WOIN WOIN NEW Combat System

mike0liver121

First Post
Can anyone point me towards a tutorial for this? It's probably me being dense but I find the combat system hard to follow as written in the rules.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I’m not aware of a tutorial. What is it you’re struggling with? Hopefully I can help!

mike0liver121

First Post
OK, that's good of you - I gather you are probably the author, so I do appreciate the attention you are giving my query. The trouble is that, reading through the text, I keep finding myself saying "what does that mean?" Just to give one example: "Spending attack dice is important"; my question is "what does "spending" mean here?" Does it mean that I "spend" dice from the pool to see if I hit by rolling them? Or do I exchange them for some other activity? Spending on Damage - apparently, I should retain some of my Attack dice to use for increasing the damage my hit does. I am supposed to "spend" two dice for each extra die of damage I wish to do. What does "spend" mean here?

I sort of stopped reading here until I could clarify the intention - in case I became further confused by not having understood this aspect. A worked example would have been useful, so the process could be followed closely but I couldn't find one. I shall carry on reading and keep an eye open for any reply you can provide.

Finally, I'd like to say that I love the mechanisms used - the character development particularly - and the fact that I can fit it to my own story line. I am currently preparing a scenario for my grandsons and have purchased a number of items via the Drivethru RPG site. I amusing NBOS's Astrosynthesis and Profantasy's Campaign Cartographer to produce the maps, plans and locations for the scenario.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Spending a dice means removing it from your dice pool.

For example, if you are rolling 6d6 and you want to spend 2d6 on extra damage, you roll 4d6 instead.

mike0liver121

First Post
As a further insight to the nature of my confusion, here's how I think a ranged attack (maybe with a handgun of some kind) should go:

1) Form a dice pool for, say, an AGI attribute test. The character gets 3D6 for the attribute, 2D6 for skill with the gun, and 1D6 for the weapon itself, totalling 6D6. Let's say this matches his maximum pool and there are no deductions for range, cover, etc.

2) (Confusion here because I may not yet have read the appropriate section of the rule book) The GM sets a difficulty level of 13 to hit (does he? or is there some other way of determining what score is needed to hit?).

3) The character decides to use, say, 4D6 to see if he hits which gives him just over a 50% chance of success, retaining (spending?) 2D6 to provide 1D6 of extra damage. If the attack fails (scores less than 13) the other 2D6 are not used because no damage is done.

I have no idea if I have interpreted the rules correctly but that seems to me to be what is suggested by the rule book. I am sure that, ultimately, I shall see I am just being dense but, right now, I have no idea if I am way off or close to understanding. At least this way, more experienced characters will have more dice to play with in combat.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
You’ve understood it correctly!

The number he needs to hit is the target creature’s RANGED DEFENCE score.

mike0liver121

First Post
Spending a dice means removing it from your dice pool.

For example, if you are rolling 6d6 and you want to spend 2d6 on extra damage, you roll 4d6 instead.

That fits with what I thought - I have provided some additional info in a new post that may throw some more light on things. If you can find the time to respond to that, I think I shall be able to make progress. Thanks for the help.

mike0liver121

First Post
You’ve understood it correctly!

The number he needs to hit is the target creature’s RANGED DEFENCE score.

Ah, that does start to slot things in place. I hadn't realised the Ranged Defence score gave the score to be made. I shall leave you alone for a while and do some more reading. I do appreciate your help and, as a game designer (miniatures wargaming) I also appreciate the effort you have put into WOIN.

Remove ads