Cubicle 7 forums to close due to EU data law

Enkhidu

Explorer
It would be fiercely annoying if you actually had to log in before making a post in order to approve making that post. One thing that seems odd is that facebook and twitter I would think have the same issue as individual forums. What about advertisers and browsers?

Opt-in can be (and usually is) a one-time event.

And if you look at the new terms of service for the big platforms, they updated them recently.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
A long time ago I recall some guy left EnWorld and demanded that Morrus remove all his posts. Which was a laughable demand of course - he had hundreds and hundreds of them and each needed to be remove by hand. He started to do it himself (or maybe he completed that).

Strangely, I think under this new law if a user demanded that all their posts be removed...they would in fact have that right under this law, and the owner of the site would have to comply or face a regulatory violate.

Which is silly. But my admittedly brief read of the legal summaries I am seeing on this law would lead to that conclusion.

I am still wondering why they used the excuse of this new data law in the EU. They could have just done like WotC did and simply said they did not have the time/manpower/desire/whatever to maintain their forums. I also wonder if the impending crush of new users/data/etc that would have hit if they had added official WFRP forums, as they were asked for by many, would have done to their ability to maintain and moderate their forums. I would not be surprised if the number of people who would have signed up just for that would have equaled of exceeded the current number of registered users.

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
I do not know about vbulletin, phpbb however, it's only a few clicks to remove all of someone's posts, I would be surprised if vb couldn't do that. I think the big hits for collecting user data will be google and facebook.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I ensured we were OK for GDPR months ago. For a message board like this, it's not a very onerous task. We collect almost zero user data here (username, email, IP, basically) and it isn't shared anywhere. And yep, the functionality to delete an account is present if it becomes needed. We're good.

If anybody from C7's forums comes over here, they're very welcome, of course. Heck, if there was a demand for it, I'd create an emergency subform for them like I did for WotC.

Last edited:

Enkhidu

Explorer
I ensured we were OK for GDPR months ago. For a message board like this, it's not a very onerous task...

I figured - just couldn't remember getting another notification (which, perversely, seems to be required even for people who've opted in before).

How did you deal with the data portability requirements? Does vBulletin allow for exports/dumps? I'm keen to understand how others are dealing with the same hurdles.

Enkhidu

Explorer
In an aside, NPR.com decided to give visitors an option to visit a no-frills site like looks like it's from the days of the early web.

Here's the choice. And here's what you see when you choose text only.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
It really annoys me when a website with a 'stay logged in' feature decides that everybody needs to log in all over again from scratch. Especially if it has been years since I've needed to keep track of where I stored my password and now I can't find it again.

tomBitonti

Adventurer
(Any lawyers out there who could summarize the major provisions of the GDPR? I've taken a short course in what the GDPR means, but I'm not a lawyer and don't think I could adequately summarize what is in the law. There a probably lots of folks here who have only just heard about the law, or who have not learned about it in detail, who would well receive such a summary.)

Wouldn't user posts be of a different category than user personal information? GDPR is about collecting personal data. (I thought that posts were more like "letters to the editor" as far as how they are handled legally.)

I don't think a one time "opt-in" works. Before personal information can be collected, the user must be supplied with certain information, including a precise statement of what data is being collected and how it will be used. Any change to that requires a new opt in.

One thing about GDPR is that it is viral: If you (as a company holding personal data) are requested to remove data, you must pass along that request to other companies to whom the data was given.

I was just reading that countries outside of the EU may take up GDPR, or substantial subsets thereof, as their data policy. A collision between policies as reflected in the GDPR and US policies seems inevitable ...

Thx!
TomB

Remove ads