Troublesome Terminology: Game Terms vs. Real-World Terms

AFGNCAAP

First Post
Hello,

The post discussing the naming of flails/morningstars has got me thinking. I know that I've had, on occasion, difficulty with how D&D uses particular terms vs. how they are actually used in real life. I've also had past experiences with players where terminolgy became an issue. I was wondering if anyone else has had issues with the way D&D defines certain words/terms in-game vs. how they are used in real life. A common problem area is weapons, but I think there are some other gray areas that create issues.

For example, I've heard "morningstar" be used to refer to both flails & spiked maces/clubs (specifically long-spiked varieties, not the small "stud"-spiked kind). However, there are other gray areas:

* The term "longsword," IIRC, actually refers to swords that are more like bastard swords or greatswords, though in D&D, "longsword" currently refers to the standard, 1-handed variety of straight-bladed sword (such as broadswords).

* For you AD&D players out there: "broadsword," IIRC, is a newer term, brought about when smallswords & rapiers gained promincence (since it had a broader blade than a rapier or smallsword)--the basket-hilted claymore is a type of broadsword. In AD&D, both "broadsword" and "longsword" pretty much covered one-handed slashing swords, though the former was probably wider but shorter than a longsword, and the latter was longer but thinner than a broadsword.

* "Falchions," IRL, are one-handed hacking/chopping weapons (for the most part, though a few two-handers do exist)--they're more like a kind of machete, in some cases, as opposed to the slashing-style curved blade of a scimitar or saber. However, 3.X D&D treats "falchions" as large scimitars, still used as a slashing weapon instead of a hacking weapon.

* AD&D vs. 3.X D&D: In AD&D, warhammers were depicted correctly, for the most part--smaller-headed weapons (more akin to a claw hammer than a mallet), frequently topped &/or backed with a spike. However, the 3.X D&D "warhammer" is now more of a weapon more akin to the one-handed mallet of the Mighty Thor.

Those are just a few examples, but it brings to light an issue that I feel is critical to understanding D&D (or most RPGs, for that matter): An RPG creates & uses its own unique terminology that, when used in game, refers to specific mechanics/components of the game only. Thus, a "morningstar" is a spiked club/mace only, & not any variety of flail/ball & chain weapon. A "chain shirt" is made of chain mail, but it is not "chain mail," which refers to a complete suit of the stuff.

Has anyone else had/experienced any of these problems/issues? Just curious to hear what y'all have to say.

LGodamus

First Post
one thing to remember , the way you are using the terms as " real life " are definately not set in stone. There is no general always correct word for each type of sword..or hardly any other weapon. Throughout history they did not stick to one naming convention or even a few tight groupings....nomenclature was haphazard at best. D&D just picks something close and runs with it, because its simple easy and the name will apply across the board. Its best just to divorce game terms from reality totally, because more often than not real life terms are too varied and overcomplicated to bother bringing game terms in line with them

Wombat

First Post
Very true. Most "Real World" terms were only "solidified" (and actually they are still open to LOTS of debate!) during the latter 19th century. The terminology used during the Middle Ages would confuse even more -- what is a "brand" as opposed to an "arming sword" versus "battle sword", etc.

Then again, a lot of the books from the Middle Ages were written by monks, not generally known as the most martial of occupations ;) Y'gotta figure they used "neat terms" as often as correct terminology.

Severion

First Post
My funniest experience with this was actually the morningstar. I had lived in Okinawa before i ever played played and we called those little ninja throwing stars "morningstars". My 1e AD&D half orc assassin was throwin them 1d8 damage puppies all over the place. Plus he carried about 20 of them.

Creamsteak

Explorer
I've got a mixed set of opinions on weapon names myself, mostly from serious video-game playing from the age of 4. Dragon Warrior gave me some terms and pictures for weapons, but nothing all too precise. Later role-playing games introduced me to many more terms, and had me naming a million and one of them for my home-made role-playing game I had at the time.

Nowadays I just go with D&D terminology because I'm most adjusted to it. I'm not too concerned with "Holy Water Sprinklers" being different from any other flail, except in flavor description and possibly tacking a B/P onto a Bludgeoning flail. Bastard swords are probably the only weapon that seems out of place to me, since a longsword is close, and a greatsword is closer, but I don't really mind if they decided to tack on the weapon.

My bigger issue, however, is with firearms. I spent a LOT of time playing resident evil, and later first person shooters. These gave me vague and very false ideas about just how powerful different firearms were, and to this day make it a bit tough for me to not want a 50 calibur pistol in any kind of modern game.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Severion said:
I had lived in Okinawa before i ever played played and we called those little ninja throwing stars "morningstars". My 1e AD&D half orc assassin was throwin them 1d8 damage puppies all over the place.

Heh. I started playing 1E not long after seeing the movie Krull.

Whaddya mean, a Glaive is nine feet long!?

-Hyp.

Severion

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
Heh. I started playing 1E not long after seeing the movie Krull.

Whaddya mean, a Glaive is nine feet long!?

-Hyp.

Yeah, i did that one too. 9ft long, and how come these don't have a range stat.

Steverooo

First Post
AFGNCAAP said:
Has anyone else had/experienced any of these problems/issues? Just curious to hear what y'all have to say.

The descriptions of Morningstars and Flails is correct. It is only the illustrations of the Flails which makes them out to be Morningstar-flails which is "wrong". I have no problems with the longsword description nor illustration. "Broadsword" was basically removed from the game... Meh! Warhammers and Falchions are wrong, true enough.

So, yes, I've had SOME of the same problems that you've had. None with the long or bastard swords, though.

Remove ads