A discussion of metagame concepts in game design

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
No it's not. You accused someone of confusing meta with abstract. If all things are abstract then this is a worthless observation.

The correct observation would be 'All things are abstract. There are subsets of abstract which are meta and not meta.'

But you didn't. You drew a distinction between meta and abstract and then proceeded from that distinction to make your wholly unsupported assertion that in fact D&D HP are abstract but not metagame, as if the abstraction removes the possibility of both abstract and metagame being present.

You now concede that this is not the case.
I see that you couldn't be bothered to read what I posted, as I made that exact observation that you're telling me I didn't do above. In the original post, all I said is that the poster was confusing abstractions with meta, which they did -- hitpoints are an abstraction but they aren't meta. The complaints made were about the abstract nature of hitpoints and didn't have any meta features. Strangely, you're here now telling me I am wrong for making the argument you just made.

Gibbering attempt to avoid the question.
Wow. You need to dial it back. Saying that vice replacing my quote with that is slightly less offensive, but you're crossing the line.
Given the same description, I could get very close to estimating that character's HP in Runequest 2.

So why are you struggling so hard to avoid the question when it's D&D HP?

You claim D&D HP are not metagame, but in-character knowledge. So use your in-character knowledge to tell me. I can do it for RQ2. Why can't you for D&D?

I'll tell you why, of course. It's because D&D HP are pure metagame. Some people then choose to pretend they aren't. But that doesn't make it not metagame in any analytical sense, it means they gain their enjoyment from a self-deception regarding the design of the game.

Which is fine, but it doesn't mean I've confused anything. I've simply revealed the emptiness at the centre of your misleading and completely false assertion that D&D HP are not metagame. They are.
I answered your question -- I cannot determine things about my character's current state based on a short scene description. I also said that knowing my character's recent and past history isn't metagame. Knowing my character's story in the fiction of the game -- that I trained as a fighter and that I've recently begun adventuring and that, just a few minutes ago, I was pressed hard by some goblins but won through are all in fiction things that inform me, the player, to the answers to your questions. The abstract mechanic of hp, which would provide me the player with more information about how hard those goblins pressed me is still just the abstract representation of the information my character, if alive in the world, would have but cannot be otherwise represented to me, the player. That's not meta -- in any sense (and I disagree with most of the definitions of meta in this thread, some are confusing stance and/or limited authorial agency with metagame mechanics). It's abstraction.

D&D hitpoints aren't meta. They don't represent information not available in game. The don't represent mechanics that exist outside the framework of the game. They just aren't meta. They're just an abstraction of the game's fictional process of combat.

As for you being able to guess about where the HP in Runequest 2 is from the information in your scene frame, that's entirely because Runequest 2 has descriptions for damage based on HP level baked into the system. You're using information from outside of your scene framing to make that determination -- information you deny other systems. "Dirty pool, old man."

5ekyu

Hero
more and more i come to the conclusion that the meaning of metagame is "whatever i need it to be to fusss about something i dislike."

i am so very very glad that my experience at the table has so infinitely small if ever mentions of "metagame" compared to the frequency with which it blazes across forums.

Arilyn

Hero
more and more i come to the conclusion that the meaning of metagame is "whatever i need it to be to fusss about something i dislike."

i am so very very glad that my experience at the table has so infinitely small if ever mentions of "metagame" compared to the frequency with which it blazes across forums.

Yep. Take your meta-gaming characters, stick them on a railroad, throw in some GNS theory, and then stand way back.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
[MENTION=6682826]CH[/MENTION]aochou

Having fun playing a game is part of playing a game. it is not a decision made by a character. It is therefore both part of the game and explicitly metagame.

This is untrue. Having fun is the result of playing the game. It's not part of playing the game. There are no rules that say you have fun at X time, but not Y time.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
What would you suggest in replacement that would be?

I've seen games where you just have statuses, such as unhurt, lightly hurt, moderately hurt, severely hurt, unconscious, dead. You'd of course have different combat mechanics to determine how you reach those statuses.

You're using information from outside of your scene framing to make that determination -- information you deny other systems.

No. It's simply illustrative that HP in D&D are metagame information.

The OP defined metagame information and asked for games which may or may not use it to a greater or lesser degree. Metagame was defined as making decisions as a character without the information that character would have.

I provided the information a player has:

You're standing on a bridge leaning on your spear. You're tired and got a sore back from having slept badly on rough ground. You've got a vivid bruise on your right arm and scraped knuckles on that hand.

A player can make a reasoned and well-informed decision about the health and wellbeing of this character with just this information in Runequest 2. In Runequest 3. In Apocalypse World. In FATE. In Call of Cthulhu. In Traveller. In Pendragon. In Dogs in the Vineyard. In Sorcerer. In the Riddle of Steel. In Warhammer FRP. In game after game after game.

Why not in D&D? Simple. Because Hit Points are a meaningless, amorphous metagame ball of pacing mechanic and plot protection.

You need to know your character history to figure it out? Sorry, bud, your character got amnesia. Makes no odds to accurately playing their health in all the systems above. But how many D&D hit points do you have now? How do you feel right now? Or does your amnesiac character forget their hitpoints?

Aldarc

Legend
Most of the times in these discussions my use of the term magic comprises any special force that a skeptical rationalist in this world would not believe exists. So Psionics, Ki, Mutations, etc... are all forms of "magic" for the discussion. Magic is changes to the universes ruleset.
That entire world in D&D is presumed magical. You are trying to apply a modernist mindset that distinguishes between the mundane and the magical to a world that presumes a premodern worldview wherein the supernatural, magical, and irrational are infused into everything of the cosmos. Everything. In such a worldview, whether you are playing 0E-5E, there is no "just a mundane person" in this world. The supernatural infuses every fiber of the world, and this is abundantly evident in the Great Wheel and D&D's other various cosmologies.

My issue is players making changes to the game state that their characters could not possibly make given the world they are playing in. So let's just say the implied D&D world prior to 4e. In that world, fighters are not innately magical. They use magic of all sorts and that is part of their power for sure. So such a fighter could not possibly have a once per day "power". So my choices in that situation were to either rewrite the world to make fighters magical or to leave behind actor stance and go into some kind of author stance. Neither appealed to me all that much.
And therein is my problem. Others and I have a different vision and conception of "the world they are playing in," wherein abilities like Second Wind and Action Surge are plausible from the perspective of in-character choice and their worldview. I suspect that you are thinking like a modernist playing this game. You believe there to be distinction between natural and supernatural as opposed to simply The World as Imagined. You are possibly failing to live up to your own self-professed Actor stance. You are not imagining their world. A world with a different set of presumptions. A world that lacks any distinction between the natural and supernatural, between magical and mundane. You are not imagining what it would be like in the world that D&D presumes because you are too busy presuming that you are playing with this world in mind from a modernist perspective. This is something that I have even advised newplayers to fantasy roleplaying and modern Euro-American students when looking at the pre-modern world. There is no distinction between natural and supernatural. (Actually Runequest gets this pre-modern worldview remarkably well.)

Fate points, I assume are outside the purview of the PC. They are 100% player tokens and the player is authoring events around to character to create a story. It is a valid style and I hope no one doubts me when I say that. I hope you all enjoy it. I wish you well. I personally just don't prefer that style of game. That alone is not me casting aspersions. That is me stating a preference.
Of course.

Fate points are outside of the purview of the character, though one could rework them in-character, which could be potentially interesting as a reskin. Fate points are not primarily used for authoring though, but for acting. More often than not, Fate points are used when the Actor wants to embrace or lean into their role at important, key moments. And yes, Fate points may also be used in occurrences when the Actor may desire to provide more "authorship" over the setting in ways that are applicable to the setting. Because just like in the context of D&D: all actors are authors. They have created their characters and they have a sense of their character's identity and not everything of that sort needs to be done outside of gameplay. In Fate, this may entail points where the PC declares that "they know a guy who can help" or some other story detail (e.g., "I pull out anti-shark repellent out of my bat utility belt."). In this role, they are both Actor and Author; it is neither an either/or situation, as the Actor is developing their sense of character and roleplaying who that character is. Nothing, and I do mean nothing, inherently forces the Actor out of Actor stance when they spend a Fate point. I have watched entire games of Fate done entirely from 1st person, in-character speak and roleplaying as character. The decisions were made, rejected, and formulated from in-character perspectives.

Fate points are a metacurrency that exist as "a measure of how much influence you have to make the story go in your character’s favor," as per the Fate rules, but I have a slightly different additional take. Fate points also exist as a metacurrency possessed by the GM and Players that serves to reinforce and negotiate the Social Contract between all roleplay game participants through a means of checks and balances during, through, and within gameplay. Fate points give players more control over their sense of character. They give players opportunities to veto the narrative that the GM may impose on their characters. But they also give a way for the GM to tacitly check against the acting of players for points where there is a discrepancy of character and the acting (e.g., you are playing your LG character as CE, why isn't your hydrophobic character acting afraid of water, etc.).

