Problem granting XP

Jhaelen

First Post
Since about a week ago, I seem unable to grant XP to other posters. Did something change? Or is it a problem with my browser? I'm using the ESR version of Firefox, and there's been an update...

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
You'll need to be a bit more specific about "unable to grant XP"?

My initial guess is you're sitting too far away from your computer. If you move closer, you will be able to reach the mouse and grant XP. But that's just an initial guess based on the limited information available! :)

tl;dr -- what exactly is the issue you're experiencing?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
To be even more specific - what do you click on to do it, and what do you see when you try?

Jhaelen

First Post
To be even more specific - what do you click on to do it, and what do you see when you try?
I'm clicking on the 'Give XP for this post' entry that is shown at the bottom left of every post.
When hovering over the entry, all I'm seeing is 'javascript//'. When I'm clicking on it, absolutely nothing happens.

Edit: I'm currently running Firefox 60.2.0esr (64-bit). I'm using NoScript 10.1.9.6 and have allowed the following sites:
- enworld.org
- cloudfront.net
- googletagservices.com

Last edited:

Jhaelen

First Post
You'll need to be a bit more specific about "unable to grant XP"?

My initial guess is you're sitting too far away from your computer. If you move closer, you will be able to reach the mouse and grant XP. But that's just an initial guess based on the limited information available! :)

tl;dr -- what exactly is the issue you're experiencing?
Dear Morrus,
I'm a member of ENWorld for almost 12 years now and have been posting over 7700 posts, as is readily apparent by checking the information at the top right of each of my posts.

If your 'initial guess' is supposed to be funny, you failed abominably. In fact I consider it quite insulting. If, instead of posting a flippant reply you'd spent a few seconds checking the facts, you might have found that the last time I've been able to grant xp was on August 31st. I've received over 1000xp and very likely granted a lot more than that to other ENWorld members in all these years. Perhaps that indicates I'm aware how the process works?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Blimey, Jhaelen. Are you OK? Do you not feel that response is overly hostile?

As a long term member, I assumed some familiarity and felt it appropriate to joke with you a little. Clearly a mistake. Noted.

Nagol

Unimportant
I'm clicking on the 'Give XP for this post' entry that is shown at the bottom left of every post.
When hovering over the entry, all I'm seeing is 'javascript//'. When I'm clicking on it, absolutely nothing happens.

Edit: I'm currently running Firefox 60.2.0esr (64-bit). I'm using NoScript 10.1.9.6 and have allowed the following sites:
- enworld.org
- cloudfront.net
- googletagservices.com

This is a real shot in the dark, but my guess would be NoScript has decided to intervene and prevent javascript to control page bloat. Here's an intermediate article on it: https://timkadlec.com/remembers/2018-09-06-chromes-noscript-intervention/

It's also possible you upgraded to 10 in the summer? -- it sort of reversed the domain --> site model compared to 5. Here's an article about that: https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/firefox-noscript-10-guide-1.html

Jhaelen

First Post
It's also possible you upgraded to 10 in the summer? -- it sort of reversed the domain --> site model compared to 5. Here's an article about that: https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/firefox-noscript-10-guide-1.html

[/SIZE][/FONT]
Yes, I did. It's what I was trying to say in my initial post: Due to the initial incompatibility of Firefox Quantum and NoScript, I had switched to Firefox ESR. However, after the latest update in the beginning of September, the ESR version also switched to Quantum and now I have to use the new version of NoScript, as well.

I consider it quite likely this is related to or the source of the problem. Hopefully the article you linked will help me resolve it...

Edit: Thanks, I've been able to fix it now. It's indeed been caused by the changed behavior in the new NoScript!

Last edited:

Jhaelen

First Post
Apparently, there's still some remaining problems. In this post there seems to be an embedded image that's been uploaded to ENWorld. When viewing the thread I'm not seeing anything, and when I try to post the image link into a new tab, I'm getting a cross-site hacking attempt warning. What's up?

Remove ads