D&D 5E The Art of Ravnica

Zardnaar

Legend
Kind of a spin off from another thread. Back in t he day I used to play MtG but my reaction to 4E actually had me boycotting WoTC product for a few years as I used to spend a lot on MtG, 3.5 and the minis line. I recently played MtG again as one of my nephews plays and I taught him some tricks but he knows most of them but deck manipulation and library thinning I could give him some pointers. Anyway MtG has had really good art for a long time almost oing back to when AD&D was legal but I think they knocked it out of the Park with Ravnica which was which was different from the preceding Kamigawa block. To put this into context MtG had 5E type art in 2005 while 3.5 had those poo brown covers with the samll window on them and Pathfinder and later 4E tended to have terible cover art argueably worse than the AD&D ones from 1989 and 1995.

Anyway some google Fu.
https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=B...cAhXBS7wKHalnDq0Q7Al6BAgDEA0&biw=1920&bih=898

Also a few images from when I played Ravnica back in the day. I think I may pick up the Ravnica book. Its got to be better than Dragonlance and Ravenloft right?

Teling Time card art circa 2006 IIRC Guildpact set. Guildpact was one of the Ravnica block sets.

98774_200w.jpg

The art off Flooded Grove the G/U (Simic Guild)land. In 5E terms perhaps a coastal Druids home. In MtG even land and some basic land cards look great now.

29881.jpg

Orzhov Basilica art (W/B guild), a Ravenloft type vibe perhaps.

1000_Orzhov-Basilica.jpg

Razia Boros Archeangel (R/W Guild). Boros is basically the security forces of Ravnica. Not the best art perhaps but an example of a MtG archangel.
899eac1ffa59b84c3b01ed626362bb4e.jpg

Dimir Guildmage art. Dimir is the U/B guild known for its vampires, sneakiness and shadow type stuff. Think Shar's cultists from FR perhaps.

DaEG4CTUwAAmc2a.jpg

A few examples of decade+ old mtg art from Ravnica. Brings back memories, Ravnica was probably my favourite MtG set and standard legal MtG meta.

Last edited:

Josiah Stoll

First Post
Theros and Kaladesh have some gorgeous art, but I think I agree with you. I think I’d represent the Boros as all having the same Paladin oath, or maybe being Battlemaster fighters.
470d8bdf408ce944bdfecf5d0b9ec09b.png

The Izzet probably deserve their own warlock pact, maybe something that lets them risk taking damage increase damage output.
b645b071cda7556e745dcf0b37295690.jpg

Staffan

Legend
Theros and Kaladesh have some gorgeous art, but I think I agree with you. I think I’d represent the Boros as all having the same Paladin oath, or maybe being Battlemaster fighters.

The Izzet probably deserve their own warlock pact, maybe something that lets them risk taking damage increase damage output.

I don't know. Each guild has a wide variety of folks in them. The Izzet guild is pretty Wizard-heavy, I'll grant you. Though I'd represent them with D&D wizards - they don't get power from an outside source, but though experimentation, study, and experimentation. Oh, and sooo many experiments.

But take the Boros Legion for example. They are an army, and armies have many different types of troops. Looking at the cards, the following class-type creature types are represented: soldier, wizard, cleric, berserker, knight. Similarly, the Selesnya Conclave has: knight, warrior, cleric, soldier, archer, shaman. So while each guild has a particular role in the city, and a particular outlook on life, that role and outlook is expressed in a variety of manners.

Josiah Stoll

First Post
So maybe it would be a better plan to make each guild like a background or something? Or like those cool Faction Traits you can get in Pathfinder?

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
I thought they said guilds would be like backgrounds, and a hook to an npc contact. Will research later.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases