Does immunity to Charm prevent other enchantment spells?

Otterscrubber

First Post
Being immune to the charm condition keeps you from being charmed per the condition, but does it also imply an immunity to other compulsion effects like Geas, Suggestion, Command or Dominate (Person,Monster)?

**Edit: I understand that some spells like suggestion make it clear that if they are immune to charm then they are immune to that spell. I guess what I'm asking is does immunity to charm imply immunity to other mind affecting powers if the spell or ability doesn't specify it as a "charm"?

Last edited:

Satyrn

First Post
I think your edit lays out the logic that leads to jasper and cmad's emphatic answers.

Since those other spells don't impose the charmed condition, and have no language that discuss an interaction with charm immunity, I see no reason to extend such immunity to those spells, either.

jgsugden

Legend
By general rules, enchantments are not inheretly impacted by an immunity to charm... but most are due to the language of the enchantments. Of your example spells, only command functions normally on a creature immune to charm.

Many spells, like dominate person, specify "while you are charmed" - meaning that you may have an active dominate spell on the target, but the spell has no impact as the target is immune to the charm condition, and the dominate features only work on the charmed target. Geas and the dominate spells both have this feature.

However, under RAW, enchantments like command are no impacted by immunity to charm.

Staffan

Legend
[MENTION=2629]jgsugden[/MENTION] is pretty much right. Many enchantment spells use the format "must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw or be charmed for the duration. While charmed in this way, ______________". If you're immune to the charmed condition, you would not be affected by such a spell (unless it has multiple effects - for example, I could imagine a spell that charmed you and gave you some form of buff, and in such a case the buff would remain unless it was specifically tied to the charm condition).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases