WOIN Examples of customized gear in NEW appear to have wrong costs

Steven Barker

First Post
Several (or maybe all) of the examples of customized items in the "Special Items" chapter of N.E.W. seem to be mispriced. At least, they don't follow the rules given in the earlier chapter about customizing weapons and armor. This is the rule they seem to be breaking:
A customization must match quality with the item being upgraded, along with standard attached quality price increases - if an exceptional quality rifle is being customized, the cost of each upgrade is multiplied by 5 with an additional 250cr on top.

Two items that I checked specifically are the Evolved Combat Suit and the Grasshopper pistol. Both are much cheaper than they should be.

The Evolved Combat Suit's cost appears to have been calculated without increasing the cost of the upgrades to match the quality of the armor they were being added to. If all five upgrades had their qualities increased to mastercraft, the total price of the armor would be 190500, rather than the much more modest 45750 shown in the book.

The Grasshopper is a little stranger. If the same mistake was made (leaving the upgrades at base cost), then it's 150 credits too expensive. Perhaps it was calculated with a base cost of 150 for a sonic pistol instead of 100? In any case, it should cost 8100 if the upgrades are of high quality and the base price of the pistol is fixed.

I've not checked the rest of the items, except to notice that the Sollustran Helm is already cheaper than a standard Psi-scram helmet, even before any upgrades or quality changes are applied.

Steven Barker

First Post
You are correct! I think you're the first person to notice that!
I did the math because I was considering buying a Grasshopper for a starting character (who was going to have 2k credits and the ability to get stolen gear for half price from his starting exploits). I wanted to try to remake it with a better base gun (since sonic weapons seem inexplicably terrible) and found it should be a lot more expensive.

If you ever do a more exhaustive pass over the prices of gear, there are a few other items that seem oddly priced. Among the issues is that there are a few exotic weapons that have completely dominant alternatives (so smart players will never pick them). The MicroCo JO40 Stingfury Tachyon Autopistol, for instance, is worse than the Outerwide-Overwatch Syndicate PI2 Electron Autopistol in every way that they differ (more expensive, less damage, less range, higher advancement level).

Remove ads