Planar Configurations; How Do You Design The Multiverse?

generic

On that metempsychosis tweak
Wow...
Caliban, that is amazing. I agree with Mouseferatu, this is a wonderful, wonderful cosmology, certainly better than many I've seen.

mrpopstar

Sparkly Dude
Most of my cosmologies are fairly boring and derivative. I prefer to keep the story focused on the material world, and I find most planar travel overrated.
Me too! Although, I am particularly enamored with the fey and have lured my players into their world more than once.

Bifold Model (1): Prime World and Spirit World. And done. Keep it safe and simple. It's the Avatar the Last Airbender model, and also the Dragon Age model. I use this model when I just want all "spirits" to be regarded as fae, angels, demons, devils, etc. Anything regarded "supernatural" has its primary roots here.

Trifold Model (2): Prime World with Faerie/Positive/Spirit World and Shadow/Negative/Underworld. A stripped down World Axis.
The simplicity of these models speaks to me.

:)

EDIT: In the trifold model, I like that you associated the fey with life. I also view the axis of life vs death in that way (the fairy between being life and the ghostly beyond being death). Divorcing the celestial above (good) and the infernal below (evil) from the life/death dichotomy offers a cool opposition to the feywild and shadowfell.

Last edited:

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
I designed a Yggdrassil (world-tree) campaign but gave up after I realized that the tree's roots would be in the Hells / Abyss … which would surely poison the tree and the planes would fall apart / away from each other as the tree died and decayed.

My (admittedly limited) understanding was that the roots were actually comprised of the realm of the dead, which makes sense; natural cycles of decay and decomposition would nourish the roots. If it were me, I would place the Abyss/Hells (if I were to include them at all) below the roots, a constant threat to the world-tree and thus all of existence, held at bay only by the armies of the dead. Would certainly give death and mortality in general a different feel than a typical world.

To elaborate on my previous post, I use the Ethereal Plane as the "spirit world".

Though there is one Ethereal Plane, most beings experience only its borders with other planes. Everything in existence has an animus inseperably linked to the Ethereal Plane and empowered by either the Positive or Negative Energy Planes, with a connection to the Positive Energy Plane being the default.

The seat of consciousness of a creature without a soul, such as most animals, lies in the animus. Upon death the unique animus becomes one with the Ethereal Plane, specifically where it borders the plane it died. In contrast, a creature with both an animus and a soul, like a human, has the soul as its seat of consciousness instead of the animus. Upon death the soul leaves to its destination while the animus lingers for a time before becoming one with the Ethereal.

Magic can cause a dissipated animus to temporarily reform, and some entities tied to a particular Ethereal border, like the nature spirits of the Material world, only exist when their animus is invoked to form.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Wow...
Caliban, that is amazing. I agree with Mouseferatu, this is a wonderful, wonderful cosmology, certainly better than many I've seen.

Thank you. I can't claim all the credit, it's basically an amalgam of many things I've been influenced by over the years. I just tried to create a coherent framework for them.

A few of the influences I can remember:

The Primal Order

Roger Zelazny's the Chronicles of Amber

The Great Wheel cosmology from 1e and 2e.

The concept of demons "corrupting" the environment around them.

The desire to have a more detailed explanation for demons and devils to covet mortal souls

I was inspired by both Caliban's awesomely detailed cosmology and further reading into various New Age spiritual beliefs to revise my own cosmological model.

The Sphere of Foundational Planes - These border each other, as well as every other plane.
The Plane of Undying Light - The source of light and radiant energy, but also the home of the Elder Evil known as Ragnorra.
The Plane of Endless Night - The source of darkness and necrotic energy, and also the home of the Elder Evil known as Atropus.
The Plane of Patient Spirits - The ethereal plane where radiant and necrotic energy compete to fill each animus with vitality.

The Sphere of Planes Above
The Soul Font - A stable portal to the Plane of Undying Light, it is the source of the radiant energy souls are formed from. It is like a sun to the Heavens.
The Heavens - The destinations of souls chosen by those gods dwelling here. Mortals who attempt to enter the Heavens without authorization will arrive in whichever Heaven they are destined for, with those not destined for a Heaven instead falling to Limbo. Gods reign supreme in this plane.
The Astral Deep - The realm of coherent thought not focused on the divine. It is said that portals to the mindscapes of most conscious beings in the multiverse (other than the gods, of course) are located here, but there is no known way to reliably reach them. Ascended masters of psionic magic are the powers that be here.
Limbo - The realm of incoherent thought and purest chaos, those stricken by madness are said to have their mindscapes linked to this plane rather than the Astral Deep. The chaotic energies shorn from the Elemental Planes by the Prime Architect were concentrated here. The slaad lord Ygorl, theirself the dimished shade of Ssendam, lurks within Limbo as its greatest power.

