Psion class (Mearls, Happy Fun Hour)

Yaarel

He Mage
Happy Fun Hour 05/01/2018 (Psionic Wizard)
Happy Fun Hour 05/08/2018 (Psionic Wizard)
Happy Fun Hour 05/22/2018 (Soulknife Monk)
Happy Fun Hour 05/29/2018 (Psychic Warrior Fighter)
Happy Fun Hour 06/05/2018 (Overview of Psion and Psionic Archetypes of Core Classes)
Happy Fun Hour 06/12/2018 (Telepath Awakened Psion)
Happy Fun Hour 06/19/2018 (Teleporter Nomad Psion, casting mechanics)
Happy Fun Hour 06/26/2018 (Teleporter Nomad Psion)
Happy Fun Hour 07/03/2018 (Summoner Shaper Psion)

[June/05 2018]

Mearls gives an overview of the state of psionics so far.

It looks to be shaping up awesome.

Rather than mystic, the name of the psionic class will probably be: psion.

Classes and subclasses

Psion
• Telekinetic
• Metamorph
• Nomad
• Constructor

Wizard
• Mentalist (Telepath)

Fighter
• Psychic Warrior

Rogue
• Lurk

Bard

Monk
• Soulknife

Last edited:

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
I’m a big fan of what he’s doing with Psionics right now and I can’t wait to get some UA or published material around these.

This, the Kraken Warlock, and the Giant Soul Sorcerers are what I’m excited to play with.

Yaarel

He Mage
The psion that Mearls has so far, I am really happy about the archetypes.

• Telekinetic (as a specialization! finally my Force wielder, for full on telekinesis tropes)
• Metamorph (a dedicated shapeshifter class!)
• Nomad (metamorph and nomad might turn out good for Norse-esque flavor)
• Constructor (force constructs drawn from ones own mind ... or an enemys nightmare)

These archetypes are all awesome, and their physicality seems to work well thematically in the same class.

I am surprised the more telepathic specialization seems to go to the wizard and bard, but this works well, and these have other mechanics to support this flavor, including mechanics relating to enchantment and divination. Of course, the psion archetype will also have access to psychic abilities to choose from.

This arrangement lets the psion class focus on important archetypes that D&D needs and that other classes do less well.

Ristamar

Adventurer
I haven't seen the latest streams, so could someone explain the rationale behind the possible Bard subclass? Seems unnecessary.

Glad he's shifted the name to Psion. Mystic felt to close to Monk in namesake. Maybe because I have memories of the very monk-like Mystic from Rules Cyclopedia.

Remove ads