I hate death saves. Propose your solution.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
So I hate death saves and want death to occur at 0 hp. Propose your solutions. Critique mine. Have fun.

My current favorite is level 1 hp = 2*MaxClassHP + Con Mod. Every level after that works as normal. No death saves. Die at 0 hp.

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
I really like the system proposed by the Angry DM. Basically in addition to Hit Points you have Vitality Points that you only get at first level and then increases only when you would get an ASI or Feat (making multiclassing that much more of a risk).

Basically once you hit 0 HP you are in Vitality Points. While at 0 HP you have a new condition called Dispirited. Essentially, you get a level of exhaustion, you have disadvantage on attack rolls, and enemies have advantage on saving throws made against your abilities. It creates a neat little in-between space. Rather than being full up or down, you have this middle ground where offense becomes very weak, but you can still act defensively and retreat if necessary.

Once you hit 0 Vitality Points, you die. No save or death save.

stoneagewar3

First Post
So I hate death saves and want death to occur at 0 hp. Propose your solutions. Critique mine. Have fun.

My current favorite is level 1 hp = 2*MaxClassHP + Con Mod. Every level after that works as normal. No death saves. Die at 0 hp.

I do something similar, although I still allow death saves, each failed save is a semi-permanent -1 to an ability score of the player’s choice (and they need to give a narrative that fits once the character is up again)
The players can declare their character dead any time they are making death saves, it takes 3 consecutive failures to die, and it takes 3 consecutive saves to stabilize on your own, if you have an ally tending you, it takes 3 total saves to stabilize.
I admit death is harder to come by, but my players would start healing or look for ways to break contact at half hp

FrogReaver

I really like the system proposed by the Angry DM. Basically in addition to Hit Points you have Vitality Points that you only get at first level and then increases only when you would get an ASI or Feat (making multiclassing that much more of a risk).

Basically once you hit 0 HP you are in Vitality Points. While at 0 HP you have a new condition called Dispirited. Essentially, you get a level of exhaustion, you have disadvantage on attack rolls, and enemies have advantage on saving throws made against your abilities. It creates a neat little in-between space. Rather than being full up or down, you have this middle ground where offense becomes very weak, but you can still act defensively and retreat if necessary.

Once you hit 0 Vitality Points, you die. No save or death save.

Curious how many vitality points are given at level 1 and per level?

FrogReaver

I do something similar, although I still allow death saves, each failed save is a semi-permanent -1 to an ability score of the player’s choice (and they need to give a narrative that fits once the character is up again)
The players can declare their character dead any time they are making death saves, it takes 3 consecutive failures to die, and it takes 3 consecutive saves to stabilize on your own, if you have an ally tending you, it takes 3 total saves to stabilize.
I admit death is harder to come by, but my players would start healing or look for ways to break contact at half hp

Doesn't work for me. I want insta death again... not some slow death spiral that's going to have a player willfully retire a character instead of just having that character die a glorious death.

Tony Vargas

Legend
That's a solution, by itself. Death at 0. Be careful out there. Heal proactively. Maybe add some more sources of temp hps.

How are you going to manage KOs? Attacker's choice at 0?

And what about the old 'left for dead' trope?

FrogReaver

Same as hit points. You just get them at level one and then again on levels with AS Is.

He gives a semi significant amount of extra hp called vitality points it seems. To try and compensate for that he adds in a negative status that triggers when in vitality points. Wouldn't it be better to add less extra hitpoints (regardless of what we call them) and not have the need to compensate with a negative status at all?

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
He gives a semi significant amount of extra hp called vitality points it seems. To try and compensate for that he adds in a negative status that triggers when in vitality points. Wouldn't it be better to add less extra hitpoints (regardless of what we call them) and not have the need to compensate with a negative status at all?

The idea is that entering into Vitality Points signals to players that it is time to switch from offense to defense and survival mode. Currently, there is no difference between having full HP or 1 HP, a player functions exactly the same. But then, for some reason, the difference between 1 and 0 and you suddenly cannot act at all. This creates a weakened state to represent injury and being physically overwhelmed.

FrogReaver

That's a solution, by itself. Death at 0. Be careful out there. Heal proactively. Maybe add some more sources of temp hps.

How are you going to manage KOs? Attacker's choice at 0?

And what about the old 'left for dead' trope?

I'm not aware of this 'left for dead" trop

Attacker's choice sounds good.

Remove ads