I have a very detailed world, but that's not why my game is popular...

Calithorne

Explorer
My game is popular because my players get to do awesome stuff, and I don't get in their way, I allow it to happen.

All too often, I see DMs on Facebook whining that their players are getting away with too much awesome stuff and asking for advice on how to put a stop to it.

If that's your attitude, that players need to be stopped from doing awesome stuff, then I'm sorry, you missed the whole point of being a DM.

S

Sunseeker

I've often found there's a fine line between "awesome stuff" and "stupid sheet". The problem becomes when being able to do awesome stuff becomes the expectation, and then the party starts doing the stupid and thinks it's awesome stuff, and wondering why they're not allowed to do whatever.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
The only time I have a problem is when the group disagrees on the difference between "awesome" and "stupid s**t".

If the group is treading towards over-the-top, gonzo, slapstick play style--and are having fun with it, then I'll roll with it.

Actually, I have less of a problem with it as a DM than as a player. OTT-gonzo-slap is not my favorite style of play, but I can enjoy it more as a DM than as a player. I like the challenge of working out solutions within limitations. As a DM I have a lot of power to respond to silliness and it can be a fun challenge to deal with the craziness. As a player, it is unfulfilling. Fun for maybe a session, but not what I want as a default.

Last edited:

5ekyu

Hero
One mans awesome is anothers abuse. The thing that matters is are the players, including gm, getting what they want out of the game.

TheSword

Legend
I only really mind when one player gets to do “awesome stuff” and the other players are reduced to spectators/sidekicks in the adventure.

I also abhor one-trick-ponies that repeat the same OP trick ad nauseum.

Other than that, I think it’s fair game for PCs to whatever they want.

Schmoe

Adventurer
As a player, I've found that I really don't like Gonzo, over-the-top actions that ignore the rules. Does that mean I don't like awesome things? I don't know, but I feel like there have been a lot of awesome things within the rules. I guess one man's awesome is another man's staid...

But how will your players ever know the joys of being thrown in the dungeon by a king for sass-mouthing an NPC, or of finding the perfect magic item that turns out to be horribly cursed, or of making their third character in as many sessions?

Joking aside, I think part of a DM’s job is to give PCs opportunities to be awesome. For my campaigns, I would change the wording to “my players get to try do awesome stuff.” Memorable moments can come from failure, too, and without risk, reward becomes meaningless.

Remove ads