I think pure actor stance is an incredible rich and rewarding style of play. I wouldn't say it's the only form of roleplaying. I would say though that those moments in any game where you are "being" the character is WHEN you are roleplaying. So if you drop out occasionally to be the player that is fine. You aren't really playing your character at that point. You are modifying the game around your character so that when you return to character the game will be more interesting.
Again, I contend that there is no "Pure Actor Stance," much as there is no Pure Scotsman. It is an inherent impossibility within the presumed framework of its very own theory and in praxis. You can say that you aspire to maximize the Actor's stance and minimize the Director and Author stances of players, but please stop talking about Pure Actor Stance as if it was something that you have achieved and was even plausible.

I don't know. I think that there are a lot of metagame elements to D&D and other games that get overlooked or a free pass because of familiarity. It says nothing about whether or not I like those elements. But I also don't necessarily mind metagame mechanics, so it is not a case of making a "fuss about something I dislike," though that criticism would certainly apply to others.

As I said before, the metagame is often about the gameplay. Fouls are a part of basketball's meta in how the game is played even though by nature they represent inappropriate or "foul" gameplay. Likewise, we may hate excessive diving in Fußball, but it's undoubtedly part of the meta.

Why not in D&D? Simple. Because Hit Points are a meaningless, amorphous metagame ball of pacing mechanic and plot protection.
That is how Stress works in Fate too. Consequences can put more "meat" on the character, but Stress boxes are functionally as you describe here.

Last edited:

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
No. It's simply illustrative that HP in D&D are metagame information.

The OP defined metagame information and asked for games which may or may not use it to a greater or lesser degree. Metagame was defined as making decisions as a character without the information that character would have.

I provided the information a player has:

You're standing on a bridge leaning on your spear. You're tired and got a sore back from having slept badly on rough ground. You've got a vivid bruise on your right arm and scraped knuckles on that hand.

A player can make a reasoned and well-informed decision about the health and wellbeing of this character with just this information in Runequest 2. In Runequest 3. In Apocalypse World. In FATE. In Call of Cthulhu. In Traveller. In Pendragon. In Dogs in the Vineyard. In Sorcerer. In the Riddle of Steel. In Warhammer FRP. In game after game after game.

You need to know your character history to figure it out? Sorry, bud, your character got amnesia. Makes no odds to accurately playing their health in all the systems above. But how many D&D hit points do you have now? How do you feel right now? Or does your amnesiac character forget their hitpoints?
Ah, you've confused abstract for meta

You're still playing games with your scene framing. You're pretending that's all the information you have. But, you actually are using more information than what's in your frame by choosing game systems that hapoen to have more precise definitions of injury. That doesn't make hitpoints meta -- hitpoints don't becone meta because other systems use more precise quantization of harm. That's not how meta works. Hitponts are just more abstract than thise other systems. You've confused a more abstract system for being meta.

And, the real silliness of this is that it's an attempt to prove that D&D incorporates meta play as a baseline. There are lots of good options to show this, but you've locked down on insisting on hitponts to prove the point.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
That entire world in D&D is presumed magical. You are trying to apply a modernist mindset that distinguishes between the mundane and the magical to a world that presumes a premodern worldview wherein the supernatural, magical, and irrational are infused into everything of the cosmos. Everything. In such a worldview, whether you are playing 0E-5E, there is no "just a mundane person" in this world. The supernatural infuses every fiber of the world, and this is abundantly evident in the Great Wheel and D&D's other various cosmologies.

That's not true. In D&D a rock is just a rock, but an earth elemental is magical. A tree is just a tree, but a treant is magical. A person is just a normal mundane person, but a wizard uses magic. And so on. There's lots of magic in the D&D world, but the world itself is not magical as a whole. This holds true even with the other planes. If your PC went to Hell and encountered a river of lava, that lava would be mundane lava, not magical lava.

And therein is my problem. Others and I have a different vision and conception of "the world they are playing in," wherein abilities like Second Wind and Action Surge are plausible from the perspective of in-character choice and their worldview.

Clearly! You've added magic to everything, where the game itself doesn't have it.

Remove ads