Common Houserules?

I don't think there are many "agreed upon" fixes, there are a couple of more-or-less current threads on a pair of feats that shall not be named that some people see as being broken and others look at as features of the game.

I'm in this camp, too.

The fact that, on a site that is analyzing every nook and cranny of the game, there is no consensus on what needs "fixing" says to me that the game is pretty darn good "as is". The big part of that "as is", of course, is the ability of the DM to make flexible rulings to create a better story and have more fun.

Do yourself a favour and try out the game as-is first, then figure out what YOU would like to change, if anything.

I agree with this sentiment. Let the houserules evolve naturally after giving it a whirl "as is".

jgsugden

Legend
Stuff in my game not part of the core books:

1.) A lot of original content (new spells, monsters, items) added to 'fill gaps'.
2.) If you do not use an action when using a skill, you use a skill's passive score. If you use an action, bonus action or reaction you can roll a die, but the passive score is generally the lowest result you can get. (Example - knowledge checks are often passive and are just based upon your skill +10... but if you stop and think for an action you might get a better result).
3.) Flanking: I do not use the DMG optional rule. Instead, a flanked creature provokes OAs if it moves out of the flanked square. The optional rule from the DMG trivializes advantage in my experience - most attacks are made with advantage when it is used.
4.) I have an elaborate vision system with 11 different types of vision (Normal, Darkvision, Infravision, Ultravision, Devil Sight, etc...)
5.) I have a wounds system that applies injuries to PCs.

toucanbuzz

No rule is inviolate
Been playing 5E since it came out, and I have yet to make up a house rule.

I use the "variant" (optional) rules, which may be more along the lines of what you're asking about:

* Feats
* Human variant
* Injuries (if fail death save by 5 or more)
* Speed Factor initiative

5ekyu

Hero
I draw a slight distinction between choosing to use optional rules from the products and house rules - in that house rules are deliberate changes, additions or deletions to existing rules - not just choosing which of the menu options presented you use.

Optional rules i use include proficiency dice, success at cost, variant ability scores for tasks, session based leveling instead of xp, feats etc.

House rules i have used or still use include requiring a cross-training feat to multiclass, choice driven (non-dex initiative), changes to how HD used and regained, trio-saves for many "save-or-suck" spells/effects, tossing out polymorph altogether etc etc depending on specific campaign and setting needs.

As others have said, i agree, house rules are going to vary from table to table, group to group, setting to setting and should.

Consensus or majority opinion is overrated - as the lone chicken would say when discussing supper plans with three foxes.

Your game will likely find its own nedds and particulars because you game will be unique - just like everyone elses.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
NO, absolutely utterly NO house rule is "agreed upon", and anyone trying to make you believe that is a fraud.

Do yourself a favour and try out the game as-is first, then figure out what YOU would like to change, if anything. Don't start off with the wrong foot of thinking something needs fixing before even trying it.

They did say "generally agreed", and there is nothing wrong with asking for advice when learning a new system. IMHO.

hbarsquared

Quantum Chronomancer
Firstly, as I think is obvious from this thread, so far, there are zero "agreed upon" rules.

With that said, I find it humorous/encouraging that the majority of house rules are actually RAW variants in the rulebooks.

And most of the remaining house rules are just tweaks, more than anything, as opposed to wholesale rules changes.

guachi

Hero
I use the optional rules of feats, multiclassing, Gritty Realism, Natural Healing, and probably a few other optional rules I can't think of.

Outside of rules specific to the game world, the only house rule I've added is eliminating abilities on a short rest (they all refresh on a long rest), changing short rests to 5-10 minutes (which is an optional rule but this only applies to using HD for HP), and abilities from a long rest come back throughout the seven day period on a set schedule rather than all at once after seven days.

The combined changes make a huge change to the pace of the game and it really ramps up the danger.

Unwise

Adventurer
- Nobody cares about your spell components, you either have them on you or you don't. We don't want to track them.

- The actual weapon you chose to use does not matter much for damage. A martial character will do d8 with a spear/rapier/shortsword/whatever barring any special abilities etc. You can flavour the weapon as most anything and keep the appropriate damage dice. So a Roman-style warrior can use spear and gladius and be just as good as a guy using a martial-only weapon. In the same way a Greataxe/greatsword/maul all roll 2d6 or d12, whatever the wielder wants.

- Untrained people stuffing up rolls makes it harder on the other characters. If I ask for an Arcana check and the wizard does OK but everybody decides to roll for it, then the DC goes up, since everybody is contributing, even the people who have no idea what they are talking about. Same goes with searching, if you critical fail at perception, then you have drawn your teammates attention towards the useless thing you think you found. In a team of 5-6 all skill checks end up kind of pointless as you have a higher chance of somebody rolling a critical success and can almost gaurentee somebody rolls very well. Not being trained in a skill makes is risky to contribute in our games. Reading the glyphs is the Wizard's time to shine, not just the random guy that happened to roll well.

Remove ads