13: ???
14: ???
15: ???
16: ???
17: That one that lets a Wizard cast 1st and second level spells as cantrips
18: ???
19: ???
20: ???

Can you tell I don't play much high level?

Dausuul

Legend
Your party must be literally all ranged characters.
Nope. At one point the party was two-thirds melee. And I mean dedicated melee; a glaive-wielding* hexblade and a barbarian. (The hexblade died after a nasty encounter in the Abyss with a swarm of ghouls and gnolls, coupled with some very bad luck on death saves.)

We still had trouble collecting the bonus. Between flying/teleporting enemies, terrain hazards, and trying to avoid getting swarmed (e.g., by the aforementioned ghouls and gnolls), PCs in our party are constantly on the move. You could catch the hexblade and barbarian close together when they were focusing fire on a big enemy, but seldom otherwise. And as for the third PC, an archer ranger, you won't catch her going within a mile of anything else on the battlefield if she can help it.

[size=-2]*Actually a meteor hammer; we used glaive stats and switched the damage type.[/size]

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Unfortunately, you're still limited by minor illusion: An object (not a creature) that fits in a 5-foot cube. It's still very useful, but the inability to create creatures puts a serious crimp in it.

I create a statue of a halfling, wearing actual clothing and holding an actual weapon. It's a halfling with stoneskin cast on it, run! :)

Last edited:

Satyrn

First Post
I creature a statue of a halfling, wearing actual clothing and holding an actual weapon. It's a halfling with stoneskin cast on it, run! :)

And you'd die of embarrassment if anyone ever learned you fled from a halfling . . . okay so minor illusion is indeed a killer spell!

Quartz

Hero
Am I misreading the Paladin's aura as having a radius of 10 or 30 feet or is it a diameter of 10 or 30 feet? Because the former would obviate the dragon breath issue at high levels.

CapnZapp

Legend
Action Surge is amazing. But in terms of power at 2nd level, I go with the moon druid's wildshape. Its crazy strong at that level.
Short term maybe.

Long term, the power of Action Surge only grows with your power.

Meanwhile Wildshape is incompatible with most best class abilities (your claws doesn't count as a greatweapon... can't cast spells...)

So maybe at level 2 and level 2 only...

smbakeresq

Explorer
Not a feature but getting herbalism kit proficiency leads to 5 gp herbalism kit use which leads to Healer feat healing large amounts of HP at minuscule cost. You can also make potions at half price, which can help the parties in many ways.

Like Find Familiar, it requires work and imagination but leads to so many things it’s just great but low key.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
The game I am running has a Paladin with the aura of protection and it's crazy good. There is almost always at least 1 other PC in range - although not as much as the paladin's player would like.

Remove ads