The Expanse RPG by Green Ronan

So who is looking forward to this and who plans to actually run a campaign?

Currently I am almost through the third book and I am definitely looking forward to the games release at Gen Con. I have several ideas floating through my head for campaigns from military special ops to independent mercenaries, etc etc.

What ideas do other people have?

Jhaelen

First Post
So, some quick googling seems to indicate this will use rules based on Green Ronin's d20 variant system?

I've only read the first novel and haven't watched the tv show, yet, so I'm not sure if that's a good fit.
What is it that makes the Expanse setting unique?

Unique? Decent story, and kind of cool that the books came from a group of guys who were playing a RPG. The books are a portion at least of their campaign (dont know what system they used).

The books do a fairly decent job of sticking with what at least appears to be scientifically accurate. Ships accelerate towards a destination and then flip around to decelerate. The theoretical results of being born and living in low gravity are considered. Also has a pretty appealing story line.

I have never used the Green Roman d20 variant system. Why do you think it is a bad fit?

Jhaelen

First Post
I have never used the Green Roman d20 variant system. Why do you think it is a bad fit?
Oh dear, now the Ronin has mutated into a Roman :p
I need to know more about the setting to tell if it's a bad fit - that's why I asked. Some important factors are the default tech level, the importance of space travel and the number and nature of alien species.

But it's definitely interesting that its roots are an RPG campaign. In that case it would probably make sense to use an RPG system that is close to the one used in the original campaign. If it's true that it was a d20 Future campaign, then Green Ronin's True20 system should be a fairly good match.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
So, some quick googling seems to indicate this will use rules based on Green Ronin's d20 variant system?

I've only read the first novel and haven't watched the tv show, yet, so I'm not sure if that's a good fit.

The AGE system isn't a d20 system.

Jhaelen

First Post
So really not sure where this d20 variant thing is coming from.
Well, the article mentions, it'll be using the same system as the Blue Rose RPG. And the wikipedia article about the Blue Rose RPG says:
The game uses a derivative of the D20 system, called True20. Blue Rose won the Gen Con ENWorld Roleplaying Silver Medal for Best Rules in 2005.[1] Green Ronin subsequently released True20 as a separate system without a setting and genre neutral.

Unfortunately, that's where I stopped reading. Because the next sentence says:
In early 2015 Green Ronin President Chris Pramas announced the company would Kickstart a new edition of the game using the Adventure Game Engine, the same ruleset used in the Dragon Age tabletop RPG.[3]

So, it was a misunderstanding.

The AGE system uses 3d6 and when you roll doubles you gain stunt points to use on some kind of maneuver. And that's pretty much all I know about the system :p

So no one around here is planning on getting the books or playing the game. That does not bode well for me getting a campaign going at my local hobby shop.

Remove ads