OSR/older D&D and XP from gold - is there a "proper" alternative? - Page 7
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
    What is the motivation with the PC's?

Did a NPC hire the group to eliminate monsters in the area?

Are the PC's wanting to clear an area of monsters to build/protect their fiefdom?

Here collecting gold (for its XP value) is not the goal.

I have had PC's wanting to go hoard robbing to help finance the castle/fiefdom creating.

I have had paladins going to quests (to find their sword, horse, etc.) so gold is not the object of their adventure.

I have had wizards going on quests to find magical tomes to increase their spells.

I have had clerics adventure to destroy those of faiths not of theirs.

I have had thieves and fighters who wanted the gold.

Giving XP only for killing an adversary is a job for the warriors, so the other classes loses out.

While some XP should be group awarded, some should be individually awarded.

Group XP for;
    "defeating" the monsters/obstacles,
    treasure(s) collected (magical & non-magical ie. coins...)

Individual XP for;
    "role playing" one's PC.

I find that for experience points, having it balanced between the various methods of earning XP is in everyone's best interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Salthorae View Post
    Agreed that this can lead to problems. I was in a TBT game where the DM tried to revive gold = XP, but it blew up because of this kind of stuff. People pocketing gems etc and keeping them for themselves, and my PC was super Cha and was able to parley that into special deals with nobles etc to gain gp on the side which the DM awarded for as well. So I outpaced everyone because of my stats and RP.
    So why did you let the GM run the game that way rather than set him straight that the XPs gained for obtaining treasure should be equally shared? The problem wasn't XP for gold, but allowing the PCs to compete in a non-competitive game.

Quote Originally Posted by Ancalagon View Post
    So... what why I don't like it. What I would like to learn is if there are good alternatives that are "osr/old school appropriate" to gold as XP out there?

thanks,
    Gold as XP means you can trade your treasure for XP. The local merchant is the best place to get XP in such a game, after sneaking past monsters to collect all the treasure you can.

I prefer XP for roleplaying, which simply means each role (class) gains XP for the unique way each class is designed to be mastered. Become a master roleplayer in your class and your gaming piece will increase in class-related abilities (as presumably the player has increased in ability at playing that class's game in D&D).

There are many different ways to improve at playing an actual game, four of which are included in D&D. However, only three really have underlying systems for players to master (and really only two and a half ever finished in early published D&D). These different roles are:

1. Gaming (fighting-man) - manipulate the game design seeking game-related objectives which improve your standing within.

2. Puzzle Solving (magic-user) - manipulate the game design in order to discover more and more of the underlying design of the game.

3. System Balancing (cleric) - think like a game designer and attempt to balance the game as an operational system in one of three ways (one of which the player must declare): growth cycling, equilibrium balancing, or death spiral system collapse.

4. Resource Acquisition (thief) - this is not a separate game system itself within the underlying game, but a basic action of it. Therefore this is a simpler class to play with less difficulty to master. To focus it and make it harder, I only reward for treasure gained that is stolen property from something in the game guarding it.

What this does is set up individual scoring and personal objective selection as D&D originally was designed. It also sets up cooperation as the obviously best strategy. However there is an additional challenge when gaming with any player seeking to improve in an alternate class, what I think is called orthogonal conflict. Overcoming these in order to cooperate is so beneficial to all parties cooperation becomes a learned skill between players as they struggle to become a team with wholly different world focuses. It is as much a challenge (and enjoyable reward!) as mastering the actual game designs set for each of the chosen roles.

Lastly, when you take XP out of gold then treasure (game resources) become their own rewards and differ in value depending on the roles played and strategies chosen. You can play at any level with no resources or tons (there is a technical system limit), but balancing resources in the game design (campaign world, module, monster's treasure, etc) remains vitally important.
    Last edited by howandwhy99; Thursday, 26th July, 2018 at 02:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by billd91 View Post
    So why did you let the GM run the game that way rather than set him straight that the XPs gained for obtaining treasure should be equally shared? The problem wasn't XP for gold, but allowing the PCs to compete in a non-competitive game.
    Well I did warn the DM and tell him what it SHOULD, but I wasn't DM, it wasn't my game, and that is specifically how the DM wanted to run the system... and then the game blew up like I'd already warned him...

Quick Reply Quick Reply