My Experiment with 5e - No Classes with Cantrips

Wulffolk

Explorer
Honestly, I tend to feel like rituals belong in an S&S game more than most other forms of D&D magic. The long, complex ceremony being the primary (or even only) form of functional magic is quite common in S&S tales.

I completely agree. A low magic game feels even more low magic if the only magic available is ritual magic. It gives magic more gravitas. You have to plan how and when and where to make the best use of a ritual. You can't just fly by the seat of your pants and cast whatever spell you need to save your ass. I have never really cared for the high magic aspect of D&D, especially once you get past low levels. I guess that is why I prefer E6 or E8 games when I play D&D.

pemerton

Legend
D&D used magic to 'escalate' the types of challenges PCs face. As PCs obtain more tools and gain the ability to bypass certain types of challenges, the game introduces newer challenges that take more advanced capabilities to confront. This is a problem for PC types that do not have evolving capabilities that handle these challenges, but it does provide benefits: Things do not get old and players feel like their characters are evolving. If you're still wrestling with how to get the amulet that sits on a floating pedestal that hovers above a 100' wide canyon when you're 15th level, the PCs don't feel that different than a 3rd level party. If, however, that amulet is in an extradimensional pocket protected by animated energy motes ... the PCs don't feel like they're in Kansas anymore. They've graduated... although the S&S tpe PCs don't feel like they have as much to offer in these challenges.
I think a skill system can handle this pretty well. The key feature of skill resolution rather than spell resolution that [MENTION=22779]Hussar[/MENTION] is pointing to is (i) the need to engage the fiction in action declaration and resolution, and (ii) the lack of auto-success.

You can get those features while allowing high level PCs to do things with their skills that are superhuman in capability.

Aldarc

Legend
And that's fair enough. Totally get that. I wanted a much stronger sword and sorcery feel, which means that having two, three, or four spells being cast every single round and every single challenge being met with a shopping list of spells really doesn't get achieve that feel. It's great D&D, sure, but, it's not terribly great S&S.
Are you familiar with Mike Mearls's Iron Heroes book that he did as part of Monte Cook's Malhavoc Press? It was just a heavy Sword and Sorcery game with a lot of mundane classes and only one spellcaster*: the Arcanist.

* At least until a Companion released the Spiritualist.

I'm fairly certain that this was the book that got Mearls the job at WotC too.

Hussar

Legend
Honestly, I tend to feel like rituals belong in an S&S game more than most other forms of D&D magic. The long, complex ceremony being the primary (or even only) form of functional magic is quite common in S&S tales.

Yeah, I could get behind that. And, really, the barbarian didn't faze me too much, despite getting some built in rituals. Makes the whole "nature priest" thing work pretty well.

Honestly, it just never came up.

And, note, while PC's couldn't be full casters, NPC's certainly could. So, you could go find a wizard to do something for you (hopefully) and the setting does have clerics.

Not a Hobbit

Explorer
Did you adjust your monsters as well? Did you not use monsters with at will spells, or did you just cut the at will part and keep the rest of the monster?

I apologize if this has already been discussed.

Thanks.

jgsugden

Legend
I think a skill system can handle this pretty well.
How? Inherently your options are static. You might be able to jump slighylyvfarther or break down a slightly thicker door, but your problem solutions remain substantially the same.
The key feature of skill resolution rather than spell resolution that [MENTION=22779]Hussar[/MENTION] is pointing to is (i) the need to engage the fiction in action declaration and resolution, and (ii) the lack of auto-success.
I understand this is what he is seeking, but that is apples and oranges with my point. He wants a certain low magic feel, but my point is that one style being used throughout an entire campaign doesn' eveolve as much as a system that starts there, then adds layers of magic over and over and over to evolve constantly.

Also, as to (i) - Spells do not mean you don't engage the fiction. If magic feels like you're shutting down the engagement with the fiction, you're forgetting how wonderful and exotic magic should be. Listen a bit to Critical Role podcasts/videos for some good evocative use of magic that might feel better to folks that get bored by magical solutions.

