The Heroes of Dyvers Chapter Six

Aust Thale

Adventurer
Respen's Reaction...

~ Vale, my dwarven friend...<sigh>…~

As Vale storms off, Respen addresses Margull, "Lord Margull, apologies for my friend. His cousin was part of a group investigating Skorane. It did not go well.
His cousin was the only one to make it out, fortunately for us. However, he did not stay in the region.
"

As the party mills about preparing questions for the shape-changing interlopers, Respen quietly addresses Margull semi-privately. "I understand your...reservations about Dame Clare. I have them, I assure you. Speaking frankly, I ought to be embarrassed. However, I enjoy skating at a razor's edge, and I supposed that she spared me because of it, albeit with strings. Perhaps I am what she can't be. And if she was 'playing with her food', as you say, never has 'food' so wonderfully annoyed, amused, and otherwise availed itself of her."

Respen isn't attempting to amuse Margull; he is speaking with a playful cynicism quintessentially made of elven emotion. One part resignation, one part indignation, and one part explanation.

"Lord Margull, I'm sure I'll regret saying this, but I can handle Dame Clare. As to her coming above ground, why should she do so when she has me?" Respen smiles knowingly.

"Thank you for the title. I shall put it to expert use doing my best to protect Dyvers, starting with these shape-change clowns. I personally believe they are infiltrators in order to effect a coup and take the city. So I have to respectfully suggest that you not allow yourself to be drawn away. You place the city in peril when you do. Perhaps that was your rationale in sending others to investigate Skorane, but your jaunt away to find others of your kind gave these tossers the chance to spread their influence. Again, respectfully, you should remain here."

"Lastly, I hope you will not take offense, but I will allow my betrothed to formally take my title that you bestowed upon me. I simply wish to be able to come and go unfettered. Otherwise, I wish to remain anonymous. I prefer it among the shadows at the moment. Nobility comes with a certain...visibility...that I prefer not to have. No interviews. No introductions except those in utmost in confidence. Dewydd's public face shall serve me quite well. I'd ask for your, and Laramon's, and Delbin's direct protection for my family. Another reason for my anonymity. Having powerful allies and friends is great, but one is better served in their presence than out of it, no?"

Sylvar B.

Explorer
Sylvar agrees with Vale's outburst, but as he watches Vale leave the room, he thinks to himself, "It is not the generals who bleed when the call to war goes out, my friend. That honor is left for those who would take up the sword...it is regrettable what happened, but your kin understood the danger.

Sylvar finds a spot next to Tam, in his usual nonchalant manner, watching everything, but seeming to mind his own business. He begins to hum a tune that Vale's drunken outburst reminded him of, a sea shanty...with a smile he begins to sing quietly, modified to fit the situation... (Partially in an attempt to cheer up Tam, and partially to entertain himself)

What shall we do with a drunken dwar-ef?
What shall we do with a drunken
dwar-ef?
What shall we do with the drunken
dwar-erf, early in the morning...

Hang him from the ceiling in the Vampire's dungeon,
Hang him from the ceiling in the Vampire's dungeon,
hang him from the ceiling in the Vampire's dungeon, early in the morning.

Yo, ho and up he rises
Yo, ho and up he rises
Yo, ho and up he rises, early in the morning.

dwar-ef?
dwar-ef?
dwar-ef, early in the morning...

Tie him to the back of an angry stallion
Tie him to the back of an angry stallion,
Tie him to the back of an angry stallioooon, Early in the morning...

Yo, ho and up he rises
Yo, ho and up he rises

dwar-ef?
dwar-ef, early in the morning...

At this point Sylvar looks at Respen as he is speaking with Margull, gets a deep smile on his face, and lowers the volume of his voice just a little further (knowing full well that Respen can probably still hear him) and ribs Tam with his elbow...

Lock him in a cabin with Respen's vixen
Lock him in a cabin with Respen's vixen, Early in the morning.

He allows his voice to rise to its previous volume

Yo, ho and up he rises
Yo, ho and up he rises

Yo, ho and up he rises
Yo, ho and up he rises
Yo, ho and up he rises, early..... in..... the..... morning.

Sylvar settles in to humming the tune, knowing that at this point his lyrics would just degrade into increasingly sophomoric, yet still humorous, lows more befitting a tavern than a wizard's tower.

Last edited:

Waynan

Adventurer
What shall we do with the drunken dwar-ef, early in the morning...

At this point Sylvar looks at Respen as he is speaking with Margull, gets a deep smile on his face, and lowers the volume of his voice just a little further (knowing full well that Respen can probably still hear him) and ribs Tam with his elbow...

Lock him in a cabin with Respen's vixen, Early in the morning.

Though Tam is in a funk over what has transpired since Palimov, his very mentor who took a younger Tamartamlin Quickfoot under his personal tutelage, asked him to do such a dastardly and crazy deed, when Sylvar ribs him and sings of Vale with Respen's woman, he can't help but be lifted into Sylvar's levity. He is lifted by the Bard's skill to the point of singing the last two choruses with Sylvar, quite lustily...and, to Sylvar's surprise, in good voice:

Yo, ho and up he rises
Yo, ho and up he rises

Yo, ho and up he rises
Yo, ho and up he rises
Yo, ho and up he rises, early..... in..... the..... morning.

