Converting a module from Pathfinder, Monster CR stay the same?

Voadam

Legend
If I want to use a pathfinder module and use 5e rules instead should I just swap in equal CR 5e monsters to the PF ones or is the math conversion for expected challenges different?

Thanks

ccs

41st lv DM
Here's what I do:
If the monster also exists in 5e, then I just plug it in on a 1:1 tatio.
If it doesn't exist in 5e I just eyeball it.
Hd/hp & stats stay the same. As do resistances & imunities.
AC? Sometimes I'll lower it a bit.
#, types, & damage for attacks often stay the same.
I'll recalculate the attack bonus & any save dcs.

It's not an exact science.

If there’s a monster of the same CR, it will generally work fairly well. More or less.
Pathfinder 1 is a little more lenient with monsters being 3 or 4 CR higher than the party, so be wary about that. But 5e parties can be tough when pushed into a corner. And short rest mechanics let them spring back faster from tough fights.

But don’t be afraid to replace a leveled mook humanoid with 2 or 3 humanoids from the Monstre Manual rather than making a unique mook NPC. 5e deals better with lower level monsters being a threat for longer.
For named villains, use an NPC and slap on the monstrous humanoid’s traits.

Zardnaar

Legend
Low levels it's close enough higher levels not so much. RAW 5E can go 6 or 7 CR over party level 3.x Iirc is up to CR +4.

Thinking of running Iron fang Invasion 5E.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
CR means slightly different things in Pathfinder and 5e. I look at the CR of the Pathfinder encounter and determine, based on Pathfinder's guidelines, how great a challenge the encounter is (Easy, Average, Challenging, Hard, Epic). Then I use the Kobold Fight Club calculator to ensure that the encounter is the same difficulty for PCs of the applicable level in 5e.

It's a little more time consuming, but if you want to be consistent I've found it to be the best way.

Note that some creatures have radically different CRs between the games, so beware.

Last edited:

Tormyr

Adventurer
I would recommend looking instead at whatever the CR of the encounter is (Encounter Level in 3.5) and the number of creatures. If your Pathfinder adventure has a CR10 encounter for APL 8 party then make a 5e Medium encounter for as many level 10 PCs are in your party. Your level 8 PCs would then see this as a Hard-Deadly encounter.

What this means is that you balance the number of bad guys as much as what their CR is. If there is an equivalent 5e monster that you have stats for, you can normally just use that stat block and include as many as needed to make a Medium encounter for the desired Encounter CR.

Remove ads