you bolt onto ADnD, or how many fiddly bits you track, or how realistic your towns are.:)

Simon T. Vesper

First Post
I find the writing a bit pompous to be honest and a bit self congratulatory. I also am not a fan of anyone who refers to themselves in the third person on their own blog.

I get that. I mean, I find Matt Colville to be a bit wishy-washy and non-committal for my tastes, but I can get through enough of his videos to find the main idea. But if presentation and style are that important to you as an audience, then you can't really contribute to the conversation. No worries.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
:( ?

I'm sorry, I'm not sure I understand the confusion.

A blogger claims he is creating role-playing content that doesn't exist elsewhere. I like his work and I'm looking for more ~ not necessarily the same, but something that can provide insight, that helps me to advance my game. For example, The Alexandrian has some good stuff on running better (or more advanced) games (though he doesn't necessarily use that language to describe his work ~ that's my interpretation).

I'm curious if anyone here can make recommendations for similar material.

Could you summarise his special unique material? I’m happy to try to respond, but the homework burden is a little high. :)

What is the role playing material he is producing that nobody else is? It’s quite the claim!

Simon T. Vesper

First Post
Could you summarise his special unique material? I’m happy to try to respond, but the homework burden is a little high. :)

What is the role playing material he is producing that nobody else is? It’s quite the claim!

It is, which is why I'm asking.

I'm not sure a summary would really do it justice. Maybe an example? One of his recent posts is about building realistic towns for a fantasy world. There's an underlying assumption about the game, that the DM should make an effort to present a logical world. To do that, we should understand how towns in the real world developed.

I've found quite a few sites where authors share a lot of content, but very little that takes the game this seriously.

Remove ads