The Sphere of Material Planes
The Sun - An unusual stable portal to both the Plane of Undying Light and the Sea of Fire. No being has ever been known to use this portal (or, at least, to try to without being destroyed). A pure portal to the Undying Light was once located here, from which radiant energy flowed equally to the ancient Astral Sea and the primeval Elemental Chaos. During the Dawn War the gods were able to redirect much of the radiant energy to their own realm, empowering them and weakening the deprived primordials.
The Moon - Formed from the elemental earth of the Pillars of Creation and placed to to fulfill a special purpose of watching over the Sphere of Material Planes. The Moon simultaneously exists in the Feywild, the World, and the Shadowfell, though which plane it is most strongly connected to varies. A full moon represents a connection with the Feywild, waxing and waning reveals a primary connection to the world, and a new moon represents a connection to the Shadowfell. The full moon is ruled by the archfey known as the Maiden of the Moon, while the new moon is the domain of a coven of powerful night hags.
The Feywild - An echo of the World closer to the Undying Light. The unauthorized apotheosis of the nymph queen Titania to godhood in the Heavens also made this plane closer to Limbo.
The World - The axis of the multiverse. It also has an unusually strong connection to the Ethereal Plane; entities such as the godlike nature spirits called the Great Elders sometimes manifest in the Ethereal border of the World.
The Shadowfell - An echo of the World closer to the Endless Night. The imperfect apotheosis of the Raven Queen also made this plane closer to the Nine Hells.

The Sphere of Elemental Planes
The Elemental Chaos - An unusual plane that once had far more influence in the multiverse before the end of the Dawn War. It is linked to not only the other Elemental Planes, but also to Limbo and the Underdark. Some primordials are still imprisoned here, but genies and elder elementals now have the most authority.
The Sea of Worlds - The Plane of Water. Controlled by the evil archomental Olhydra, yielded by the good archomental Ben Hadar for reasons unknown. The Frostfell, a realm of elemental ice ruled by the archomental Cryonax, is contained within.
The Labyrinth Winds - The Plane of Air. Controlled by the good archomental Chan, contested by the evil archomentals Yan-C-Bin and Alu Kahn Sang. A realm of thunder and lightning controlled by the free primordial Ty-h'kadi is contained within
The Sea of Fire - The Plane of Fire. Controlled by the evil archomental Imix, contested by the good archomental Zaaman Rul. A realm of smoke and ash ruled by the archomental Ehkahk is contained within.
The Pillars of Creation - The Plane of Earth. Controlled by the good archomentals Sunnis and Emtemoch, contested by the evil archomental Ogremoch. This plane features the most archomentals, including Bwimb II, Chilimbia, Uzrith, and Crystalle.

The Sphere of Planes Below
The Underdark - An unusual plane connected to the deepest reaches of the World, the Feywild, and the Shadowfell. It is also affected by the cosmic influence of the Pillars of Creation, the Elemental Chaos, the Nine Hells, and the Abyss. The god Torog dwells here, though his son Uguendenk has also been known to intrude.
The Nine Hells - Once merely a barrier between the Abyss and the rest of the cosmos, the archangel Ashmodai abandoned his post here, returned to his Heaven and slew the god he was sworn to dutifully serve in a bid to achieve godhood himself. The act transformed Ashmodai into the god of the archdevils and caused the former Heaven to fall here, the Nine Hells, trapping rebellious angels within it to become devils. Ashmodai rules the Hells alongside subordinate archdevils.
The Abyss - At the end of the Dawn War a number of primordials fled to a remote region of the Elemental Chaos. The followers of the gods stood watch in case these primordials would surface again, unaware that the godlike elementals' instense desperation to unmake the world would transform them into the first demon lords. Within the Abyss the elements are corrupted by the necrotic influence of the Void; fire gives way to cinders, water to acid, air to miasma, earth to dust, and pure chaos to the Void itself. Because of this a number of archomentals and primordials are also present alongside the demon lords, though they do not control layers of the Abyss.
The Void - A stable portal to the Plane of Endless Night that lies just beyond the bottom of the Abyss. A few entities of evil lurk here, somehow avoiding complete annihilation. These include the primordials Entropy and Iktha Lau, the god Zehir, and the archomental Sun Sing.

