D&D 5E Spectral weapon and similar - who is the attacker

Some skills refer to an attacker. For example Uncanny Dodge says it applies when you can see the attacker. This makes me wonder who the attacker is in case of some spells like Spiritual Weapon. Let's say the spellcaster is unseen but the spectral weapon is right next to the rogue, can he apply Uncanny Dodge or not?

I would say no, the spectral weapon is not a creature, it can't be attacked, it can't hide, so the rogue would need to see the spellcaster instead. What is your take on this?

5ekyu

Hero
Some skills refer to an attacker. For example Uncanny Dodge says it applies when you can see the attacker. This makes me wonder who the attacker is in case of some spells like Spiritual Weapon. Let's say the spellcaster is unseen but the spectral weapon is right next to the rogue, can he apply Uncanny Dodge or not?

I would say no, the spectral weapon is not a creature, it can't be attacked, it can't hide, so the rogue would need to see the spellcaster instead. What is your take on this?

i believe for uncanny dodge and many reaction type things the intent is to require you to see the attack coming, not some guy hiding behind a fence.

There may be exceptions, but as a rule unless there was an obvious intent to focus on the attacker - like say hellish Rebuke sends damage at the one who caused damage - i would say Uncanny Dodge type things require you to see the attack - even if that is just the spiritual weapon.

But i do not think its as easy as a single universal case.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
The spell says the caster makes the attack. So by the book that’s who you have to see.

CM

Adventurer
"Rulings Over Rules" in this case. The spell effect is the attacker.

Here's another one: Does it make sense for someone with greater invisibility to get advantage on their spiritual weapon's attacks? I say no. Invisibility specifically excludes things the target isn't wearing or carrying, so the spiritual weapon is still visible.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
"Rulings Over Rules" in this case. The spell effect is the attacker
I’ve no argument with that, here or anywhere. But I think that if there is in fact a rule, it is worth noting before deciding on a ruling.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
The spell says the caster makes the attack. So by the book that’s who you have to see.

I agree with this. Both when you cast, and when you use a bonus action to attack with it, the spell clearly says that "you" make an attack.

This is further pushed that it a melee spell attack. It's using your spellcasting ability, not some score for a conjured weapon, and it's attacking as a spell not as a weapon.

All of that said, at my table I'd let my players respond if they can see either. But that would be my ruling, not how the rules read.

Harzel

Adventurer
I agree that RAW, "attacker" cannot be construed to mean something like a spiritual weapon. However, in the two examples cited so far (evasion and unseen attacker), I would generally rule that it is the visibility of the thing that is going to hit you that is the determining factor. A visible opponent wielding an invisible melee weapon is an interesting corner case to consider, though. Perhaps I'd ask for a Perception check.

Another odd case is an automated mechanism making an attack, such as an arrow trap. You could evade (haha) the issue by using a saving throw instead of an attack roll, but if you do go with an attack roll, is the "attacker" visible?

I agree with this. Both when you cast, and when you use a bonus action to attack with it, the spell clearly says that "you" make an attack.

This is further pushed that it a melee spell attack. It's using your spellcasting ability, not some score for a conjured weapon, and it's attacking as a spell not as a weapon.

All of that said, at my table I'd let my players respond if they can see either. But that would be my ruling, not how the rules read.

By that interpretation, the spiritual weapon is an extension of the caster. So I would argue that if the target can see the spiritual weapon, they can see the attacker - i.e. the caster. So even if the caster is hidden or invisible they can be targeted. Hellish Rebuke bounces from the spiritual weapon to the attacker i.e. the caster.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
By that interpretation, the spiritual weapon is an extension of the caster. So I would argue that if the target can see the spiritual weapon, they can see the attacker - i.e. the caster. So even if the caster is hidden or invisible they can be targeted. Hellish Rebuke bounces from the spiritual weapon to the attacker i.e. the caster.

No, the spell also specifically describes that it creates a weapon. the weapon is created by the spell, not part of the caster. It just needs the caster to direct each attack.

Remove ads