Yawning Portal For Eberron

collin

Explorer
Soon I will be starting an Eberron campaign on Fantasy Grounds (the Wayfarer's Guide is available for FG now, for anyone interested) and I am going to at least start with Tales from the Yawning Portal (meaning I will be running at least Sunken Citadel and Forge of Fury, and then we'll see where it goes).

The purpose of this thread will be to address Eberron specific issues in Yawning Portal. I am hoping for lots of perspectives and collective brainstorming, so feel free to chime in with whatever you got!

As it relates to the titular inn, where should the Yawning Portal be located? The obvious answer is Sharn, of course, but is there an Eberron city better suited or more appropriately located? Do you need the YP at all, and if not what would you do for a framing sequence/HQ in Eberron?

Thanks.

You're right in that Sharn is the obvious choice, and probably the best choice. If you really want to break from the obvious, then the next best place I can think of to place the Yawning Portal is in Karrlakton in Karrnath.

Reynard

Legend
Goblins are viable PCs in Eberron. They are also commonly stock enemies.

What goblin factions or other setting information should I use to square these 2 issues?

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Goblins are viable PCs in Eberron. They are also commonly stock enemies.

What goblin factions or other setting information should I use to square these 2 issues?
This link is relevant.

I'd say making the goblins in the citadel either Ghaal'dar or exiled city goblins, depending on exactly where you want to put the Citadel.

Reynard

Legend
This link is relevant.

I'd say making the goblins in the citadel either Ghaal'dar or exiled city goblins, depending on exactly where you want to put the Citadel.
Thanks.

I am actually going to use New Cyre in place of Oakhurst I think, just bvb to immediately inject the post Last War setting.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
I'm running Forge of Fury as an ancient Dhaakani forge just across the Byeshk mountains that holds the secret to making Byeshk hold an edge. They've been dealing with cultists who've been using the weapons that their Cannith contact insists should not possibly be able to exist; they'll help some Dhaakani revivalists re-take the place from the demon-worshipping Orcs and the Mind-Flayer controller Duergar inside

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
The Yawning Portal is itself could be an inn located just about anywhere in Khorvaire but if you intend to have a large dungeon like Halaster underneath, then it should be any place at ground level at least, for a place like Sharn so the dungeon levels can be in isolated part of the Cogs and Khyber below.

As a linking plot device The Yawning Portal tavern is about as feeble as they come. I have used individual adventures from the book, but I would never tie them together in that way.

Reynard

Legend
As a linking plot device The Yawning Portal tavern is about as feeble as they come. I have used individual adventures from the book, but I would never tie them together in that way.
I don't think I am going to bother using the Portal as a central element but they may visit it. I am more interested at this point in how to make the Citadel and the Forge very Eberronesque.

Remathilis

Legend
I ran Forge of Fury in my 3.5 Eberron game with the goal being that it was a lost Forge in Darguun that held an important maguffin a disguised raksasha wanted. The creatures in the Forge were evil (corrupted by the artifact) including it's dragon guardian. I ran it pretty stock besides that.

Remove ads