Last edited:

gyor

Legend
I did mine somewhat backward for the current campaign. I had an idea for how a multiverse could be set up and worked backwards from there until I got to the planet/plane the campaign takes place on. Most of it will probably never come up for the players, but I had fun working it out:

Cosmology of the Multiverse

This explanation for the structure of the local multiverse is the one most favored by the various druidic sects. Clerics tend to prefer a more deity-centric version, while Warlocks tend to favor a version that places their patron at the top of the celestial pecking order. Wizards as a whole do not favor any specific model of the universe, instead various wizardly organizations and individual sages create highly detailed models that reflect their individual views on how the multiverse functions. The only thing that all the models created by wizards have in common is that they all place arcane magic as the predominant force in the universe.

The druids use a “top down” model of the multiverse, with the Source at the top and the Terminus at the bottom. All of creation lies between them, created by the interplay of energies between the two.

The Source

Also known as the “Wellspring of Creation” this is the source of all magic, all life, and indeed all of creation. It continually radiates the energy of creation that set the universe in motion. No creature, not even a deity, can survive the overwhelming Primal energies that radiate from the Source. They must first be filtered through several planes of reality (planes mostly composed of pure energy) before they can be safely absorbed by a god, and the gods can then convert the Primal energies into Divine magic and imbue their mortal followers with a fraction of that magic in return for their worship. (Worship allows a god to increase their capacity for storing and using Primal energy, which in turn increases their power.)

The Terminus

The counterpart of the Source, it is the Final Destination, the Sphere of Ultimate Annihilation, the End of All Things. Everything the Source creates, the Terminus devours. It is the tension between the two that caused the infinite planes of reality to come into being. Without the constant Entropic energies from the Terminus the Primal energies emitted by the Source would never break down into the mundane matter and various forms of elemental energy that make up the all of existence. Magic itself is a byproduct of the decay of Primal energy.

The Great Cycle

New planes of reality are continuously created as the Primal energies released by the Source decay. While they may seem eternal to a mortal, even the various planes of existence go through a cycle of birth, growth, maturity, decay, and eventual destruction as the entire plane falls into the Terminus and is consumed. It may take millions of years, but it is the eventual fate of every plane of existence.

The Interstitial Planes

These are the planes that make up the spaces between other planes. Generally you must travel through one of them in order to get to another plane, although powerful spells and permanent gates can make it a very short journey.

The Astral Plane

Connects the High Heavens to the Mortal Realms, and the Mortal Realms to the Lower Realms. It can be reached via Astral Projection and Dreamwalking, it is also the plane that Teleportation type spells send you through (very briefly) before reaching your destination.

Physical travel to the Astral Plane itself is difficult, and even then the plane seems to reject physical matter. Travelers report being pulled towards the nearest Color Pool (a one way gate to a Mortal Realm) with increasing force and speed the longer they stay there. If they do reach their chosen destination quickly they will find themselves ejected into a random Mortal Realm.

Despite this, rumors persist of a race of mortals that make their home in the Astral Plane - the legendary Githyanki warriors with their Silver Greatswords, the greatest of whom ride red dragons into battle.

The Ethereal Plane

Connects all the Inner Planes to each other, and the Inner Planes to the rest of the Mortal Realms. While it is possible to use the Astral Plane to travel directly to the Inner Planes, it is much faster to use the Ethereal Plane instead. (i.e. From the High Heavens you would take the Astral Plane, exit into a Mortal Realm, then access the Ethereal Plane from that Mortal Realm and use the Ethereal Plane to reach the Plane of Elemental Fire. Trying to go directly to the Plane of Elemental Fire via the Astral Plane would take weeks or months longer.) Why this is so is a poorly understood aspect of planar mechanics.

The Shadowrealm

Connects all the Mortal Realms to each other, but does not allow access to the Celestial Realms or Inner Planes. May allow access to the upper layers of the Lower Realms, but rarely on purpose. Accessed through shadows and dark places, naturally. Generally requires magic to open a portal, but there are naturally occurring portals as well. They are usually formed on moonless nights and stumbled into by lost mortals.

The Shadowrealm has shadowy copies of structures in the Mortal Realm and is inhabited by various creatures of shadow and darkness.

