Some fun stats!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Since installing Google Analytics a few years ago my site has had over 150M views by over 21M people. Those numbers stagger me. Well over half a million individual readers each month contributing millions of monthly pageviews. I don't know where they all come from!

So far this year we've posted 552 total articles by 37 authors. I myself wrote only 155 of those articles. The columnists are amazing.

Readers are 85% male. Biggest age group is 25-34 (42%) followed by 18-24 (38%). That's over the total period of measurement.

Interests are (in order): Gamers, Movie Lovers, hardcore Gamers, Roleplaying Game Fans, Fast Food Cravers (?!?), Technophiles, Music Lovers, Comics & Animation Fans, Value Shoppers, and then Shutterbugs (whatever that is).

Geography is 60% USA, 8% UK, 8% Canada, 4% Australia, 2% Brazil, 2% Germany, then lots of <1.% countries.

tomBitonti

Adventurer
Interests are (in order): Gamers, Movie Lovers, hardcore Gamers, Roleplaying Game Fans, Fast Food Cravers (?!?), Technophiles, Music Lovers, Comics & Animation Fans, Value Shoppers, and then Shutterbugs (whatever that is).

Huh. I wonder how Google can deduce those categories, unless they either understand what folks are looking at on this site, or are doing cross-site associations. (I presume that they do both of these things.)

My guess is that Fast Food Lovers are folks who frequently eat American style fast food, and Shutterbugs are either folks who are into photography and have invested in medium to high end photography equiptment, or are folks who like to take (and post) pictures, which is very easy now to do with phones and tablets.

Did some searching and found this:

http://nathanbeddome.com/the-ultimate-guide-to-google-analytics-demographic-and-interest-reports/ said:
Google defines the Affinity Categories as broad content categories that identify users in terms of their lifestyles. It is no surprise that the top affinity category for a news publishing site is “News Junkies & Avid Readers.”

This has a bit more detail:

https://www.venturestream.co.uk/blo...nalytics-affinity-categories-market-segments/

I was able to find a (long) list of market segments, but haven't found a full list of Affinity Categories or definitions for these. :.-(

TomB

Remove ads