Need some ideas

der_kluge

Adventurer
Background: 5th edition. Party is level 9.
Location: Underground cavern, accessible underwater via a lake.
Why: The party was asked to investigate the source of giant frogs

The party fought lots of giant toads, and then a Froghemoth (Volo's Guide), without much difficulty (cakewalk for them, actually, but that's an entirely different post), and then discovered several large cylindrical vats full of radioactive stuff, probably fuel, of some sort.

Yes, I'm going a little gonzo here, but I decided to embrace the Wilderland's history of weird technology that still dots the landscape.

Anyway, I need some resolution to this. The party is supposed to deal with the source - which means doing something with the radioactive liquid. They already equipped themselves with prot. from poison, so dealing with it isn't an issue. I told them it was flammable, but I think I'm going to go back on that statement, since a fireball didn't ignite everything. Plus just burning it all with fire sounds too easy.

So looking for some creative ideas here on how I could challenge them with this problem.

Yaztromo

Explorer
The answer to all your need is just one and it's very simple!
It is called module DA2: The Temple of the Frog. A superclassic adventure by Dave Arneson, one of the fathers of D&D.
Enjoy it!

der_kluge

Adventurer
Ok, so I think I've come up with something creative. The frogs are eating the fairies in the area, so the queen fairy decided she needed to take action herself in order to save her people, so she investigated the vats of mutating radioactive stuff, and decided that since it was making the frogs big and powerful, that it was just the stuff she needed to deal with them. Consequences be damned, she puts herself right into the mixture, and as the PCs start to investigate the mixture, the biggest, scariest, mutated fairy pops out prepared to wreak havoc.

That should be fun.

LostSoul

Adventurer
Ok, so I think I've come up with something creative. The frogs are eating the fairies in the area, so the queen fairy decided she needed to take action herself in order to save her people, so she investigated the vats of mutating radioactive stuff, and decided that since it was making the frogs big and powerful, that it was just the stuff she needed to deal with them. Consequences be damned, she puts herself right into the mixture, and as the PCs start to investigate the mixture, the biggest, scariest, mutated fairy pops out prepared to wreak havoc.

That should be fun.

Adding on:

An evil or mischievous faerie started the whole thing to remove the queen from power. Finds the vats, breaks the seals and lets nature take its course; then complains about it to the queen. Or maybe the evil instigator isn't a faerie at all but someone who wanted the queen removed for other reasons, depending what's on your map.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
The sludge has to be hit with something Radiant or Necrotic to really deal with it. OK, you Fireballed the 55-gal drums; now you have a whole lotta dried-up crumbly stuff that still glows faintly green in the dark.
The party could have to research and then perform a ritual that will 'soak up' the radioactivity and transmute it into some other form of energy - they hope not something explosive, but :devil: Evil DM thoughts :devil:.
Or they could have to move the crud to the Positive Energy Plane to be disposed of naturally (so to speak).

B-) Hmm .. do the PCs have access to lead linings? :]

Last edited:

Les Moore

Explorer
It's a chance for the rogues and casters to investigate and scry; to ferret out the cause/effect relationships, here.
Where's the RA liquid coming from? Where are the large frogs emerging, initially? Are they interrelated at all? Or is
it merely a species of large frogs tad-polling nearby?

Remove ads