As to (ii) - I see three tiers when it comes to approaching problems with magic: 1.) You have no magic that assists, 2.) Magic helps but does not solve the problem, 3.) Magic bypasses the problem. For most challenge types, you progress through these tiers. A 25' wide crevice can by bypassed by a jump spell or fly spell, or shapechanging magic. Even though jump *could* be there at leve 1, it isn't a common spell choice. So there is no great magic to help one PC get past it for a few levels. Once they have it, the rest of the party still has to get past the crevice. It isn't until higher levels that the PCs can all teleport/fly across the crevice. You get three different experiences as you advance in level... and by the time you can just dismiss the challenge, you've had a good amount of time working through them and are likely to be a bit tired of them.
You can get those features while allowing high level PCs to do things with their skills that are superhuman in capability.
Again, what are you thinking of here. Let's say you have a 20 Strength human fighter rogue with Athletics Expertise at 13th level. His Athletics is a mighty +15. Compare that to a 16 Strength Fighter of level 1 with Athletics Proficiency (+5). What can the 13th level Master of Athletics do that the first level fighter can't? Jump a bit farther? Climb a slicker wall? Lift something that is a bit heavier? Is there a new solution that they can attempt that was not something they could have tried on a weaker version of the problem earlier?

The evolution in problem solving offers something to the game. All I'm really saying is that this S&S, no cantrip class, approach has a cost... and that cost may be felt more heavily as time goes by.

It kind of reminds me of a lot of Dark Sun games. The unique environment of Dark Sun brings a certain feel, but those elements, if emphasized in every session, get a bit tiring. When the DM comes to you and asks how you're going to make sure you have enough water and silt filters for a two week voyage on the Silt Sea... when you're 13th level and have had that conversation 20 times already... It can be less evocative than you might think.

Hussar

Legend
Did you adjust your monsters as well? Did you not use monsters with at will spells, or did you just cut the at will part and keep the rest of the monster?

I apologize if this has already been discussed.

Thanks.

No, not particularly. I tended to use more "beast" type monsters and a LOT of weird stuff like gibbering mouthers and whatnot, but, no, I didn't really need to change anything. Why would I? And, note, NPC's could and did have at-will magic. Blasting away at the party is perfectly fine. :D

Not sure why I would need to remove at-will effects from the baddies.

Hussar

Legend
/snip

Also, as to (i) - Spells do not mean you don't engage the fiction. If magic feels like you're shutting down the engagement with the fiction, you're forgetting how wonderful and exotic magic should be. Listen a bit to Critical Role podcasts/videos for some good evocative use of magic that might feel better to folks that get bored by magical solutions.

Not really the point though. Sure, magic can be evocative. But, in a S&S game, magic should never be the go-to solution of problems. It should be the absolutely last resort. Certainly not the first option. In vanilla D&D? Go for it. But, in order to get the kind of feel in the game that I wanted, I needed to get rid of a lot of magic out of the system.

As to (ii) - I see three tiers when it comes to approaching problems with magic: 1.) You have no magic that assists, 2.) Magic helps but does not solve the problem, 3.) Magic bypasses the problem. For most challenge types, you progress through these tiers. A 25' wide crevice can by bypassed by a jump spell or fly spell, or shapechanging magic. Even though jump *could* be there at leve 1, it isn't a common spell choice. So there is no great magic to help one PC get past it for a few levels. Once they have it, the rest of the party still has to get past the crevice. It isn't until higher levels that the PCs can all teleport/fly across the crevice. You get three different experiences as you advance in level... and by the time you can just dismiss the challenge, you've had a good amount of time working through them and are likely to be a bit tired of them.

If you're tired of 25 foot chasms, then you aren't trying hard enough. :D But, even without those spells, there are far easier ones. A Mage Hand to send a rope across, or Unseen Servant. Or, one character Jumps across with a rope and then the rest of the party crosses with no challenge. A Fabricate spell to create a bridge. Or any of a dozen other options as well.

In other words, when you have a full magic party, most challeges become trivial. Every chasm, every locked door, every interaction with an NPC, and so on. Magic becomes the first and then only solution to every problem.

Again, what are you thinking of here. Let's say you have a 20 Strength human fighter rogue with Athletics Expertise at 13th level. His Athletics is a mighty +15. Compare that to a 16 Strength Fighter of level 1 with Athletics Proficiency (+5). What can the 13th level Master of Athletics do that the first level fighter can't? Jump a bit farther? Climb a slicker wall? Lift something that is a bit heavier? Is there a new solution that they can attempt that was not something they could have tried on a weaker version of the problem earlier?