When they finish, Tam hugs Sylvar and thanks him for the song; but then, he pulls back quickly/embarrassedly, for no two partners in a "business" agreement should ever be so buddy-buddy...he just couldn't help himself. The emotional rollercoaster he had been on since meeting Lady Abigail and the archery contest at the party and the unexpected request of his Guild Master and personal mentor was really messing with his heart/head and...*gasp*, dare he say...soul.

He knew he had much to say to Margull...and Laramon...but, he would patiently wait for them to approach him.

He just hoped, by Yondalla, that they would...and soon.

Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Results of Sylvar's Bardic Knowledge Check

Sylvar said:
”.... He does however, reach back into his memory for anything concerning Margull, the "True Blood" and Vampires.”

[sblock=What Sylvar Knows From Legends of Old]
Sylvar doesn’t recall anything about the “True Blood,” but he does recall that there was a legend that he once heard, about the Cult of Vecna, a dark order of sinister mages, all of whom were obsessed with two main goals: the attainment of immortality for themselves, and the restoration of their fallen lord, the Arch Lich known as Vecna.

GM:
SIDENOTE: Vecna had been a powerful wizard in his mortal life, and in his elder years, he purposefully transformed himself into a Lich, and forged an empire through the letting of blood over a 510-year period, from S.D. 3805 - S.D. 4315 (S.D. = Suloise Date.) By the time Vecna’s corporeal form was sundered in S.D. 4315 (which, in C.Y. Dating, is C.Y. -1200) Vecna had already obtained quasi-deitific status, having legions of loyal followers dedicated to the acquisition of power through servitude of him. Thus, Vecna has persevered, his cult now known far and wide as The Unseen Eyes, a reference to the fact that anything that his servants know is also known by their dark master, whose colloquial title is “The Master of Secrets.”

Most of the members of the original Cult of Vecna (before it became a true religion) eventually became Liches themselves, although there was one magus in particular, the Arch Magus known as Morval Ebonfire, who was convinced that there were other undead forms that could grant more power, and greater longevity, than “mere Lichdom.” It is said that Morval captured a powerful vampire, and experimented on him for centuries, trying to concoct a potion from his blood that would grant Morval immortality and ultimate power; this is obviously the arch magus that Margull was referring to. And Margull is most certainly the powerful vampire in question. It is said that Morval developed the potion early in Margull’s captivity, transforming himself; and over the next two hundred years or so, Morval would return periodically to the place where Margull was being held, in order to consume additional doses of Margull’s blood, all the while, creating legions of loyal servants (Vampyr Spawn) with which he planned to wage war against the Elven Empires, much as Vecna had originally done.

There are those sages who theorize that it was Vecna himself who somehow arranged Margull’s escape, as repayment for what he saw as Morval’s treachery. Morval had turned away from Vecna’s service, more interested in his own ambitions. According to legend, Margull somehow freed himself (or was set free) from the spell that was binding him (and also suppressing his powers), and laid in wait for Morval to return. When he did, Margull surprised him, using the power of the blood to paralyze Morval. Margull then drained Morval completely of all blood, and consumed his heart and brain, which had the effect of utterly destroying the would-be tyrant.
[/sblock]

GM: SYLVAR: If you choose to tell the party all that you know about this matter, simply state that you do so (in character) and then the party members can simply come back to this post and click on the SBlock, rather than you having to re-type all of this information.

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Vale's Axe Finally Speaks Up

As Vale is cogitating about his disgust with Margull, the axe's slick (yet grating) voice pops back into his head.

[sblock=For Vale's Eyes Only]
Valoran to Vale, Telepathically, ~Wh-wh-what?!? What just happened? It feels like I've been asleep! There's danger here! That one, he's a dark spirit, reeking of the tainted existence of un-life!~
[/sblock]

Valoran speaks up, shouting at the party members: "Blast it, all ye bumbling peasants! That man is a vampire! What are you all standing around for? Attack him!"

The axe obviously means Margull. It begins to glow a radiant shade of blue!

Laramon spits in disgust, "I thought I put you to sleep, you damnable axe?"

Laramon waves his hand, and almost instantly, the axe ceases to glow, falling silent once more!

Laramon explains, "Forgive me, master Dwarf. But I know that axe of yours quite well. I have encountered it before, in the hands of its former owner, Lyndalia Fireforge. If I had not suppressed its powers just now, it likely would have compelled you to attack the Lord Mayor. And we can't have that; Lord Margull is the rightful sovereign, and although he is indeed one of the undead, he is not evil, and deserves not your mistrust nor your ire. Margull and I have worked together for many years, and he has earned my complete trust. I have not harmed your axe, I have merely sedated it for the time being. I had done so earlier, as you arrived at the mansion, but the axe seems to have significant powers of recovery, to have awakened so soon."

Sylvar B.

Explorer
When Respen is through speaking with Margull Sylvar speaks.