The Plane of Mirrors

Similar to the Shadowrealm, it connects the various Mortal Realms to each other. It also connects to a few mirror-themed Inner Planes of Order, and to a few powerful magic mirrors in the High Heavens and Lower Realms. It is accessed via specially enchanted mirrors or hard to find rituals, making it much harder to reach than the Shadowrealm. While it has far fewer inhabitants than the Shadowrealm, travel is not without its risks. Mirror doppelgangers have a chance to appear and try to murder their Mortal counterparts.

The Celestial Realms

The planes closest to the Source where the various deities make their home. Only gods and beings protected by deity level magic can survive here, as the intense Primal energies overwhelm any lesser being, causing them to burn up from the inside. As new planes are created near the Source, eventually the older planes are pushed “down” and are no longer filled with raw Primal energy. When that happens the gods simply move their homes to one of the relatively young planes that are now closer to the Source.

The High Heavens

The planes that were formerly the homes of the gods themselves, these now serve as the Afterlife for all the gods faithful. While not constantly exposed to raw Primal energy, these planes still have a high level primal energy. Mortal beings cannot survive more than a few days or weeks here. Instead, when a mortal being dies the bit of Primal energy that makes up their soul is called to the High Heavens by their god, and the faithful soul is transformed into a celestial being. Most of the faithful souls are content to live out their afterlife in relative peace and happiness as they serve their respective deities.

Eventually these planes of the High Heavens are also pushed farther and farther away from the Source as new planes are created. Most of the faithful souls follow their gods during the celestial migrations to new planes nearer the source, but some choose to end their immortal afterlife and become mortals again as the plane they are on descends into the mortal realms. These brave souls become the seeds of new nations and races at the dawn of an age of legendary heroes in the new mortal realm they now inhabit.

The Mortal Realms

The vast majority of the planes of existence are categorized as “Mortal Realms”. Eventually a plane in the High Heavens is pushed far enough from the Source that Celestial beings cannot live there. Celestial beings and deific Avatars may visit the Mortal Realms when summoned or sent on a mission, but they cannot stay indefinitely or their Primal energies will fade and they will become mortal. Some choose this fate on purpose, giving up immortality in order to stay with a mortal lover, or because they have grown tired of the political maneuverings in the Celestial Realms. Similarly, mortal beings can visit the High Heavens, but cannot stay there or they will eventually be killed by exposure to the Primal energies that permeate them.

The Inner Planes or the Elemental Planes
While technically part of the Mortal Realms, the Inner Planes do not have the relatively equal mix of elemental forces that make up the rest of the Mortal Realms. Instead they are heavily biased towards one elemental force or another. There is no one single plane of each type, but instead a multitude of planes that share a similar elemental bias and more easily form dimensional gateways to each other via the Ethereal Plane. Thus there are many different Planes of Fire, or Planes of Chaos.

They are referred to as “Inner Planes” because (rightly or wrongly) they are seen as making up the “core” of the Multiverse of Mortal Realms, and that core is surrounded by the rest of the Mortal Realms. The Ethereal Plane is seen as the plane that connects all the Inner Planes together, and in turn connects them to the rest of the Mortal Realms.

Examples of Elemental Planes
-Earth
-Fire
-Water
-Air
-Light
-Dark
-Order
-Chaos
-Many others

The Far Realms

The Far Realms are left over from a previous cycle of the multiverse. The Primal energies of the Source are harmful to their inhabitants. For the most part the alien deities who reside in these realms are content to slumber, waiting for the next age of the multiverse where they might find conditions more to their liking.

Occasionally sentients from the mortal realms unwittingly make contact with lesser beings from the far realms while dreaming (or tripping on powerful drugs or magic). This tends to drive them a bit insane and they usually become obsessed with finding ways of waking the alien gods early. This rarely works out well for anyone involved.

The Lower Realms

This far from the Source, the Entropic energies of the Terminus begin to dominate. These planes have begun their slow decline into oblivion. Resources are scarce, magic is harder to access, and the sun and stars have begun to fade, if they ever existed in that particular plane of reality. The ambient Entropic energy of the Lower Realms causes non-magical items from the Mortal Realms to weaken and decay far more rapidly than is natural. This effect becomes more powerful the closer you come to the Terminus.

Home of the lesser Fiends, and the fiendish animals and plants that have managed to adapt to the harsh realm their world has become.