The evolution in problem solving offers something to the game. All I'm really saying is that this S&S, no cantrip class, approach has a cost... and that cost may be felt more heavily as time goes by.

It kind of reminds me of a lot of Dark Sun games. The unique environment of Dark Sun brings a certain feel, but those elements, if emphasized in every session, get a bit tiring. When the DM comes to you and asks how you're going to make sure you have enough water and silt filters for a two week voyage on the Silt Sea... when you're 13th level and have had that conversation 20 times already... It can be less evocative than you might think.

But, by the same token, in a full caster party, that conversation about how to cross the Silt Sea becomes, "I cast this and that spell, we ignore the major elements of the setting, what happens when we get there" and becomes that in very short order.

Look, it's fine to love the vanilla flavor of D&D. I do too. I just wanted a different experience and this is how I did it. It's actually a lot of fun when you are forced to think about things instead of just knocking off a couple of spell slots. At least it was fun for our group. I'm certainly not going to try to say that this is a better way of playing. Just different. A nice change of pace. But, please, don't think I'm trying to say that this is the way I will always be playing going forward.

jgsugden

Legend
Not really the point though. Sure, magic can be evocative. But, in a S&S game, magic should never be the go-to solution of problems...
Understood. I was just pointing out the cost of taking that approach.
If you're tired of 25 foot chasms, then you aren't trying hard enough. :D
Not really - a 25' chasm is a 25' chasm. I know you're being tongue in cheek, but I wasn't - mundane problems can easily become repetitive.
But, even without those spells, there are far easier ones. A Mage Hand to send a rope across, or Unseen Servant. Or, one character Jumps across with a rope and then the rest of the party crosses with no challenge. A Fabricate spell to create a bridge. Or any of a dozen other options as well.
One of my points was that in a typical campaign there is an evolution. I think of it in three tiers, but it is actually more of a spectrum going from magic being of no assistance in solving a problem to magic trivializing that same problem at higher levels. Different solutions become available that reduce the challenge over time,
In other words, when you have a full magic party, most challeges become trivial. Every chasm, every locked door, every interaction with an NPC, and so on. Magic becomes the first and then only solution to every problem.
To this I strongly disagree. Mundane challenges become trivial, but you escalate the challenges as the party capability escalates. I can run a trap dungeon for 20th level PCs with no monsters that will be fun for the players, even if they are the ones playing a rogue or fighter.[/quote]But, by the same token, in a full caster party, that conversation about how to cross the Silt Sea becomes, "I cast this and that spell, we ignore the major elements of the setting, what happens when we get there" and becomes that in very short order.[/quote]It shouldn't. D&D is an RPG - a role playing game. PCs are characters in a story. At times you want to advance that story a few days without covering what takes place in the middle - but I rarely do that when there is an opportunity for something interest. I'm not a huge fan of Dark Sun, but continuing to use it as an example - a short trip across the silt sea at low levels might require the PCs to stretch their survival skills. At medium levels they may have capabilities (psionic, elemental priest, preserver) that allow them to trivialize the survival risks by making water and shelter. However, you can throw other threats at them that are an escalation - a silt storm, perhaps. Then they get strong enough to control the weather... at which time you might force them not to just sail the silt, but instead venture down into it to find a ruined city buried by the silt.
Look, it's fine to love the vanilla flavor of D&D. I do too. I just wanted a different experience and this is how I did it. It's actually a lot of fun when you are forced to think about things instead of just knocking off a couple of spell slots. At least it was fun for our group. I'm certainly not going to try to say that this is a better way of playing. Just different. A nice change of pace. But, please, don't think I'm trying to say that this is the way I will always be playing going forward.
And that's fine. I was just saying there is a cost to these limitations.

However, I would still like a specific example of how one might differentiate adventures for the 1st level fighter with a 16 Strength and a 13th level +5 Athletics with 20 Strength fighter/rogue with a +15 Athletics. Beyond fighting different monsters, what is different about the challenges they face that escalates the story. pemerton was the one that said there could be escalation, but I'd like to hear your thoughts, too. Or anyone else. How is the venture into the kobold caves different than the demon temple venture 12 levels higher when the monsters are not on the table?

Remove ads