Forgive me Lord Margull, If you are who I think you are it would have been a simple matter of a wave of your hand to annihilate all of us, and so I have no doubt as to your right intention, or at least that you have found a use for us that suits your purposes....
Thank you, by the way, for the titles you have bestowed on us. Unlike Respen I have no need for anonymity beyond a desire to be able to travel without hindrance.

If I may be so bold, and, you may decline to answer if you deem that my questions are too bold, or that I am overstepping my bounds... Are you the vampire that Morval Ebonfire held captive all those years so that he could prolong his life?

OOC: If Margull's answer is yes Sylvar will share what he knows with the group.
If Margull's answer is no Sylvar will look at Respen and say "I do believe it is time for us to leave" He'll thank Margull for his hospitality and gather his things and walk out.

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Margull nods solemnly, "Yes, Young Master Sylvar. You are correct. I am indeed that person. But I'd prefer that you not use the word vampire in my presence. I prefer "Old Ones," or "True Bloods." As I said before, the term vampire doesn't really do my kind justice. We don't simply drink blood; we use it. Through the blood, I can reach out to others of my kind, and heal them, or destroy them, or know what they know. The Vampyr, such as Dame Clare, have no such connection, except to those who are their direct spawn. Their blood is tainted, lesser, not true. They are the ones for whom you should reserve that term."

Damionte

Explorer
Good Twin Bad Twin / Who's Up First

Duncan is conferring with the others when the twins approach with a proposition.

Travis: "Boss, let us take a crack at this. These doppelgangers are a tricky lot."
Leonard: "Yes and they have trouble with possessive pronounces. We'll get them warmed up. "

Duncan: "You two have questions? Hmm I suppose it won't hurt to let you warm them up. Ask away."

The twins approach the bound and blindfolded prisoners. Sensing their approach one of them calls out.

Yu: "Who's there?"

Travis: "What's your name?"

Yu: "Yu!"

Travis: "No, not me, you!"

Yu: "Yes, I'm Yu."

Leonard: "Just answer the question!"

Yu: "But I have told you."

Leonard: "No you told him! Are you deaf?"

Yu: "No, Yu is blind!"

Leonard: "I'm not blind. You blind!"

Yu: "That is what I just said."

Leonard: "You said what?"

Yu: "I did not say what, I said Yu."

Travis: "That's what I'm asking you."

Yu: "And Yu was answering."

Travis: "Shut up!"

Leonard rips the blindfold off the other prisoner. "You!"

Yu: "Yes?"

Travis slaps Yu. "Not you him!"

Leonard: "What's your name?"

Mi: "Mi."

Travis: "Yes you!"

Mi: "I'm Mi."

Yu: "He's Mi, and I'm Yu."

Travis pounces on Yu, and Leonard has to pull him off.

Travis: "I'm going to rip you apart. I'm sick of playing these games. You Me, everybody in here is going to get these hands!"

Leonard: "Brother, brother calm down, calm down."

In a calmer voice he turns back to the prisoners.

Leonard: "Enough of that let's move on. We know you have operatives in the city guilds so tell me their names!"

Mi: "Who, what,... I don't know."

Leonard: "You're trying to tell me you don't know the operatives names?"

Yu: "Mi's telling you!"

Travis: "No one asked YOU!"

Leonard: "Tell me the name of the operative in the thieves guild."

Mi: "Who."

Leonard: "The guy at the thieves guild."

Leonard: "WHAT'S THE NAME OF THE OPERATIVE IN THE THIEVES GUILD?"

Mi: "Who's! In the thieves guild."

Leonard: "What are you asking me for?"

Yu: "Mi's not asking, Mi's telling!"

Travis: "No one asked YOU!"

Mi: "That's the operatives name!"

Leonard: "That's who's name?"

Mi: "Yes."

Leonard: "So tell me!"

Mi: "I am Mi!"

Yu: "And I'm yu!"

Travis slaps Yu again!

Leonard grabs Mi by the throat.

"I just want to know the name of the operative in the thieves guild."

Mi: "Who"

Leonard: "The operative!"

Leonard: "WHAT'S THE NAME OF THE OPERATIVE IN THE THIEVES GUILD?"

Yu: "What's the name of the operative in the Mage's guild."

Travis: "We didn't ask you who's in the Mage's Guild."

Mi ( Choking): "Who's in the Thieves Guild!"

Travis: "I don't know!"

Yu: "He's with the Iron Bears Guard"

Mi: "Da Bears!"

The twins lose their :):):):) and start assaulting the prisoners. Duncan has heard enough and goes in to pull the twins off of them.

Duncan: "Ok ... ok... that's enough we'll take it! .... WE'LL TAKE IT FROM HERE!"

GM: +1,000 xp to Duncan, and +500 xp to Ebony, Lenny, and Trav, for making the DM laugh.

Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Playtime Is Over, Fellas :)

It is at this point that Laramon imprisons the villainous pair, and casts a spell that will allow the party to question them despite their remote, catatonic state.

Laramon eyes the twins coldly, "You two behave, or I'll turn you both into mice and sic my cat on you!"

Laramon gives Duncan a silent, sideways glance, that seems to imply, "Just kidding, I wouldn't really do that."

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases