Polymorph transformation

Toledo

Explorer
I've got a new L2 Sorcerer in our second week of a new campaign. Our previous sorcerers have usually went with direct damage type spells, so I'm planning ahead for a different type of sorcerer, focusing on spells like Phantasmal Force and Polymorph.

When I reach level 7 and can take Polymorph, I think it is legal for me to turn into a young Copper Dragon. The key interpretative segment is that the maximum level change goes to Character Level if there is no specific Challenge Rating. Since as a character, I've not been able to find a Challenge Rating equivalent, would you agree that transforming in a young dragon is per the rules?

thanks

I've got a new L2 Sorcerer in our second week of a new campaign. Our previous sorcerers have usually went with direct damage type spells, so I'm planning ahead for a different type of sorcerer, focusing on spells like Phantasmal Force and Polymorph.

When I reach level 7 and can take Polymorph, I think it is legal for me to turn into a young Copper Dragon. The key interpretative segment is that the maximum level change goes to Character Level if there is no specific Challenge Rating. Since as a character, I've not been able to find a Challenge Rating equivalent, would you agree that transforming in a young dragon is per the rules?

thanks

As mentioned, Polymorph is restricted to Beasts. Your best form at level 7 is normally the Giant Ape.

On a side note, you're usually better off casting polymorph on another character instead of yourself. To take advantage of the new form's attack options you usually have to be in melee, which means you will get hit and have to make concentration saves. Polymorphing someone else and hanging back reduces the chance of the spell ending early due to loss of concentration.

G

Guest 6801328

Or, in the case of a Sorcerer, polymorphing two friends and then hanging back.

Toledo

Explorer
Wow, thanks all...I didn't notice the beasts provision! That makes a big deal, I'll have to talk to the DM about this.

Sadly, in talking ahead with the group I play with, they don't want their characters to be polymorphed. Maybe I can convince the DM to let me polymorph into monsters also, at the cost of some feats.

Remove ads