Making Race Matter

EvilDwarf

Explorer
So, I've come to a friendly environment to raise a question that's been bugging me for a while, and now that I'm working up a new adventure to DM for our group, the question is at the fore of my mind.

Mainly, just what the subject line says: how do I make racial choices matter for my players and in the game?

First a bit about my group's tendency: we choose our character race based on stat boosts and whatever ability the race might grant. After that, race hardly matters at all. And, I'm trying to think of ways to make it matter. Now, if we sit at the table playing, there's no problem distinguishing the fighter from the cleric from the paladin from the wizard. But, you'd never be able to (aside from the occasional breath weapon LOL) tell what races were being played.

So here are some random observations that maybe you all could respond to:

Classes seem to get all the love, but what mechanics aside from a few racial feats that don't really "distinguish" characters IMO does race get in the game?

I can't make my characters role play. I can't force them to play the differences between an elf vs. a dwarf.

You could just say, Well, if that's the way your group plays, that's the way your group plays. But, then, there's no interesting discussion to be had. And I'm looking for creative, interesting input.

How do others handle the distinctions between race? Do you also just ignore it? Do you have some race mechanic at play? Does your group naturally role play the differences, and if so, how? How do you encourage it? Do you say, The Elf detects movement ahead in the forest, instead of, The Ranger notices a goblin peering from the rocks ahead?

I could go the route re: Star Wars and droids: We don't serve your kind in here--the droids will have to wait outside. Problem: that creates an animosity on the part of the characters toward the NPCs that doesn't really help the game (in Star Wars, Luke and Obi Want just went ahead--my party members are unlikely to overlook such a slight).

On a related note, I could have the townsfolk cross the street (as the PHB suggests), have children pelt the elf with rocks and stones, etc. But then I'm crossing the line between playing out a race and being racist, if you see what I mean. Isn't there a subtle but important distinction between making race matter vs. incorporating a racist element?

So, I ask a genuine question: what do you all do to make race matter in your games?

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
You could require one of the ASIs to be used for a racial feat from Xanathar’s. Or give a racial feat for free at some level.

But in practice I just don’t worry much about it.

Satyrn

First Post
My table isn't really much for roleplaying - in that portraying a personality sort of way - and yet I do know what race all my fellow PCs are. It's probably that way in part because the setting is ruled by dwarves and so the noble dwarf wizard gets some time in the spotlight as a noble dwarf when we need to impress the rabble. And the dragonborn, of course, breathes fire, but he also matches color with the big bad evil dragon.

What I'm saying is, maybe if the setting itself reflects the different party members in different ways, the races might stand out without the need to speak the gnome's lines with a squeaky voice.

. . . I miss my gnome battlemaster.

jgsugden

Legend
RPG. Role playing game. The characters have a role in the story... flesh out that role to include their origin.

Work in elements to the adventures that tie back to where their PCs originated. Perhaps a villain is a relative of the elf? Or the Halfing's birth village is built upon an ancient Tomb the PCs need to plunder? And when a heroic dwarf makes a fortune as an adventurer, could their be less heroic, but very greedy, relatives that come a knocking?

Tie the PC into the story. This doesn't need to focus on the character's race, but it certainly can. Many players can go decades before they get over the hump and move from treating D&D as a strategy game tied together loosley with a story to a story game with strategy games inside of it. It can be hard for them to open up ... but as a DM, you can make it easier by opening the door for them.

jgsugden

Legend
I would rather there be fewer mechanical differences between the races.
As long as the mechanical differences are balanced fairly well and support defining features of the races, I love 'em. I think 5E nailed most of tehm, although a few need a bit more oomph.

Remove ads