Sacred Fist in Waterdeep: Future Subclass?

gyor

Legend
I noticed that the Sacred Fist was mentioned in W: DH.

In past editions Sacred Fist has been a Prestige Class and Paragon Path. Could this be a minor spoiler for the return of the Sacred Fist in the next players rules book, perhaps Volo's Guide To Spirits and Spectres?

Or just monks with an Acolyte background...

Looking at the Prestige Class it really feels like a multiclass monk/cleric. It could work but hardly seems interestingly. Given we haven’t seen anything like it in UA, I doubt we’ll see it any time soon...

gyor

Legend
Or just monks with an Acolyte background...

Looking at the Prestige Class it really feels like a multiclass monk/cleric. It could work but hardly seems interestingly. Given we haven’t seen anything like it in UA, I doubt we’ll see it any time soon...

Sacred Fists did have some unique abilities, it was more then a Cleric/Monk multiclass.

Sacred Fists did have some unique abilities, it was more then a Cleric/Monk multiclass.
It had three over ten levels.
It could wreath a hand in fire, it gained blindsense, and it gained an AC boost. Not inspiring stuff beyond the ability to Iron Fist.

As a prestige class, its story just doubled down on the religious aspects of a monastic warrior. It could work as a 1/3rd spellcasting monk. But it’s not very intersting. And doesn’t do much that an acolyte monk with a couple cleric levels couldn’t do.

For 5e, WotC isn’t doing less content for the sake of content. They seem less likely to just put out a subclass to fill space. I doubt they’ll do a sacred flame without releasing several monk subclasses and seeing which test the best. There’s no point in doing it if people don’t like it...

They wouldn't use it just for flavour knowing the history of the term, I mean Sacred Fist wasn't a specific order of monks in FR it was a skill set.
No, but the monk Hlam is:
http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Hlam

Or rather, he was a cleric. And would be super old now.
Making him an ageless monk justifies having him still around, and making him the Way of the Sacred Fist ties his former life to his current monastic one.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
They wouldn't use it just for flavour knowing the history of the term, I mean Sacred Fist wasn't a specific order of monks in FR it was a skill set.

The Red Wizards of Thay would disagree with your assessment of WotC patterns.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases