D&D 5E Hang Time - What if you jump farther than your speed?

Oofta

Legend
Sadly, no, or else by RAW you'd immediately fall straight down, up to 500', as soon as you jumped, meaning you'd never effectively leave the ground or that chasms are especially dangerous.

Ahh, but even the space station is technically falling as it orbits the earth. Seen an explanation here.

Where RAW is silent, I assume things work like the real world. Since gravity sucks, if you are not supported by something else you are falling. That's my story, I'm sticking to it.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
What's the equation for the velocity of orbit for a wooden ship orbiting widdershins around a flat disc carried on the backs of four elephants riding a turtle, though? Not sure orbital mechanics is really the refuge you want, here....

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
The rules do technically allow you to end your turn in the air. XGtE, the section on falling long distances.

Whether one chooses to allow jumps beyond existing movement to do the same is certainly a judgement call. But, it's noteworthy that an in-print official source does allow for ending turns in mid-air.

For me, it has nothing to do with ending your turn in mid-air. That doesn't bother me at all.

For me, it's that, to be permissible, the player's declared action for their turn should be within the character’s capability. The action declaration, “I leap across the chasm”, is fine when the character has enough movement to get across on this turn. The same action declaration doesn’t work in my games when there isn’t enough movement because it isn’t something the character can do this turn. Likewise, the action declaration, “I leap half-way across the chasm”, doesn’t work either because such an action on the part of the character would result in it plummeting to its death, clearly not the outcome desired by the player.

Ultimately, the question being asked is, “What are you doing with your turn?” The answer should be something the character can actually accomplish within the turn’s constraints. I realize not everyone plays this way.

MechaPilot

Explorer
For me, it has nothing to do with ending your turn in mid-air. That doesn't bother me at all.

For me, it's that, to be permissible, the player's declared action for their turn should be within the character’s capability. The action declaration, “I leap across the chasm”, is fine when the character has enough movement to get across on this turn. The same action declaration doesn’t work in my games when there isn’t enough movement because it isn’t something the character can do this turn. Likewise, the action declaration, “I leap half-way across the chasm”, doesn’t work either because such an action on the part of the character would result in it plummeting to its death, clearly not the outcome desired by the player.

Ultimately, the question being asked is, “What are you doing with your turn?” The answer should be something the character can actually accomplish within the turn’s constraints. I realize not everyone plays this way.

Well, "I leap across the chasm to the extent of my remaining movement" is something the character can accomplish within the turn's constraints, as is "I continue my aerial movement across the chasm and land before doing _____" on the character's next turn. If "what you state must be accomplishable on your turn" is the standard, then it's really just a matter of phrasing your words so that you only say the things you're going to do that occur in that round.

Which also begs the question with regard to hiding, sneaking, and other multi-round activities that I presume you allow characters to do but which are not concluded in a single round. But whatever. Every DM has their own preferred way of running things. As long as you and the people at your table are having fun, who cares what anyone else does.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Well, "I leap across the chasm to the extent of my remaining movement" is something the character can accomplish within the turn's constraints, as is "I continue my aerial movement across the chasm and land before doing _____" on the character's next turn. If "what you state must be accomplishable on your turn" is the standard, then it's really just a matter of phrasing your words so that you only say the things you're going to do that occur in that round.

Which also begs the question with regard to hiding, sneaking, and other multi-round activities that I presume you allow characters to do but which are not concluded in a single round. But whatever. Every DM has their own preferred way of running things. As long as you and the people at your table are having fun, who cares what anyone else does.

Incorrect use of "begs the question."

Here's a hypothetical for discussion: what if a player wants to not just jump 20 across turns', but also wants to land on an outcrop 50' down on the other side? How do you rule this? When does the fall take place, or is there even a fall?

Hriston

Well, "I leap across the chasm to the extent of my remaining movement" is something the character can accomplish within the turn's constraints,

Yes, but the DM’s job is to then narrate the result of that action, which in this case, if you’re only jumping part-way across the chasm, is “You fall.”

Oofta

Legend
Yes, but the DM’s job is to then narrate the result of that action, which in this case, if you’re only jumping part-way across the chasm, is “You fall.”

Of course you fall. You also still have forward momentum and continue in your standard arc unless Newtonian physics not covered in the 5E rule books do no apply in your world.

Hriston

Of course you fall. You also still have forward momentum and continue in your standard arc unless Newtonian physics not covered in the 5E rule books do no apply in your world.

No, you don’t. The desired fiction implicit in the player’s action declaration is that the character is aiming for a point only part-way across the chasm. The stated intention is for forward momentum to end there. Why would I deny the player the result of their stated action declaration?

5ekyu

Hero
As an observation likely covered well before now.

Its worth noting that in PHB you can try to make longer jumps. There is no "cut off hover in space OMG what now" paradox but instead an ability check to make longer jumps. See using an ability.

So perhaps it should be resolved more directly as any other ability check with approach, goal, DC then check.

So your jump across chasm could become DC 25 to leap all the way across, DCwp to leap across and catch the side, DC 15 to leap then land on a lower ledge on the other side taking some falling dmg, etc. If the situation is impossible, then thats the result but as many are want to throw in not impossible examples here... Seems worth noting.

I thibk like most cases moving to use the base resolution mechanics whoch bring all those interpretive situational factors in as DC and focus on the PC abilities can serve the play better than just hard line fiat of float for a turn or cannot try etc.

Especially when you actually have a skill option spelled out related to this - even if not exact.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
No, you don’t. The desired fiction implicit in the player’s action declaration is that the character is aiming for a point only part-way across the chasm. The stated intention is for forward momentum to end there. Why would I deny the player the result of their stated action declaration?
Are you actually arguing for a playstyle where players can only declare intent in 6 second increments? How do they ritually cast? How do they rest?

Dear god, how do they poop?!

Remove ads