Planejammer / Spellscape

In which case I'll pass. Sorry.

To each their own. But I must point out, every edition change and setting update is an exercise in cherry picking to some degree. It is inevitable.

And the phlogiston feel too complicated to me. Complicated in a bad way, in a way that slowed down the game, the group-storytelling and so forth.

An update to Spelljammer - or whatever they call it - could include multiple presentations on a "solar system," for lack of a better term. The book could provide a discussion and diagrams showing how it could work in a heliocentric model, in a geocentric model, possibly a Pythagorean model (both the Earth and the Sun orbit something else at the center of the universe, and maybe even a psuedo-Greek model (with Apollo and his chariot function as the sun).

It's just one thing too many really.

If there was no Astral, Phlogiston would be fine, but as it is, you have two things doing basically the same job (three if you count Ethereal), so it seams reasonable to infer that they are really the same thing.

A G.U.T. of D&D cosmology.

While good in theory, and an excellent idea if they hadn't defined planes for this edition, now that the Astral and Material planes have been defined as separate in this edition, it won't work. If you combine things to make the Phlogiston the Astral, what difference is there between the Astral and Material? And if the various Material worlds are just crystal spheres floating in the Astral, what defines them as being part of their own plane? At that point the "Material Plane" is just basically separated enclosed areas of the Astral, and not its own thing. The Phlogiston is there to keep the Material Plane its own thing, and not overlap, and be subsumed by, the Astral.

gyor

Legend
While good in theory, and an excellent idea if they hadn't defined planes for this edition, now that the Astral and Material planes have been defined as separate in this edition, it won't work. If you combine things to make the Phlogiston the Astral, what difference is there between the Astral and Material? And if the various Material worlds are just crystal spheres floating in the Astral, what defines them as being part of their own plane? At that point the "Material Plane" is just basically separated enclosed areas of the Astral, and not its own thing. The Phlogiston is there to keep the Material Plane its own thing, and not overlap, and be subsumed by, the Astral.

This is why I suggested the Ethereal Plane, maybe even the deep Ethereal Plane.

Remove ads