The creatures of the Lower Realms, the Hells, and the Infinite Planes of the Abyss have adapted to the energies of the Terminus, making their flesh tougher and more resilient to normal weapons, with many being resistant to magic as well. However, this comes with a price. The natives of the Lower Realms cannot live easily in the Mortal Realms because of the Entropic energies that permeate their flesh. The lack of ambient Entropic energy in the Mortal Realms causes the Fiends to bleed out Entropic energy into the environment, sickening them and tainting the local area with their Infernal essence. This usually manifests first as a sulphur and brimstone stench, but can lead to many other effects depending on the power of the Fiend and the amount of time they spend in the Mortal Realms.

If they stay for more than a short time they will try to make themselves more comfortable by making their lair more like the environment of the lower planes. They increase the local Entropy levels by various methods - driving mortals mad and keeping them as pets, surrounding themselves with undead (a side effect of necromantic magic and undead in general is that they constantly “leak” Entropic energy), etc.

Natives of the lower realms traffic in souls due to the lack of magical resources (indeed resources of any kind) this close to the Terminus. The soul of every living being contains a spark of Primal energy. Various techniques can be used to induce the Primal spark to release a fraction of it’s energy and once filtered through a mortal soul they can use the energy to sustain themselves, extend their lives, power their magic, etc. Their entire society runs on energy harvested from souls. The souls can also be used to strengthen materials so that they can better resist the Entropic energies that infuse the Lower Realms. Items infused with soul energy (i.e. Primal energy) in this way are referred to as “Soulforged” or “Hellforged”.

Souls native to the Lower Realms have the least value (i.e. produce the least energy) and souls native to the Celestial Realms have the most (but are also the most difficult to acquire and harvest). Mortal Realm souls are the base unit of currency, with the souls of animals and unwilling sacrifices being the least valuable. Souls gained via a bargain are sought after because a living soul gives up much more energy before becoming useless. The most highly sought after of all are those living souls who willing make a pact with a creature of the lower planes in return for power. This gives the pact giver a link to the mortal realms, and energy continuously flows down that link to the pact giver, giving them a renewable source of energy, one that produces greater and greater amounts as their warlock grows in power. (The abilities that the warlock gains represent only a minor drain on the energy that the pact giver gains from the pact.)

The Courts of Hell

Below the Lower Realms are the Hells. The most famous are the 9 Hells ruled by the Arch-Devil Asmodeus, but there are many others ruled by various other devils and fiends.

The Infinite Planes of the Abyss

The layers closest to the Terminus that can still sustain life, they are almost exclusively inhabited by Demons.

The Demons constantly war with the Devils for land and resources. While the demons have more actual territory in terms of the number of planes they inhabit or control, these planes are all very resource poor. The devils have far fewer planes, but they have many more resources compared to the Planes of the Abyss. Similarly, the Demonic Hordes vastly outnumber the Legions of Hell, but the Legions are better trained and equipped. Plus the devils are much more disciplined and devious than the demons, and constantly outmaneuver the Hordes so that they can rarely bring their full might to bear.

That is outatanding and awesome, very well thought out.

In my personal cosmology it is believed that committing "Good" acts causes the Multiverse to drift closer to the Undying Light (Positive Energy Plane), and "Evil" acts cause it to drift closer to the Endless Night (Negative Energy Plane). "Good" and "Evil" are abstractions of the forces of Radiant and Necrotic Energy.

Good is concerned with protecting life and promoting the desire to live. Evil does not value life and promotes the desire to bring life to an end.

The devils' goal, the reason they need souls, is to collect the Radiant Energy contained within them while also committing acts that bring the Multiverse's inhabitants closer to annihilation by the Negative Energy Plane. The devils can then use the collected Radiant Energy to protect themselves and transform the Hells into a paradise while everything they oppose is destroyed, leaving them free to reshape what's left of the Multiverse to their own ends. The forces of "Good" have a similar goal, except that they want to use the Positive Energy Plane's influence instead and rely on a divine fortress composed of belief to protect them.

I feel this gives philosophies of intentional Neutrality more of a reason to exist. "Good" and "Evil" forces believe in an inevitable apocalypse that they want to be on the right side of, whereas Neutrality wants to try and maintain the status quo.

There are also those who believe that an apocalypse is inevitable, but that there will be no winner in the war between Good and Evil, only mutual destruction. In one view, the Planes Above will taken into the Undying Light, the Planes Below will be absorbed by the Endless Night, and the Planes Between (including the Material Plane) will fall into the Far Realm. Another view holds that the forces of Chaos will be led by Ygorl, Lord of Entropy, to rise again after their ancient defeat and reduce the whole of the Multiverse into unrealizable potentiality, keeping it safe, in a fashion, from the Planes Beyond.

Last edited:

Remove ads