New Undead: Spirit Drinker

Magus Darkholme

First Post
Well, It still needs alittle fine-tuning, and I figure that you all might help me with that. I'm thinking that the CR may be a little off among other things, but anywho here she is!:D

SPIRIT DRINKER
Huge undead
Hit dice: 10D12(65hp)
Initiative: +5(dex)
Speed: 40ft
AC: 21 (-2size, +5dex, +8natural)
Attacks: 2 claws+15 melee, bite+10 melee; tentacle+10 ranged
Damage: claw-1D8+10, bite -2D6+5, tentacle-soul drain
Face/reach: 10ft by 10ft/15ft
Special attacks: soul drain, spell-like abilities
Special qualities: ethereal jaunt, undead qualities
Saves: fort-3 ref-8 will-9
Abilities: str-30 dex-20 con-0 int-11 wis-15 cha-16
Skills: intimidate-7, jump-8, climb-10
Feats: alertness, combat reflexes, power attack
Climate/terrain: any land or underground
Organization: solitary
Challenge rating: 10
Treasure: none
Alignment: neutral evil
Advancement: 11+ HD (huge)

A spirit drinker is a twisted evil creature that devours the souls of the living. It manifests itself on the site of a bloody battle, which has some speculate that it is the remains of the angry souls of those that died there.
Whatever it is, a spirit drinker is a horror beyond imagination. It looks like a giant ball comprised of twisted, whispy shadows. It has one large, red glowing eye centered on what you might call its forehead, and a huge maw which stretches from one side of the creature to the other. It has two legs that come out of it's backside that curve in the shape of a "7". The feet are reptillian and have three forked toes, much like that of a dinosaur, which are exelent for sprinting. Right under its mouth, there are two medium-sized arms that sprout outward. On each arm there is a four fingered hand, with three foot claws elongating from the fingers. And perhaps the most deadly thing about this monster is the seemingly endless tongue-like tentacle that it can shoot out of its mouth and grasp its victims. Once it gets hold with its "tongue", it immediately begins to drain the victim's soul. Once manifested, it is not confined to the battle field site like some would believe, and it can roam the land wherever it sees fit. A spirit drinker is a very cunning and dangerous advisary who should never be taken lightly.
Spirit Drinkers speak no language and all attempts at communication have met with death.

COMBAT
A spirit drinker likes to surprise its victim by becoming ethereal and appearing out of nowhere. Once it appears it will attack the strongest creature with its tentacle in a attempt to drain its soul. While it has the creature wraped up in its tentacle, it will attack the others with its claws and spell-like abilities. (Note: A spirit drinker who attacks and hits with it's tentacle cannot attack with it's bite.)

Undead qualities: Immune to mind-influencing effects, poison, sleep, paralysis, stunning and disease. Not subject to critical hits, subdual damage, ability damage, energy drain, or death from massive damage.

Ethereal jaunt: A spirit drinker can shift from the ethereal to the prime material plane as a free action, and shift back as a move-equivalent action (or as part of a move equivalent action). The ability is otherwise identical with ethereal jaunt cast by a 10th level sorcerer.

Soul drain: A spirit drinker that hits with its tentacle attack (range 30ft), automatically attempts to grab the opponent's body and drain the soul (this does not provoke an AoO). The spirit drinker and the opponent then make apposed grapple checks. If the spirit drinker wins the grapple check, it starts to drain the opponent's soul. A creature that is having its soul drained automatically takes 1D6 points of temporary constitution drain. Once the victims constitution score drops down to zero, the victim's body shrivels up and turns into ash in 1D4 rounds. A victim can attempt a new grapple check once every round until it breaks free or dies. The victim can also be set free if an he or an ally causes enough damage to seperate the tentacle from the spirit drinker (must use a slashing weapon; tentacle-40hp, AC-18). A spirit drinker who has it's tentacle cut will regenerate it 1d10 rounds.
When a spirit drinker devours 20 souls it gains a extra hit dice. When a spirit drinker eats a soul there is a 50% chance that the soul's imprint will be visible on the body of the creature. The imprint is a more "spectral" form of the way the victim looked in life. A spirit drinker can have as many as 30 imprints at once, and when a new imprint forms, an old one dissapears. When a spirit drinker is destroyed, those who's souls were imprinted on the monster may be brought back to life by a true resserection, wish or miracle spell.

Spell-like abilities:
At will- hold portal, detect secret doors, color spray, spider climb, magic missle.
3/day- darkness, melf's acid arrow, misdirection, flame arrow, fear.
1/day- hold person, stinking cloud, knock, solid fog.

These spells are as the spells cast by a sorcerer of 10th level. (save 13+spell level).

Last edited:

Devon

First Post
Hey,

It sounds like a nasty critter... visually, it seems pretty frightful.

My comments are mostly nitpicky numerical things at the moment:

Attacks: 2 claws+12 melee, bite+12 melee; tentacle+8 ranged

These to hit bonuses are slightly off... the primary attack should be +15 (1/2 HD for undead = 5, +10 for a 30 Str), and without any multiattack feat, its secondary melee attack (it's bite, in this case) is at a -5, so it should be +10. You can switch them around if you want to to make the bite primary and the claws secondary.

Since it causes a drain, the tentacle attack might qualify to be a ranged touch attack as opposed to a simple ranged attack. It's not trying to get through armor, just getting to the person's soul. That is your option, though. Either way, the tentacle attack, being a primary attack (if it's not going to claw and bite at the same time), would be +5 for hit dice, +5 for Dex, for a total of +10 ranged.

Saves: fort-5 ref-5 will-12
Abilities: str-30 dex-20 con-0 int-11 wis-15 cha-16

As a 10-HD undead, it's base saves should be +3/+3/+7, with no Con modifier, +5 Dex modifier, and a +2 Wis modifier, they should be Fort +3, Refl +8, and Will +9.

Hit dice: 10D12(60hp)

Its base hp should be 6.5 per d12 (5.5 for d10s, 2.5 for d4s, etc.), making it 65 hp.

That's all for now. I think this is a pretty nice spectral baddie.

- Devon

Magus Darkholme

First Post
Devon said:
Hey,

It sounds like a nasty critter... visually, it seems pretty frightful.

My comments are mostly nitpicky numerical things at the moment:

- Devon

Yea, I kinda figured I was off on some of the things. I used to have the copy of Dragon that had the section about how to create your own monster (I believe it was by Monte Cook), but God knows where the hell that went. :mad:
Like I said though, I thought I was a little off on some of the things, so I figured this is the best place to post it up and get some help (which I appreciate ;) ).
And Krishnath, I'm glad you like it, and now that I think about it, it isn't really the prettiest rose on the bush is it. :D

Oh yea, would any of you happen to know where one might find that monster creation template online?

Remove ads