Votes: 8 42.1%
  • Fantasy Grounds

Votes: 9 47.4%

• Poll closed .

Kobold Boots

Banned
Banned
Hello All -

Writing to get a sanity check regarding available VTT.

I'm looking to include a virtual table top for use with my next campaign; as I've got the need to run some folks via standard table, and some remotely.

Use Cases/Criteria

1. Session with all players using VTT
2. Session with all players at table. (VTT unnecessary but may use with a projector or LCD table to keep track of combat.)
3. Session with some players remote and some at table.
4. Going to run 5e.
5. Assume I've got the cash to buy stuff; but like everyone in the world, like to avoid it until necessary.
6. My style is 50% combat/50% roleplay and there are some sessions that are all combat and some that are almost all rp.
7. I'm a tech guy that does infrastructure as code and devsecops. Learning a tool isn't a big deal. Hackability of the tool would be a plus.

I've attached a poll to get a general idea of what people who do use VTT are using; but any feedback I can get about people's experiences would be fantastic to see and appreciated.

Be well,
KB

So for a VTT solution, particularly when everybody is on the VTT, almost any one will probably do well enough. I like Maptool due to its programmability, but it does lack in ease of use. Roll20 is pretty adequate, but very easy to use. I have not tried FantasyGrounds.

When you have some participants local and some virtual, however, there can be a big discrepancy in the feeling of presence and connectedness of the virtual players. To help bridge that, it is best to use a video chat (not just voice chat) software, in addition to the VTT. I prefer Jitsi for this, but you can use Skype, Hangouts, Oovoo, or whatever.

Tallifer

Hero
I use roll20 for the visuals BUT their sound connexion is not nearly as convenient or reliable as Google+ Hangouts: so we use both simultaneously.

cmad1977

Hero
I use roll20 for the visuals BUT their sound connexion is not nearly as convenient or reliable as Google+ Hangouts: so we use both simultaneously.

Yeah. We use discord and roll20. Handy as discord allows me to use my phone to talk and my computer for the other stuff. Let’s me stand, walk or interact with things that aren’t right next to me.

I use FG. Did a pretty in depth set of research and evaluation when I made my decision in May 2015. Still happy with my choice.

Use Cases/Criteria

1. Session with all players using VTT
2. Session with all players at table. (VTT unnecessary but may use with a projector or LCD table to keep track of combat.)
3. Session with some players remote and some at table.
I use FG in all three situations regularly. As said, in a mixed environment it's nice to have a webcam for video of the people, but not required.
4. Going to run 5e.
5. Assume I've got the cash to buy stuff; but like everyone in the world, like to avoid it until necessary.
Be aware, last time I checked Roll20 still not have all the WotC 5E products available. FG has them all (and are released at the WPN early dates), and they are 40% off MSRP, which Roll20 still charges full price for them.

You don't actually have to have the FG versions of the books/etc, you can enter things manually, just what you need.
6. My style is 50% combat/50% roleplay and there are some sessions that are all combat and some that are almost all rp.
7. I'm a tech guy that does infrastructure as code and devsecops. Learning a tool isn't a big deal. Hackability of the tool would be a plus.
The biggest con to FG is the client-server architecture, which means your network has to allow IPv4 port 1802 connection to your host computer. To a tech guy that shouldn't be a big deal. Plus their are lots of folks who can help if needed.

I don't think you can hack Roll20 at all, since it's hosted. Most functions of FG are open and can be modified using XML and LUA and their is an active community that does all sorts of extensions. So their is a lot there to draw from, plus lots of people (including the devs) who help out with extensions.

There where 3 main reasons I chose FG;
- Active, friendly and supportive community. IMO much more so than any of the others (as of May '15).
- Full 5E support, still the best 5E support (automation, customization, and products)
- Client-server architecture. SaaS can be great for a company, but for my gaming stuff I have no interest in all the stuff I create being dependent upon someone else's servers. I still want access to everything I've created in the last 3 years and in the next 30. I have no faith Roll20 will still be around then. And I sure as heck don't want to be paying a monthly subscription for 30 years.

Chris633

Explorer
I complete agree with everything LordEntrails said. I used roll20 when I first made the move to online gaming. But eventually I went Fantasy Grounds (get the ultimate license) and have never looked back. It makes running the game so much easier. Combat moves so much faster because everything is automated. It’s capable of a lot more than roll20 and has full 5E support. Plus they are working on another edition that is only going to make it even better.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
I got some of my friends on to VTT play when WoTC were testing their own VTT as part of DDI (4e period) and when they canned that and my group decided that they did not like 4e I looked at a lot of alternatives. I tried them on Maptools but they decided it was too complex to learn and setup.
Then Roll20 came out so we adopted but changed to FantasyGrounds when it got official WoTC licencing.
Have not regretted the move.

I think it fantastic from a DM perspective. I have never tried a VTT at a live game nor a mixed environment game.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
On fees:

You pay more for using FG, but get a discount on WotC stuff.

You pay much less for R20, but also pay full print price fir WotC stuff.

I do Roll20. It works very well, especially if you're willing to do some work learning the API script interface. The API scripts let's you do quite a lot of customization and automation. The lack of overhead means a faster "get to the game" and let's you hack your own tools pretty freely. It also has an amazing community.

Chris633

Explorer
Fantasy Grounds does have a higher up front cost. However they do have pretty frequent sales which includes for the licenses. I think I got mine for 25% off. Their forum community also produces a lot of mods for the program which makes using it even better. There is also a demo version you can download and play around with. You won’t be able to save anything but you can get a feel.

Hussar

Legend
I use Fantasy Grounds, but, I have to admit, I really have a love/hate relationship with it.

Sure, as a DM, you get fantastic tools. Really great stuff for getting up and running.

On the downside though, it's unbelievably expensive for what you get. I mean, an ultimate license is going to run you 150 bucks, another 150 bucks (maybe 100 depending on the discounts you get) for the core three books means that this is a 200-300 dollar program. Tack on a couple of extra books and you're looking at a 4-500 dollar program.

This is NOT a 300 dollar program.

Remove ads