Does Darkvision include low-light vision?

hong

WotC's bitch
Darkvision is not the same as low-light vision. If you have darkvision, you can see without the need for light, out to a specified range (usually 30 ft or 60 ft). If you have low-light vision, you can see further than normal sight, usually to twice the given range. Eg if you have a torch, you can see out to 20 ft, and a further 20 ft if you have low-light vision.

RObiN-HoOD

Explorer
Let me rephrase the question:
If you have darkvision, can we say that you have low-light vision as well?

For example, a dwarf has darkvision. Can he see at night in a forest without the help of a light source, ie a lantern, but only the stars provided there are some stars up in the sky? An elf can see without a problem, what about the dwarf?

I'm asking this to understand if there is a point to try and have both vision on a PC, through other means such as spells, magic items etc...

hong

WotC's bitch
princedom said:

No; however, in many cases, both will do the job.

For example, a dwarf has darkvision. Can he see at night in a forest without the help of a light source, ie a lantern, but only the stars provided there are some stars up in the sky? An elf can see without a problem, what about the dwarf?

The dwarf's darkvision lets him see _without needing any light_, out to the specified range (60 ft). Whether it's nighttime or not, and whether there are stars or not, are irrelevant. Beyond 60 ft, he can't see anything that a human couldn't see.

The elf can see twice as far as a human could see under conditions of low visibility. If the human can see out to a range of 20 ft with a torch, the elf can see out to 40 ft. If the starlight provides enough light for the human to see out to 60 ft, the elf can see out to 120 ft.

Zhure

First Post
Also, darkvision doesn't grant color vision; it's only B&W.

While darkvision seems all-around superior to low-light vision, in some few situations, low-light is the better choice. For example, in moonlight woods, an elf might have vision out to 120 feet, while his darkvision-using foe would be limited to 60 feet of color vision and 60 feet of darkvision (black and white only). The elf can more easily see, target, and evade the darkvision user.

Greg

Dr. Zoom

First Post
princedom said:

No. Darkvision does not include low light vision. Dwarves have 60 foot darkvision but not low light vision, for example.

Mahali

Explorer
Zhure said:
his darkvision-using foe would be limited to 60 feet of color vision and 60 feet of darkvision (black and white only). The elf can more easily see, target, and evade the darkvision user.

Greg
To clarify they would have 60' of darkvision or 60' of color vision at whatever the light conditions are. Darkvision has a range of 60 not 60' beyond normal vision.

HeavyG

First Post
I'd like to add that many people don't know that creatures with low-light vision can see as well on a moonlit night on the surface that a human sees by day, which is a lot better than seeing twice as far as a human. It's also a lot better than darkvision.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases